This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS on MATE

technoshaun

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:00:23 am

I have been, for the most part, successful with getting Zorin to work with the MATE Desktop and I am liking the results. However, Zorin Menu has a few issues. I can't get the following to work and need assistance to get these working:

Buttons for Shutdown, Logout and Lock do not work.

Can't call up Help (Don't know the name of the program used by MATE)

Want to open Caja as the default File Manager when I use places not Files.

If anyone can help fix these it would be much appreciated.

Wolfman

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:22:46 am

Hi,

I honestly don't know, it may be a conflict with the Zorin Look Changer or other aspects of Zorin that are preventing the things you need to work correctly, that is really one for the Zorin devs to answer!.

If you insist on having Mate, I can only suggest you install a Mate flavoured version of Linux, it would most likely work better!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Uzi

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:58:36 am

PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) have just launched a MATE version. Checked it out yesterday & looks nice. I prefer Zorin overall though.

Anonymous

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:54:06 pm

Wolfman is exactly right...your not going to really benefit from Mate...other than having a second gnome classic panel.

Cinnamon 1.8 Nemo is the closest thing that actually works.

: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable

: sudo apt-get update

: sudo apt-get install cinnamon nemo

Zorin OS 7 > [ Only ]....Use only the settings within Cinnamon DE !!!!

nascar59

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:21:16 pm

Thank you very Much got my cinnamon ,love Mate wish it was Mate but this is close enough am new here just got Zorin Ultimate 7 like it but love Mate, now with this am happy it's so close to Mate like the Version Changer in Zorin Ultimate 7 but Mate over all that but Cinnamon is close really if you could give me true Mate would contribute more than just buying the Ultimate 7 ,yes i knwow i can get Linux mint but Olivia don't want to install here but Zorin install great thank you again datek1 .Ray

I7 2600k at 4200
Asrock Z77 extreme4
Radeon HD 6850
750 corsair bronze Pu
!6 GIG RAM
HARD DRIVES 1 TB
SSD WITH Windows 7
free Agent Usb 500gig

nascar59

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:41:26 pm

Hi It's me again yes you can have Mate in Zorin even the Ultimate7 One by Adding this command :

install Mate desktop in Ubuntu 13.04 open Terminal (Press Ctrl+Alt+T) and add relevant repository to Terminal then scroll down for install commands:
>> For Ubuntu 13.04 Raring
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu raring main"

After adding repository, Use following commands to install Mate Desktop:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mate-core mate-desktop-environment

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:25:34 pm

Well done nascar59! 60 blue jewels to you for answering your own query! :D