This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] - Z-7, Gnome, Change Window Border colour scheme.

Anonymous

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:08:19 am

Zorin-7 (Gnome). Thought I had asked but it seems not. I need now to set up the Window border colour scheme, or themes, on my desktop. They are not yet set up & look naked & unfinished. Any ideas out there?

Anonymous

Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:41:29 am

Wolfman has guides for just about everything ...easy to follow for you to do solo !!!!
Take time to read the forum over !!

Read these threads over... they're pretty much self explanatory.

: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4870

Anonymous

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:18:13 am

Have done a fair but of that earlier. Try to tick the updates would not work & when I clicked Mark all upgrades, I got a great list that could not be downloaded. Tried to copy n paste but it would not. Cursor still revolving; seems locked up. The report seemed to think that some of the repositories may no longer be available, or there could be network problems. - It was quite a list.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:44:33 am

Hi,

I cannot remember if I asked you this somewhere else so forgive me if I did.

Did you do a disk install and did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Have you tried running "FSCK" in recovery mode to check for disk damage?.

Please answer the above before we go any further as your system is showing signs of a faulty install or disk damage I would say!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Anonymous

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:49:47 am

Managed to get one. (Radiance default). Have managed to open it & leave it on the desktop for the moment. Not quite sure what to do with it. -This was easy on the old system. It was simply intuitive, but this time it is a bit of a learning curve. I have tried to burn my DVD disk as slow as possible, which with many new drives is now 8x at the slowest. --Wish they would still run at 2x.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:54:32 am

Hi,

try this terminal command after running "FSCK" in recovery mode:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

The above will force an update!!!!!.

Look through this guide should you still have problems!!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Wolfman

Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:55:59 am

Forgot to ask, what is the maximum burn speed of the disk you used???.

Anonymous

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:06:04 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

I cannot remember if I asked you this somewhere else so forgive me if I did.

Did you do a disk install and did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Have you tried running "FSCK" in recovery mode to check for disk damage?.

Please answer the above before we go any further as your system is showing signs of a faulty install or disk damage I would say!.

I have just run FSCK, twice and it did not report any errors, Other than 0.5% contigious, if that means anything. - No actual error reports.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:14:36 am

Hi,

did you run the force update command as above?.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:23:02 am

Also. I just found this:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/08/phas ... untu-13-04

A possible cause for your update woes??.

Anonymous

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:48:29 am

YES

Anonymous

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:55:12 am

Wolfman wrote:Also. I just found this:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/08/phas ... untu-13-04

A possible cause for your update woes??.

Thanks, that looks very good. All in favour of the phased updates. - Am almost 'there', as soon as the current couple of gripes are fixed. - Feel confident enough with this distro that I have just loaded in all my files. - There will be a few bits of software to obtain, the hard way, as my back-up disk made in Mint seems not to work in Zorin. - That;s o.k. though. The big thing is backing up all my files + address book from Thunderbird. --- Rgds.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:16:42 pm

viking1au wrote:

YES

Hi,

did it work?.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:08:36 pm

Not too sure. - I have run that a few times. - Can't see how it helps loading a colour theme in for window borders. Not sure if it is usable, but I have saved a theme on desktop. Still don't know what to do with it. - This aspect was easy & intuitive in the old (flawed) system.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:25:29 pm

I recently made a few panel themes to match Luna_Xp and Gnomish Dark Themes....and a few more to simplify things for the user.
Haven't had time to post them in the themes section.
if I have time today, I will finish up the others and post them.
Here's one of them along with Gnomish Dark to give you ideas !!!!

Wolfman

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:14:57 pm

Hi,

Datek1 already pointed you to the post install guide earlier in this thread which also covers theming, did you look there?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Anonymous

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:24:16 am

Have seen that previous desktop theme before, it looks good, but I am after lighter looks & more colour. - Will double check the DATEK guide this afternoon as soon as I am back in. Already have Radiance Default tgz saved on my desktop. Not sure what it looks like yet, or regards installing from tgz. - Thx.

Anonymous

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:34:00 am

Datek1 already pointed you to the post install guide earlier in this thread which also covers theming, did you look there?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Tried & got this: laurence@zorin:~$ sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all
[sudo] password for laurence:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package awn-applets-all is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'awn-applets-all' has no installation candidate
laurence@zorin:~$

Wolfman

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:57:11 am

Hi,

did you read the post install guide?:

To install the meta package I was referring to, open a terminal and paste this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all

The above is only for Zorin 6!.

For Zorin 7 if you cannot find the meta package in the repositories, please download the .deb packages you want from here:

http://pkgs.org/

Make sure you download the correct package for your system, from the available packages listed under the Ubuntu OS, either 32 or 64 Bit, or you can download the all.deb packages which work on both systems!. (Ubuntu 12.04 = Zorin 6 and Ubuntu 13.04 = Zorin 7)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Anonymous

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:26:31 pm

did you read the post install guide?:

To install the meta package I was referring to, open a terminal and paste this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all

The above is only for Zorin 6!.

