This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Panel artifact problem in Gnome mode

helios17

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:25:50 pm

I've ran into this same problem on a couple of Zorin 6.x installs while running in Gnome mode. It doesn't seem to coincide with any particular update or software change...it just shows up. Yeah...I know, something caused it...I'm here to find out what it might be.

On the bottom panel, I have what I can only describe as an "artifact". it's a gray bar that runs at the bottom half of the bottom panel but if I move my mouse to touch it, it goes away, then it returns as soon as my mouse looses focus on that area. It's nothing show-stopping...it's just annoying. If anyone has an answer or suggestion as to how to get rid of it I would appreciate it. See the graphic via the link if it doesn't show up here.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2bdSLJ ... sp=sharing

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:46:01 pm

If you are talking about the 'stippled' grey blocks to the right of the 'Gnome' foot, then they look like two spacers.

I am not sure where to look 'exactly' but it should be in 'DConf Editor' (Menu | System Tools | DConf Editor).

If you don't have DConf Editor installed, open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

After installation it should show up where I stated earlier - there is a setting for top and bottom panels but in process this weekend of installing 6.0! :D

helios17

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:56:57 pm

Thanks for your quick answer. The "artifact" I am talking about is the gray "bar" that seems to be cutting off half of the icons in the bottom panel. Artifact probably isn't the right word to use. And the weird part is that it dissapears when I put my mouse on the panel. The red arrow points to the gray area that runs across the bottom of the panel. Again, I am not sure what or why it showed up...it's just annoying and Gnome mode is the only time it happens. ***Scratches head

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:04:01 pm

OK, got that now :oops: Must be because I am looking at it on an ageing Packard Bell 17" Monitor!

What apps are running when you look inside of 'gnome-system-monitor'?

helios17

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:13:12 pm

gnomesystem_monitor.png
There are a ton of them...too many to show in one screen shot. Here's the first half with the attached picture. I'll have to get the other snapped and send separately.

helios17

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:15:17 pm

secondshot.png
Here's the other half, minus the Gconf editor and a couple others

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:19:21 pm

OK! I have my suspicions that there is some conflict going on with AWN (Avant Window Navigator).

If you have the grey thing present, run 'gnome-system-monitor' and right-click that first process and select 'Kill' - does the grey artefact disappear? Also, is your preference for the Gnome Desktop period? If it is I would remove AWN completely - just remember you won't be able to use/have a Windows 7 desktop! :D

helios17

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:21:51 pm

Thank you very much. I've just been called out on a service call so I better get to that soon. I didn't think of the Awn connection. Good call. I will get this done and post back when I get home. Again thanks

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:22:55 pm

No problemo! Glad to be of help! Hope Admins can take note of this for future releases! ;)

helios17

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:23:24 pm

Never mind...that was fast and it took care of it. We have over 300 computers now out in the field with Zorin Educational on them and they all are in Gnome mode. This takes away a huge headache. Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:25:05 pm

Glad to be of service - I am in the education sector myself but have very limited input - I would love to do what you do!

helios17

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:46:28 pm

Yeah, I don't even consider what I do as work. ;-)) Thank you for sorting that problem out for me. If I can ever do anything for you, just let me know.

Wolfman

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:09:29 am

Hi,

see the post install guide also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Will mark as solved.

Regards Wolfman :D