This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

OMEGA ACCU 6000 Scanner

jamesboyer

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:13:23 pm

I have an Omega Mega Accu 6000 Scanner and Zorin is not recognizing it. Can yo guys help me to have it running?

I installed the SANE/libsane and updated the API library for scanners and it doesn't work

madvinegar

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:01:30 pm

Is it connected via USB? if yes please post the result of
Code:
lspci

so as to see the id of the scanner.

jamesboyer

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:47:25 pm

I do not get any kind of ID, since it doesn't recognized it. If there are special instructions to do this please guide me through the steps.
Thanks...

jamesboyer

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:48:37 pm

Ahhhh... it's usb connected

Wolfman

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:53:29 am

Hi,

is the scanner plugged in, powered up and connected directly to the PC or is it going through a USB HUB?, have you tried clicking on the printers icon in System Settings > Hardware > Printers?.

Is there a "Lock" on the scanner and is it set to "Off", you may need to look underneath, or is the scanner working fine under Windows?.

Let us know please.

Regards Wolfman :D

jamesboyer

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:35:59 am

The scanner is connected, there is no on/off switch anywhere around the equipment, the not lock is not on, the scanner is not shown under the printer icon in the system settings....

Wolfman

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:47:15 am

Hi,

have you done a full system update in the meantime?, try running "DPKG" per this guide and also check your software sources list to make sure that all the update boxes have a tick in them!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A network cable is required for the above to work!.

I have searched the web for info on this product as I have never heard of the complany and can find no info relating to Linux in any way; shape or form!, sorry!.

It would seem that it may not be supported!!????????.

Let us know how you get on with the update.

jamesboyer

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:46:45 am

Here is their current site: http://www.omega.com.tw/support.asp, at the bottom you'll find the driver for the scanner. Maybe you guys can do something with it. Good Luck!!!

Wolfman

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:22:24 am

Hi James,

you can download the driver, the package bottom left on the page/link you posted, extract it and try using Alien to convert it to a deb package, see this guide about Alien:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4815&p=22778#p22778

(2nd post!)

Hope it helps.

jamesboyer

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:45:18 pm

The problem is that the device is not being recognize by Zorin.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:27:23 am

jamesboyer wrote:The problem is that the device is not being recognize by Zorin.

Hi,

I would say that you need to install the files first and then connect the printer!. Have you converted them?.

jamesboyer

Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:30:55 pm

Hi Wolfman and thanks for your help.

The file extension of the driver is a .exe, so using Alien wont work. I did install it using wine, but never recognize the SCANNER. ;-( i'm very frustrated here, since I need it badly.

Wolfman

Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:05:25 pm

Hi JB,

do you have both "Simplescan" and "Xsane" installed?.

jamesboyer

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:46:17 pm

Yes Wolfman, and it doesn't work with either one. Going Nuts Here!!!! ;-)

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:53:58 pm

I may be wrong but I suspect it may not be supported:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

Wolfman

Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:04:12 am

Hi JB,

I fear that Swarf may be right, I cannot find any reference to it working on Ubuntu based systems!.

jamesboyer

Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:12:31 pm

Thanks for your help anyway..... Have a merry xmas and a happy new year!!!

jamesboyer

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:45:21 pm

Dear Wolfman

Perhaps you could refer the scanner driver to the people of SANE. Here is their current site: http://www.omega.com.tw/support.asp, at the bottom you'll find the driver for the scanner.

Maybe they can do something with it. Thanks!!!

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:30:07 pm

Hi James, to be honest you would be better contacting the manufacturer of your scanner asking why they have failed to develop a GNU/Linux driver! :D

Wolfman

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:01:09 am

jamesboyer wrote:Dear Wolfman

Perhaps you could refer the scanner driver to the people of SANE. Here is their current site: http://www.omega.com.tw/support.asp, at the bottom you'll find the driver for the scanner.

Maybe they can do something with it. Thanks!!!

Hi James,

what Swarf said and what you can try but I cannot say whether it will work or not is to download and extract the files and the copy the files ending in .inf into the firmware folder.

Lets assume that you have downloaded the file and extracted it, now you need to copy the .inf files into "Computer (or file System) > Lib > Firmware", you can only do this as root, to make yourself root, press Ctrl + Alt + t and enter the following command:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

Enter your password and and your home folder will open allbeit as "ROOT", navigate to where you downloaded the files and mark the .inf files and copy them, then go to Computer (or file System) > Lib > Firmware and paste the files in the firmware folder. Close your home folder.

I hope it helps.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:17:12 pm

Just to add to what Wolfman said, I recently was messing around in Zorin 8 and even with 'gksudo nautilus' I still found some folders protected. Launch 'gksudo nautilus' as Wolfman says then open a new terminal window and:

Code:
cd libs

then

Code:
sudo chown [your username] firmware
to get full ownership to place those files there. :D

jamesboyer

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:35:05 pm

Thanks guys i'll try it and let you know if it worked or not....

jamesboyer

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:21:54 am

Just found out that Plustek is the company that build the driver for this scanner (OpticPro S12 or S24), and theres a Backend for it. Good luck everybody!!!!

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:11:23 pm

Hi, is it working? ;)

jamesboyer

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:46:31 pm

Still working on it, but go to this website http://linux.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsi ... ustek.html and check it out. GOOD LUCK!!!!

jamesboyer

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:35:17 pm

jamesboyer

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:47:46 pm

jamesboyer

Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49:08 pm