This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to access windows partitions with Zorin ?

moooha

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:32:52 pm

Actually, this is the first time I use Zorin,
It's good and I like it but the issue is that I want to access the partitions of Windows,
Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks in advance :)

Anonymous

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:55:48 pm

You have to physically go to that Windows partition such as " C " ..." ? " in properties and make sure you have the "sharing option "enabled before you can see that " Windows " partition from the Zorin OS side.
Then go to " Network " from the Zorin OS side and view the folders.

I'm always overly secure with system security.
Important... you will want to have your user account password activated on the " Windows " !!!!
You will have to enter your " Windows " user account name and password on the Zorin OS side to access the folder/s on Windows.
Your Windows folders will look something like the Screenshot below.

Example How > Go to " C " and rigt click on that folder and scroll to the properties to enable sharing there.
Click "apply " > then " ok " > your finished.
>>Reboot<<
Now you should see Windows.

This should mainly be done if you have Zorin OS and Windows on separate computers or a network storage drive within your own local area network !!!!

Wolfman

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:11:13 pm

Hi,

if you are not worried about security, you can simply open your home folder and click on the partition you want mounted!. In my case it is Compaq which is my Windows partition.
Home_034.jpg

You can automount the partitions at boot if you want to using Dconf Editor:

Stop/Start Media Auto Mounting:
Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Desktop > Media-Handling > Automount/Automount-open/Autorun Never

Regards Wolfman :D

moooha

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:16:49 am

Thanks datek1,
But I think it's too late for that,
as during the installation I choose the option of removing Windows,
I don't know why... but I did it :)

moooha

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:03:36 am

Thank you Wolfman,
for the first part, I think it's not the case here, I don't get to see the partitions like you do,
here's a screenshot,
For the second part, I installed Dconf Editor and I did what you said but I don't see any change.
I used Ubuntu before and I was able to open the partitions of Windows,
I don't know why this is happening this time.
I think there might be a problem here :)

Wolfman

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:04:31 pm

Hi,

if you don't have Windows then you don't need to worry as your home folder (partition) is auto-mounted at boot, if you don't have any other partitions apart from Linux root (Computer), you don't need to mount anything, any USB sticks or disks should ask you what you want to do upon inserting them!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Anonymous

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:06:54 pm

Thanks datek1,
But I think it's too late for that,
as during the installation I choose the option of removing Windows,
I don't know why... but I did it :)

moooha

moooha > Sounds like you >> basically wiped Windows away permanentlty when you installed Zorin OS !!!!

Hope you had a backup.

Your not going to see anything that isn't there !!!!! >> " Windows " << :D :D

You can always access another " Windows Machine " the way I described earlier.

If you by any chance want to revert and start from scratch.
And you don't have a Windows 7 ISO > Looky Here >> : http://superuser.com/questions/78761/wh ... -microsoft
If you need a different version....yell !!!!