This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS blocked

oroles

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:13:46 am

Hi!
My wife uses Zorin OS 6.4 on a Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook. She has one big issue. After a time of use the screen blocks suddenly. I have installed the graphic driver (proprietary), but the issue still persists. Does anyone have an idea about how to solve this issue?
Thanks.

madvinegar

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24:30 am

Can you tell us a little more about your GPU?
Please post back the result of
Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA

oroles

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:13:22 pm

madvinegar wrote:Can you tell us a little more about your GPU?
Please post back the result of
Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA

Hi madvinegar!
This is the output of your code:
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)
   Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:01bd]
   Kernel driver in use: i915
   Kernel modules: intelfb, i915

The laptop freezes and I should give restart from button.

oroles

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:16:21 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Could this be the issue?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5359#p25601

Hi swarfendor437!
I am sure that is not my wife's laptop issue. I'm not a noob, but this issue is harder than I think.

madvinegar

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:06:46 pm

There is no proprietary driver for your card. Your card is intel 945GM and uses the free driver i915.
There is no need to install any driver. It is included in the kernel of your OS.
Can you please describe what you did when you say that "you installed the proprietary driver"?

oroles

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:39:17 pm

madvinegar wrote:There is no proprietary driver for your card. Your card is intel 945GM and uses the free driver i915.
There is no need to install any driver. It is included in the kernel of your OS.
Can you please describe what you did when you say that "you installed the proprietary driver"?

After Zorin OS instalation I run jockey-gtk from terminal. In this window I found 3 graphic drivers. One of them was alpha version, another vas beta and one was stable. I chose the stable version for instalation. I have instaled this version.
I observed that the laptop freezes when my wife uses Mozilla browser.

I will make a RAM memory test to see if there are issues.

For example, I seen that when I give a restart from shut down menu the laptop freezes.

oroles

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:38:23 pm

oroles wrote:
madvinegar wrote:
I will make a RAM memory test to see if there are issues.

The ram test shows that is no issue.

madvinegar

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:03:00 pm

Can you uninstall this driver from jockey-gtk and reboot?

Also, as I am curious, can you please post what are the 3 options proposed in jockey-gtk?

Uzi

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:59:45 pm

Guys,

I have had this problem now for a week or 2. Seems to stem from a download update. See my thread:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5103

I reinstalled by upgrading from 6.3 core to 6.4 core and the freezing stopped until I used Wine & played Sins of a Solar Empire. It runs & plays fine but freezes when I close it. This is the only freeze issue now.

No answer but perhaps a clue to where the bug is....... graphics card? Wine?

Uzi.

Wolfman

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:08:25 am

Hi,

try running "DPKG" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A network cable is required for the above!.

For Uzi's problem, I suggested (See his thread) installing the package "mono-complete" which helps with gaming graphics problems!. Open a terminal and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Regards Wolfman :D