This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Indicator Applet

Grayfox

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:09:33 am

How do i use it?

When i add it just a blank area appears with no way to configuer it that i can see.

Wolfman

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:20:25 am

Hi GF,

if you are refering to the date/clock etc bottom right, they are basically essential for the Win 7 look in Zorin, you can get a better idea from here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1073424

See also the post install guide and the section covering AWN:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

Grayfox

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:02:42 am

Ah.

Now i have to find out how to modify applet 3

Wolfman

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:10:04 am

Grayfox wrote:Ah.

Now i have to find out how to modify applet 3

Hi GF,

you cannot, it is a fixed set of icons in one indicator!!, if you try and remove one item, the whole thing will vanish!.

Grayfox

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:23:02 am

I want to makes its background transperant and the icons blue, as well as removing the username part.

Grayfox

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:10:45 am

Zorin 7
As you can see it clashes with my theme i am making,

Anonymous

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28:15 am

Here clash with these Grayfox that already work.

Link : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4870

Grayfox

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:14:38 am

Installed all of them, i get the same thing really.
Black AWN bar, white appplet box.
But the preview pictures show it black.

Anonymous

Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51:35 am

Grayfox wrote:Installed all of them, i get the same thing really.
Black AWN bar, white appplet box.
But the preview pictures show it black.

Grayfox > Just in case you don't know...The color of the idicator applet = that of the the current " GTK Theme " used in tweak tool.
Example : Say you installed the VistaAzenis "Awn Panel Theme " for the panel itself....you would then need to have installed gnomish dark....then change over to that theme in tweak tool for everything to match.
Sometimes you have to log-out then log-in for things to really sync.

The Awn Panel Themes you added can match up with most of the popular GTK Themes...just note some are a little off in the color coding.
If you want one matched up...let me know and I'll try for ya.

Grayfox

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:23:41 am

I switched to Adwaitia theme with the Dorian Dark Bar.
The theme doesn't fully match but i am looking at some wiki on making and editing GTK+ themes

Thanks for the help on the theme thing.

Anonymous

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:29:24 am

Grayfox > I have more of the AwnPanelThemes that I never got around to posting on the forum.
Two of them you probably would want.
I'll get around to it sometime this weekend.

Grayfox

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:15:15 am

I am cursed.

Really i am, go to make dinner and boom!, All applets are corrupted and the package fix is not fixing the issue.

Tried the awn-applets-all command it's not working.
Code:
grayfox@grayfox:~$ sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all
[sudo] password for grayfox:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
awn-applets-all : Depends: awn-applet-bandwidth-monitor but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Grayfox

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:33:37 pm

Yeah,

Get the loading for a split second then nothing.

Anonymous

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:26:35 pm

Grayfox > I'm up around the computers and will play around with the panel.
Will inform you of the matter later.

Wolfman

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:28:14 am

Grayfox wrote:I am cursed.

Really i am, go to make dinner and boom!, All applets are corrupted and the package fix is not fixing the issue.

Tried the awn-applets-all command it's not working.
Code:
grayfox@grayfox:~$ sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all
[sudo] password for grayfox:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
awn-applets-all : Depends: awn-applet-bandwidth-monitor but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Hi GF,

if you are trying to install the "awn-applets-all" package on Zorin 7; it won't work, it does work on Zorin 6!, you can get the applets (assuming you know the names of the applets) you require for Zorin 7 here:

http://pkgs.org/

Did you read the post install guide and this part?:

"For Zorin 7 if you cannot find the meta package in the repositories, please download the .deb packages you want from here:"

To fully update, paste this command in a terminal and restart your PC after updating:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Grayfox

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:21:47 am

Downloaded the .tar.xz file but didn't know how to install it and it was not showing up in the install applet list.

Did the terminal thing, the applets still are corrupted and wont start

Wolfman

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00:40 am

Hi GF,

take a look at the post install guide and this section: "More info about the AWN (Avant Window Manger)".

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

All the answers are there!.

Only download .deb packages from. http://pkgs.org/

Grayfox

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:03:18 am

I have done what that article says about restarting the applets but it is not working, they do not have an icon either so i cant remove them from the active applets screen.
Also did a reinstall from the synaptic package manager, still did not work.

Anonymous

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:27:01 pm

Grayfox > I forgot to tell ya that Cinnamon 1.8 Nemo works almost flawless within Zorin OS 7... for what your trying to do.

