This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

motherboard/processor combos

Snowy Rivers

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:00:53 pm

Hi all

After spending about 2 weeks fooling with Z OS 7 ULTIMATE I love it.

Sadly the machine I put it on is junk, with several serious issues.

I am looking at getting a new high end case ( Thermaltake level 10 GT) and building an all new from the ground up system.

I don't need 500 bazzzzilion gigs of ram and or processor speeds so fast that the paint burns off the case, but rather reliability and durability.

I want to use an INTEL processor that's fairly close to state of the art, and a mobo that's in a similar catagory.

8 gigs of ram will suffice, but the more the merrier eh ???

I want PCIE graphics that will work with my LG 42 inch screen.

As I mentioned, reliability is the big deal.

I don't like to have to fiddle with things constantly, I want to bolt the beast together, kick it in the **** and use it.

Spending a **** ton of $$$$$$ is not the goal either, just a great looking, easy to work on and reliable system.

OK
INPUT PLEASE
What mobo in the atx factor and processor combo do you folks like that will GITTERDONE ????/

I dont want to go cheap, but dont need a water pumper either.

A board in the $350 range maybe give or take.

I have read tons of horror stories and reviews of junk that does not work.

I want my Zorin box to work right the first Rodeo.

Snowy

Wolfman

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:45:23 am

Hi Snowy,

I use a HP Compaq Presario with a dual core Athlon CPU and an Nvidia GT430 graphics card and 4GB RAM and it runs fine, I would say any HP PC would be fine, mine cost me €400 two years ago and runs without hassle.

My other Notebook PC is from Packard Bell with an older ATI 4200 graphics card and dual core AMD CPU, the only problem with that is the graphics card which runs Zorin 7 with the open source drivers because it is older!. It still runs fine though!.

I would search the web for other answers and maybe some of the other Zroin forum members have other ideas!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Snowy Rivers

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:42:22 pm

thanks for the reply

Snowy