This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Is possible use zorin in Ram?

pp4mnklinux

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:23:06 am

Hello everybody:

First of all.- Zorin is my default operating system but... I've got another partitions, one with win7 (work demands) and other with Zorin Lite and other to install LInux versions.

I tried Puppy Linux in this one, and I were really 'amazed' with it. It works really fast and I wanna know If I can use Zorin in ram like this Linux distro.

I forgot Puppy because it hasn't got support for 802.11n so my internet speed is limited to 802.11g (that is 20Mb/s instead of 150)

So my questions:

-Is it possible to use Zorin in Ram (install it on HD, and use it as fast as Puppy Linux)

-Is it possible to find the drivers for my wireless card for linux (802.11N 150 Wireless USB Adapter 3.5dBi CONCEPTRONIC C150uan) so I can install drivers for Puppy Linux

Thanks in Advance (I know this is a Zorin forum, so the second question is not correctly posted, but this is a REALLY GOOD forum, so I can obtain answers - I can't received help at Puppy Linux Forum)

Have a Nice Day :arrow:

Wolfman

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:30:49 am

Hi,

I don't think it is possible to run in RAM but you can install the Lite version of Zorin 7 which is based on Lubuntu and isn't resource hungry!.

Madvinegar is the man for WiFi problems, I am sure he can help you with that when he comes online!. That said, you could try the live version of Zorin 7 Lite and see because later versions of Ubuntu have better WiFi hardware support!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:18:42 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:When you run Zorin in 'Live' mode you are running it in RAM! ;)

Exactly. You can create a live USB/sd Card/HDD of Zorin with persistent space and boot through it. It will be running in ram.
However, puppy is so fast because it is extremely light! It uses a very low amount of ram to run. On the other side, zorin needs more ram (it has many daemons and resources that run in the background) having as a result to run better and faster when it is actually installed than when it is run in ram as a live session.

Why do you need the drivers of your wireless card for puppy? I thought you said that puppy recognises your wifi card without any problem (it just runs on "g" speeds rather than "n" speeds). I suppose this is limited due to the whole construction of puppy (but I have not searched thoroughly about the specific matter).

In case you want to know the exact drivers and model of your card, please post back the results of the following terminal commands:

lspci -nn | grep 0280
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network

Wolfman

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:42:07 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:When you run Zorin in 'Live' mode you are running it in RAM! ;)

Hi chaps,

I think you missed the question:

"Is it possible to use Zorin in Ram (install it on HD, and use it as fast as Puppy Linux)"

They want to run it permanently in RAM, installing it to the HDD won't do that!.

madvinegar

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:32:36 pm

WM just replace the usb stick with an HDD. That is, use unebootin and a Zorin ISO but extract the image(iso) on the HDD and not on a USB stick.
You will have one huge "USB STICK" with the Zorin ISO booting in live session and using the system ram. You will not install zorin on the disk. You will just extract its image on the disk.

This is exactly what puppy linux is also about. A live usb with persistent space to save changes. You can do that with any linux distro (since you can run it in live session), however, as I explained, this works only with puppy linux because the ram it consumes is minimal plus the apps preloaded on it use minimal ram as well !
Zorin needs several MBs of ram to run properly (and run the heavy apps) so it is better to install it than run it in live session.

For example DSL (Damn small linux) also works similarly.
You just need to create 3 partitions.
hda1 at the beginning which will be the bootable partition.
hda2 at the end which will be the swap partition (usually double the size of your ram).
hda3 in the middle which will be the partition with the rest of your hdd size, and will be the storage unit.

It is actually "installed" in the HDD but uses one partition (as a usb drive) to boot in live session and run in ram.

:D

pp4mnklinux

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:13:38 pm

Thanks everybody for your help:

@madvinegar.- results of terminal commands

pp4mnk@pp4mnk-System-Product-Name:~$ lspci -nn | grep 0280
pp4mnk@pp4mnk-System-Product-Name:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c051 Logitech, Inc. G3 (MX518) Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 045e:00dd Microsoft Corp. Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 V1.0
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 002 Device 008: ID 148f:3370 Ralink Technology, Corp.
Bus 002 Device 039: ID 0aec:3260 Neodio Technologies Corp. 7-in-1 Card Reader
pp4mnk@pp4mnk-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo lshw -c network
[sudo] password for pp4mnk:
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 06
serial: 20:cf:30:e3:09:75
size: 10Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
resources: irq:40 ioport:d800(size=256) memory:f6fff000-f6ffffff memory:f6ff8000-f6ffbfff
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@2:1.6.4
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:22:f7:29:59:8a
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt2800usb driverversion=3.2.0-52-generic-pae firmware=0.29 ip=192.168.1.39 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
pp4mnk@pp4mnk-System-Product-Name:~$

Where can I find the linux drivers for my card.??

THANKS A LOT :arrow:

madvinegar

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:26:10 pm

Your wifi card is "ID 148f:3370 Ralink Technology, Corp." As I see it is a usb stic (or it is connected via the USB interface).
The driver it uses is rt2800usb. Some info about this driver can be found here: https://wiki.debian.org/rt2800usb

As you will read, the firmware comes preloaded since kernel 2.6.31.

madvinegar

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:29:02 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
Now I am curious to know how much RAM puppy uses - Quelitu only uses 98 Mb of RAM after install! :D

I will tell you tomorrow. I installed yesterday puppy linux on an old laptop so I will check it out. I think it is about 50mb.

I also installed DSL on an ANCIENT laptop and it uses 16,5mb of ram when idle ! :D
(The total ram of this laptop is 60mb...)

pp4mnklinux

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:33:38 pm

Thanks a lot for your help, and of course your velocity when answering

This is one of the reasons make this forum so good

HAVE A NICE DAY

madvinegar

Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:47:42 am

Swarf, puppy uses even less ram than I thought. About 41-43mb at idle.
See the screenshot.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:00:41 am

madvinegar wrote:WM just replace the usb stick with an HDD. That is, use unebootin and a Zorin ISO but extract the image(iso) on the HDD and not on a USB stick.
You will have one huge "USB STICK" with the Zorin ISO booting in live session and using the system ram. You will not install zorin on the disk. You will just extract its image on the disk.

This is exactly what puppy linux is also about. A live usb with persistent space to save changes. You can do that with any linux distro (since you can run it in live session), however, as I explained, this works only with puppy linux because the ram it consumes is minimal plus the apps preloaded on it use minimal ram as well !
Zorin needs several MBs of ram to run properly (and run the heavy apps) so it is better to install it than run it in live session.

For example DSL (Damn small linux) also works similarly.
You just need to create 3 partitions.
hda1 at the beginning which will be the bootable partition.
hda2 at the end which will be the swap partition (usually double the size of your ram).
hda3 in the middle which will be the partition with the rest of your hdd size, and will be the storage unit.

It is actually "installed" in the HDD but uses one partition (as a usb drive) to boot in live session and run in ram.

:D

Hi MV,

I misunderstood the situation myself, I bow to your superior knowledge!!. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

madvinegar

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:54:05 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi MV,

I misunderstood the situation myself, I bow to your superior knowledge!!. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Superior Knowledge...? Me?

I believe your knowledge is far more superior than mine. Especially when it comes to partitioning, installation etc. ;)

I recently had the "pleasure" of bringing two ancient laptops back to life by installing puppy on one and DSL on the other, so I had to do it through "trial and error" as I did not have any previous experience about it.