The Zorin Look Changer is useless when logged in to Cinnamon Desktop.
The good thing is that you have the solid panel... whether it be transparency or dark.
They have around six different menus that one can resort to...including Windows 7 Menu.
Cinnamon Themes are very easy to learn... to make... or customize any existing ones.

: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
: sudo apt-get update
: sudo apt-get install cinnamon nemo

Wolfman

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:52:43 am

Grayfox wrote:I have done what that article says about restarting the applets but it is not working, they do not have an icon either so i cant remove them from the active applets screen.
Also did a reinstall from the synaptic package manager, still did not work.

Hi,

taken from the post install guide:
"With regard to AWN (Avant Window Manager) in Win7 look, it may crash on a restart after an update and all you need to do is right click the panel > dock preferences > applets then add (or make sure) that the following applets are showing in the bottom section window (Active Applets), you should take it slow as some of the applets have similar names:

Zorin Menu ...Seperator...DockBarX...Expander...Seperator...Indicator 3 Applet"
Awn Settings_001.jpg
Awn Settings_001.jpg (27.92 KiB)

Just below the list of "Available Applets"; there are two arrows, one up and one down, they are so you can add or remove the applets!. You can also double click an applet to add it!.

Please read the post install guide through and all your questions are answered there!.

Grayfox

Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27:38 am

Managed to remove them using the keyboard
They still come up with a sad face thing and ask to be restarted,

the following have missing icons in the applet list.
Cario Menu, indicator applet, notification deamon, terminal applet and zorin menu

indicator applet 3 is missing from the list as well.

Grayfox

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:07:42 pm

The following packages would not install as they are both broken and i run the fix broken packages in the SPM and in the recovery mode
awn-applets-all
awn-applet-bandwidth-monitor

Wolfman

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:59:12 am

Hi GF,

"awn-applets-all" will not install in Zorin 7!!!!!!!!!!!. I did point this out to you and it is also in the guide!.

To solve the problem of the "Sad Face", see the guide:

"Whoops! the applet crashed. Click to restart it", if you see this message and a grey icon on the left, and the applet doesn't restart; you can simply right click on the bottom panel and select "Dock Preferences" > "Applets" > "Available Applets" > then look for the icon "Zorin Menu" which is all the way down at the bottom, simply double click it or drag it to the "Active Applets" box at the bottom of the window, if you double click it, it will automatically be set on the right, if you want it on the left, left mouse click it and drag it over to the left hand side of the Active Applets box, done!!."
Awn Settings_021.jpg

See the guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Grayfox

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:00:50 am

Found the problem.

There is an internal error with in the oxygen icon theme.

I switched to the zorin icon theme, logged out then logged back in and they work now.

Wolfman

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:36:46 am

Hi GF,

glad to hear it, will mark as solved now.

Grayfox

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:16:14 pm

I think it is the actual package from the repository servers that is screwed.

I did clean install and downloaded oxygen using the SPM and does the same thing.

Dang, i like the look of oxygen.

Wolfman

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:08:04 am

Hi GF,

if you don't mind a bit of bloat, install the pacakge "kde-full" which is the full base package for the KDE set, it may be a case of you not having full KDE support for your desired icon set!??????.

To install in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install kde-full

Hope it helps.

lilggamegenuis

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42:43 am

not sure if this should have it's own thread but i'm having the same issue except i'm not using the oxygen icon theme.
i have tried all of the solutions here with none of them working including the one on your thread
i am running the new zorin os 8

Wolfman

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:59:19 am

lilggamegenuis wrote:not sure if this should have it's own thread but i'm having the same issue except i'm not using the oxygen icon theme.
i have tried all of the solutions here with none of them working including the one on your thread
i am running the new zorin os 8

Hi,

please start a new thread as we might all get confused as to to who did what to whom.

Have you tried reinstalling AWN?, see the post install guide for info on how to do that, you said you are having the same problem, the same problem as the original poster or a different one of the Q & A's here?.

Code:
sudo apt-get purge avant-window-manager && sudo apt-get install avant-window-manager

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Don't answer this thread but start a new one explaining exactly what problem you have if the above terminal command doesn't solve your problem!.

Wolfman

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:01:13 am

Grayfox wrote:I think it is the actual package from the repository servers that is screwed.

I did clean install and downloaded oxygen using the SPM and does the same thing.

Dang, i like the look of oxygen.

Hi,

try changing your software sources download location, see this guide if you don't know how:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247