This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) How to create or add shortcuts to taskbar?

2Stoned

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04:49 pm

Hello fellow Zoriners

I was looking on the forum for an answer but i could not find any so here is my question;
how can i add more shortcuts on the taskbar with the same behaviour as the other shortcuts like chrome and bansee for example?

I know how to add shortcuts to the taskbar but they will act like regular shortcuts, i want the the blue point (orbit) to appear underneath when hovering over the shortcuts ;)

tnx in advance

BTW i would like to thanks the dev team for their amazing work. Im very pleased with Zorin OS, keep it up!

maxmm5

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:48:38 pm

Hi 2Stone, Welcome... open any program, then right click the icon that appears on the taskbar and from the popup window click "Pin application" and your done. Please take a look on the attach example. Enjoy.

2Stoned

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:20:07 pm

lol thanks ;) did not not try this before. It worked, appriciate the help max!

cheers

PSB136

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:47:14 am

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm amazed by Zorin! First time I found a Linux that seriously made me want to ditch Windows. :)

Anyway, regarding the above, is there a way to also create a keyboard shortcut for the apps on the taskbar? My wife is used to hitting Shift+Ctrl+B on Windows to open Excel with our budget, and unless she can do it with Zorin, she won't use it. :(

Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:42:34 pm

PSB136 wrote:Hi, I'm new here, and I'm amazed by Zorin! First time I found a Linux that seriously made me want to ditch Windows. :)

Anyway, regarding the above, is there a way to also create a keyboard shortcut for the apps on the taskbar? My wife is used to hitting Shift+Ctrl+B on Windows to open Excel with our budget, and unless she can do it with Zorin, she won't use it. :(

Thanks!

Here you go! - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Keybindings

Open up System Settings, Select Keyboard, then select 'shortcuts' tab and then 'customise' to create your own launcher combinations:

Screenshot Keyboard shortcuts.png
Screenshot Keyboard shortcuts.png (11 KiB)

PSB136

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:07:02 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Open up System Settings, Select Keyboard, then select 'shortcuts' tab and then 'customise' to create your own launcher combinations

Hi, thanks; but the key binding (Shift+Ctrl+B to launch "libreoffice --calc /media/psb136/Apps/Wife/[Budget].xls") doesn't work. No reaction. I've got that same document pinned to the taskbar, and clicking the taskbar icon works fine to launch it, so it's not a case of the path being invalid or anything. Just the shortcut keys don't work.

[Edit] Never mind, I read http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1160782 and realised I can set it with CompizConfig instead. All well! :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:19:02 pm

Hi PSB136, glad you are sorted - rather than [SOLVED] i will mark as [RESOLVED] as you found a different solution. I will have a play at some point and see what I can achieve and report back in due course! :D

Oops! can't mark as [RESOLVED] as you are not the Original Poster [OP] so will wait for 2stone to get back to us! :D

blfriis

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:01:04 pm

PSB136 wrote:Hi, I'm new here, and I'm amazed by Zorin! First time I found a Linux that seriously made me want to ditch Windows. :)

Thanks!

Remember you can also use "super +" . You can add 10 shortcuts this way http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3801