For Zorin 7 if you cannot find the meta package in the repositories, please download the .deb packages you want from here:

Make sure you download the correct package for your system, from the available packages listed under the Ubuntu OS, either 32 or 64 Bit, or you can download the all.deb packages which work on both systems!. (Ubuntu 12.04 = Zorin 6 and Ubuntu 13.04 = Zorin 7)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Here is the result again; something is wrong::sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all
Building dependency tree
Package awn-applets-all is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'awn-applets-all' has no installation candidate
laurence@zorin:~$ sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all

Wolfman

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:52:24 pm

Hi,

you need to download the packages from:

That command ONLY works for Zorin 6!.

Anonymous

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:29:23 am

you need to download the packages from:

That command ONLY works for Zorin 6!.

I can't see what I am supposed to be looking for in that link. Seems like a heap of different apps & O.S. packages. - Rgds.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:07:02 am

Hi,

type a package name or description in the search panel and a window should open like this:
Search Results for slickswitcher - Mozilla Firefox_035.jpg

In my example; I searched for "slickswitcher", you must then click on the appropriate package for your system, either 32 or 64 bit or an "all.deb" package which works on both systems, make sure you click on the correct version of Ubuntu, Zorin 6 = Ubuntu 12.04, Zorin 7 = Ubuntu 13.04 but some of the packages will work on any version of Ubuntu!.

Once downloaded; install using "Gdebi".

Anonymous

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:11:27 am

I give up! Each time I attempted to get a download I got led to a page that wanted t give me downloads for flv player. -- Found what appeared to be copy n paste Terminal lines so tried them. - Nothing worked. This so far is the hardest part of the install, where with the previous system it was intuitive. One found it with ease & installed the extras and it worked. -- This one is a real brain fader. -- Somewhere in the middle of all this I read that Zorin (or Ubuntu) had done away with Awn Applets. Is this so, and what will replace them? -- Rgds.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:06:29 pm

Hi,

for Zorin 7 (Ubuntu 13.04), you must downlaod each AWN applet seperately, thats all there is to it!. The "all applets package" only works for Zorin 6 (Ubuntu 12.04) and earlier!.

I don't know what link you clicked on to get the FLV package sorry!.

Anonymous

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:32:12 am

Have already done this; nothing seems to happen. --Output here; regards:
laurence@zorin:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
You are about to add the following PPA to your system:
The main Web Upd8 PPA maintained by: http://www.webupd8.org/

To add this PPA, simply paste this in a terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

Packages in this PPA: audacious, ap-hotspot, awn-applet-radio, awn-applet-wm, calise, cmus, dockbarx, dockbarx-themes-extra, dropbox-share, emerald, exaile, fbmessenger, gnome-subtitles, gnome-window-applets, grsync, grive, gthumb, launchpad-getkeys, mc, mdm (Mint Display Manager), minitunes, minitube, musique, notifyosdconfig, nautilus-columns, powertop, ppa-purge, rosa-media-player, fixed pulseaudio-equalizer, subtitleeditor, syncwall, umplayer, unity-reboot, wimlib, youtube-dl, xfce4-dockbarx-plugin, xournal, yad and others. Almost all packages are updated to their latest version.

For other (specialized) PPAs we maintain, see: https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team
More info: https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+archive/webupd8
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpk8iju1/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpk8iju1/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key 4C9D234C from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: /tmp/tmpk8iju1/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 4C9D234C: public key "Launchpad webupd8" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
OK
laurence@zorin:~$ # sudo apt-get update
laurence@zorin:~$ sudo apt-get install awn-applet-slickswitcher
Building dependency tree
awn-applet-slickswitcher is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
gir1.2-json-1.0 gir1.2-timezonemap-1.0 gir1.2-xkl-1.0 kde-l10n-engb
libgconf2-4 linux-headers-3.8.0-23 linux-headers-3.8.0-23-generic
linux-image-3.8.0-23-generic linux-image-extra-3.8.0-23-generic
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
laurence@zorin:~$ AND:

To add this PPA, simply paste this in a terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8

Packages in this PPA: audacious, ap-hotspot, awn-applet-radio, awn-applet-wm, calise, cmus, dockbarx, dockbarx-themes-extra, dropbox-share, emerald, exaile, fbmessenger, gnome-subtitles, gnome-window-applets, grsync, grive, gthumb, launchpad-getkeys, mc, mdm (Mint Display Manager), minitunes, minitube, musique, notifyosdconfig, nautilus-columns, powertop, ppa-purge, rosa-media-player, fixed pulseaudio-equalizer, subtitleeditor, syncwall, umplayer, unity-reboot, wimlib, youtube-dl, xfce4-dockbarx-plugin, xournal, yad and others. Almost all packages are updated to their latest version.

