This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 7 and ATI Radeon driver

iowtheme

Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:41:04 pm

Hi All

Need same HELP Plz with my Laptop with Zorin OS 7 Core is the standard desktop version.

Now have install to my Laptop need same help with the ATI Radeon™ 3100 Graphics driver.

( 1 ) I have install fglrx this is not working, Now displaying black line just above the status bar along the screen.
( 2 ) Now Reinstall Zorin OS 7 Core
( 3 ) I have install amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64 and this is not working with the same result.

Am I doing something wrong.

Can any one HELP Plz

Satellite L300D-21X
Part number: PSLC8E-04U02EEN
AMD Sempron™ Processor for Notebooks SI-40
Toshiba TruBrite® WXGA TFT High Brightness display
120 GB
1.5 MB DDR2 RAM (800 MHz)
ATI Radeon™ 3100 Graphics
http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-p ... l300d-21x/

iowtheme

Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:15:55 pm

Thank you swarfendor437

Yes it work fine with the standard graphics drivers but the 3D effect will not run It canked out,

But I wood like to see the ATi / AMD drive install for the 3D effect?

Wolfman

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:06:35 am

Hi,

you have an older ATI graphics card and the newer drivers don't work well for the older cards, I have an older card on my notebook from the 4xxx series and use the open source dirvers only as any other drivers cause problems.

You can get drivers from here but use them at your own risk:

http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/install ... rs-in.html

I tried the drivers once myself but they just caused me problems!.

Regards Wolfman :D

iowtheme

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:29:51 pm

Thank Wolfman
Now testing amd driver
Now got a problem with run AMD Catalyst" installer
It ask for my password, enter password and nothing happena with install?
Do you have any ideas plz

Wolfman

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:56:03 am

Hi,

sorry but I don't, this is why I said "Use at your own risk", I had nothing but problems myself but I cannot remember if I had a problem with the password!.

You can try this but it may break your system and/or reduce your graphics to an unuseable state, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and type the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx

Then restart your system, if you have a problem with your screen, restart in recovery mode and go to "root" (Drop to root shell prompt) and type the command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove fglrx

Restart your PC with Ctrl + Altr + Del, do not click on "Resume" !!!!!.

Use the above commands at your own risk!.

Let us know if it helps.

iowtheme

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:56:30 pm

Thank Wolfman

I have install fglrx this is not working,

Now displaying black line just above the status bar along the screen.

In display menu the screen is set to 1024 x 768

Now Uninstall fglrx back to normal

In display menu the screen is set to 1280 x 800

Look like the ATi / AMD Driver will not install on my laptop not cool

Dos anyone else have any ideas thank you

iowtheme

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:08:26 pm

Hi All
Now TEST Zorin OS 7 on my main Loptop I buy in 2010
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core
3Gb Ram
ATi Radeon Mobile HD4530 512 Ram

Be for I have install Driver Laptop display is set to 1366 x 768 ( 16.9 ) with STD OS 7 install.

I now have install.
1st: sudo apt-get install fglrx it show up in menu and no AMD water mark I have try run the AMD Catalyst and say No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.
It Displaying black line just above the status bar along the screen.
Laptop display NOW is set to 1024 x 768

Now wiped hard drive and start again
2nd: now run in Terminal catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run I have two run is command --force to install the driver but it show error in the install.
I have try run the AMD Catalyst and say No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.
It Displaying black line just above the status bar along the screen.
Laptop display NOW is set to 1024 x 768

So I have the same result will not install or run it is doing it with 2 laptop Not Good is it a compatible issue with Zorin OS 7

Wolfman

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:54:26 am

Hi,

anything below the ATi Radeon Mobile HD5xxx series doesn't work well at all with the ATI drivers, you are better off with the open source drivers as I have the same problem on my notebook with a HD4xxx graphics card!.

To remove the FGLRX drivers, start in recovery mode and first go to "Network" (network cable required) and activate the network connection, the go to "Root" and type the command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove fglrx

and then restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on "Resume".

nascar59

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:41:05 pm

Hi IOWTHEME i Had a similar problem and google it "Black Bar around monitor once" and here is somes help i got from, hope this help you it did for me it remove the Black bar around my monitor.Ray

Go to http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...erPreview.aspx
and install the ATI 11.8 preview drivers.
Once installed, open the catalyst Control center (you should have a red icon in the notification tray)
and in one of the settings there is an "overscan" setting.
you should see a slider, position it to "0%" and you should have full screen.
For some reason the overscan defaul setting is set at -15%, hence the black bars.
I spent quite a lot of time on this, mainly because the bootcamp ATI drivers did not have any setting page I could find. I then installed the official 11.7 drivers, but I could not get the Catalist Control Center to show up, not sure why.

Finally after reading forums for hours I gave the 11.8 a try, as it seems there are some improvements (but mostly performances) for the HD 6xxx graphics cards, then finally it worked and i could access the overscan settings.

You may want to try first to see if you have the overscan setting before installing any new drivers.

Hope this helps

----------

Actually, i just checked and the Catalyst 11.8 official drivers are available since 8/21. You may want to try those.
I did not try it yet.

provenpcs

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:12:25 am

Can someone tell me how to find Catalyst once I have installed it at the Terminal?

I am very new to Zorin 7.1, which seems to be working for me well so far. I just don't know much about this operating system yet.

I typed fglrxinfo, and it looks like the driver is installed correctly.

Thank you,
Steven

Wolfman

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:52:42 am

Hi Steven,

you should find it under Menu > System Tools > Administration or Preferences.

You do know that Zorin 7 is no longer supported don't you?.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6277

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:48:33 am

HI, I can't remember who posted about AMD (ATi) (madvinegar?) but AMD have stopped support for GNU/Linux I think - not sure if all cards or not. I have an on-board gallium 0.4 AMD chipset which was fine with the open drivers and got screwed with fglrx - so I upgraded to an nVidia GT620 and all appears to be well.