This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem while Playing YouTube Videos

OogaBooga

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:06:42 am

I am having an on-going issue with YouTube videos. All I do is play a YT video and
then at intermitant times, it will sound a ding in the background and my computer is
then Frozen! Most of the time, I can depress Alt-Ctrl-Del and will get a log-out prompt.
So I log out and log back in and re-start the FF browser only to wait for the next beep
and out of business!

But now it is not even allowing me to log out anymore. I have to depress and hold the
power button on the PC and make it halt. Then re-start it.

It is getting very annoying, to say the LEAST!!

What can I do?

HP Slimline PC
E5300
4gigs ram
128 SS HDD

Anonymous

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:53:52 am

Check back later early AM/Thurs our time for a response.
The ones who know about that sort of thing will be on the forum later.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:28:30 am

Hi,

firstly you need to make sure that your system is fully up-to-date by running "DPKG" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A network cable connection is required!.

What graphics card does it have?, if it is an Nvidia card, see this thread and load the correct PPA for your system:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Do you have the Medibuntu repo active and have you installed the codecs pack?, see the guide about Medibuntu repo and codecs install:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Let us know if it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

OogaBooga

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:38:43 am

No I have not done DPKG as I thought this was suppose to be a complete and working OS from the start. But I will try that. I thought by agreeing with the updates that pop up every now and then that I should be up to date?

Intel mother board has built in Intel video.

I have not messed with any repos. Shouldn't that be already done with the installation of this OS?

I mean... isn't this suppose to be a windows EASY transformation to Linux? Seems like I must do MORE with this distro than I have had with others that do Not claim to be a windows like OS.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:44:43 am

Hi,

even in Windows you must install codecs packs and do system updates which take ten times as long, running DPKG is a sure way of making certain that all updates are done at once!!.

OogaBooga

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:52:51 pm

I have done everything possible and am still having several issues with this OS! I now can't even shut down normally due to my user name missing from the main panel. Everything else is there though. Strange.
This OS is not very good and am now forced to find another distro. I am including a screenshot so you can witness the user name missing from the right side of the panel.

EDIT: wow and I DID attach a screenshot and it said successful, but now I see it didn't work! Crazy... what a joke!

Wolfman

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:23:54 am

Hi,

if you don't run "DPKG" as I suggested, you won't fully update the system to rectify your problems!.

Adding pics to the forum sometimes doesn't work, just try it again please.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Did you install the Medibuntu repo?.