For other (specialized) PPAs we maintain, see: https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team
More info: https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+archive/webupd8
Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it

gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpcu2_pp/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmpcu2_pp/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key 4C9D234C from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: /tmp/tmpcu2_pp/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 4C9D234C: public key "Launchpad webupd8" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
OK

And nothing happens....................................................

Wolfman

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:27:33 am

Hi,

once you add the PPA you must then install the packages you want from that PPA, they do not install automatically, the message you show is correct, after installing the PPA you must then update your software list by refreshing it and then use the install command for the package you want!.

Example:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnomishgray-theme

"gnomishgray-theme" is one of the Gnomish set of themes from Webup8!.

Anonymous

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04:50 am

Is there something other than Gnomishgray? Does not sound too exciting. In Mint I had Clearlooks2 (red & green buttons) with "Thinice" (bluish) borders. Nice!---At least I can say Wobbly Windows have been working reliably with no glitches. - Rgds.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:32:31 pm

Hi,

you can start here:

http://www.webupd8.org/search/label/eye ... results=10

Anonymous

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:14:28 am

Hi, I notice in that link that it is possble to load Mate 1.6 in Gnome 2. - Just wondered if you have had experince of this, or if it may be seen to have all the flaws to be found in Mint 15? - Rgds.
PS; Below is a paste from my attempt to load Gnomish Gray theme. -- Rgds.

laurence@zorin:~$ sudo apt-get install gnomishgray-theme
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package gnomishgray-theme
Tried to install the Gnome theme at the bottom of the page in the last link. Part way through, Terminal gave a message that only one theme manager could run at once and I would have configuring to do. - Not knowing if I would know what I was doing, or maybe mess somthing up, I simply got out of terminal fast, simply by closing it. -- Regards.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:30:20 am

Hi,

open Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Other Software and check that the Webupd8 PPA is showing in your list!.
Software & Updates_037.jpg

If it isn't, you should try and install the Webupd8 PPA again!.

Sorry but I have not tried Mate!.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:51:40 am

There are numerous entries for webupd8/ubuntu raring main and webupd8 raring main (source code), only one of them ticked, but nothing that specifically states webupd8/teams/PPA
Now I have to retrace how it is installed, or can I simply copy it and add it? - Rgds.

P.S.: Tried adding the line with gdebi in front. - Doesnt work, needs more.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33:30 am

Hi Laurence,

sorry; I should have been more specific, make sure that all the entries that have the name "Webupd8" in them are ticked as there are more than one of them!!. Then refresh your software sources list and search for "gnomish" in the search panel of Synaptic, you can also try searching for anything that has "gtk3" included in it name/description!.

Another theme set is "shimmer" which offers a couple of themes!.

Gdebi is a single package installer and trying to enter its name in the apt install command won't work!.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:16:41 am

O.K. All those webupd8 files ended in (source code), but all now are ticked. --- Reload has been done.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32:08 am

Synaptic does not recognise gnomish, but lists 2 files under 'gnomeish' as Libre Office suites, and that is all. (GTK AND GTK3).

Anonymous

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47:25 am

Hang on, this Shimmer file wants something like gtk murrine, and that wants another 11 files. Where does it all end? This is getting silly. --Rgds.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:28:54 am

OMG-----Too easy. Forgot all about all that & went looking. - Found the tweak tool & got Bluebird running in 'Theme> Gtk+theme. - I am not overly struck with it, but it is better than I had, and more usable. Don't like the dark look drop down menus but all else o.k.
CALL IT SOLVED & LET'S GET OUT OF HERE! - REGARDS.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:55:08 am

Hi L,

I don't know why you aren't getting "gnomish" to show up in Synaptic if all the Webupd8 PPA links are ticked, very strange?.

Try changing your download location which you can learn to do via the update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

I will mark this as solved nonetheless, if you have any Q's, you can still post them!.

Anonymous

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:31:01 am

I do not think they are entered. I got sick of looking, or trying to get it & install the line.I simply went to Tweak Tool which let me do it. Not sure yet if it added the appropriate line. I was glad to do it via the GUI and get out of there, having spent so long on it. Will check Synaptic & leave a line here re the results. - rgds.
On checking, the only 'upd8team lines I find (1 not ticked, marked as source code) are webupd8team/java/ubuntu raring main,so no, I think that other line may still be missing. -- How so, when I got it from built in tweak tool? -- Rgds.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:59:47 am

Hi,

you can delete the Webupd8 PPA's from the software sources list and then try adding the PPA again and see if that helps, I don't know why they aren't working correctly sorry!.

Here is a nice set of themes:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/zonc ... for-ubuntu

For more themes, start here:

http://linux-lounge.deviantart.com/gallery/

Follow the instructions for each package as shown!. They may differ!!.