This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to resolve 3g modem issues with no connection?

jm78

Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:13:35 pm

Hi,

You mentioned, that we need internet connection for this action. And what is the solution, if I don't have other type of internet connection? I have just mobile broadband.

thanks for answer

Wolfman

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:40:54 am

Hi,

please post oringinal question again as all the thread details are missing sorry, it seems to have happened when the post was moved and I don't see any details!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:08:02 am

Hi,

has the OP tried running the live CD and does the internet connection work with that?.

madvinegar

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:44:47 am

I cannot find my guide "How to install latest modeswitch". Has it been deleted?

Wolfman

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:47:26 am

madvinegar wrote:I cannot find my guide "How to install latest modeswitch". Has it been deleted?

Hi MV,

seems the first part of your guide is gone, it most likely happened when the other post was moved!??????. I cannot find it either!.

That aside, I ask my question again, did the internet connection work with the Live CD???.

madvinegar

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:16:37 am

WM the OP is probably talking about a 3g dongle. If the modeswitch is an old version, it would not be recognised no matter what (live CD or not).

The thing is that in order to get the latest modeswich you need to download 2 packages (they are in the repos) plus two modeswitch files with the new data.
This can only be done if you have internet connection. When you buy a 3g dongle it comes with a CD with drivers (or the drivers are installed internally) but it's only good for windows or MAC.
For linux, either you are lucky and the ID of the dongle is recognised automatically by the "old" version of modeswitch, or you need to download and install the latest one.

The other method I have found which is very easy and helpful is to install and run "sakis3g" program.
I can give the link to download it so you can do that from another PC that actually has internet connection and then transfer it to the PC that does not have internet connection via a USB stick.
You just download it, right click it > properties > allow executing as a program and then double click it to run it.
You follow a set of easy questions and hopefully at the end you get connected. It has the option to even create a desktop shortcut which you can use to connect/disconnect. I think its much easier than modeswitch. Maybe I should prepare a guide about it at some point.
It is completely separate though from network manager (unlike modeswitch). This is no big deal ofcourse.

The link is here: http://ubuntuone.com/483w3IX72DN3lOlGFcrxQK
I have uploaded it onto my ubuntu one account.