This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[LOCKED] Zorin hangs occasionally

Alb

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:14:23 pm

Dear Zorin friends,

I have two laptops, one with Zorin 6 and one with Zorin lite.
Since about a month ago, after both of them been updated they started to hang every once in a while. I hoped that a later update would solve it but no luck so far.
Now I have re-installed the Zorin 6 with the 64 bit-version, and of course did all the updates but the problem has come back.

I have looked on the internet for people that have the same problem but I cann't find any content about it.

Is this problem familair and what can be done to solve it?

regards Albert

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:29:04 pm

OK, I am suspecting a Kernel issue here as there have been quite a few updates on different distros based on Ubuntu 12.04. I am considering putting 6.0 Ultimate back on mine but limiting the updates to apps rather than the kernel - that is likely to be the biggest culprit in my book - did you keep your earlier kernels or have you used Bleach Bit or the other cleaning package in Ubuntu Tweak? If you still have your earlier kernels I would try booting into the one that worked best before the last update! ;)

Uzi

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:51:53 pm

Alb,

See this thread:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5103&start=50

I have had the same issues.

Swarf, what is the difference with the Kernel used in Linux Lite & Zorin if indeed there is one? Both distros are based on Ubuntu 12.04. My Zorin issues started with updates but so far (touch wood) Linux Lite is fine following updates.

Wolfman

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:21:26 am

Hi,

despite what the others say about the kernel; I don't have this problem, I have updated on a regular basis since install and accepted all updates including kernels no problem.

I have noticed that Firefox is a bit of a resource hog and maybe that is the culprit but I am really not sure!.

What are the specs of your PC?.

Have you tried running DPKG per this guide?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A network cable is required for the above!.

You can also try running "FSCK" in recovery mode to see if you have any damage to your hard drive!. Here is further info about runing FSCK using various methods, the best way is to use a live CD or tool disk like Pmagic:

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

See also:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/37659/th ... utilities/

Let us know if that helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Alb

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:23:57 am

My pcś are one IBM thinkpad R51 with Zorin lite and a Dell Vostro 1000 with Zorin 6 lts.

Both of the started to have problems at the same time so I dont think it is a hardware problem.
I can not go back on the Zorin 6 because I allready did a new intall. The problem has come back after that.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:16:25 pm

Uzi wrote:Alb,

See this thread:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5103&start=50

I have had the same issues.

Swarf, what is the difference with the Kernel used in Linux Lite & Zorin if indeed there is one? Both distros are based on Ubuntu 12.04. My Zorin issues started with updates but so far (touch wood) Linux Lite is fine following updates.

Well the only way to find that out is by informing us what Kernel is used by LinuxLite - having looked at their site, the menu is reminiscent of the 'Win2k' menu used in Zorin Lite which to me looks like a port of YAMA used in Cairo Dock (Yet Another Menu Application). I also wondered if the creator of LinuxLite was a former user of 'FeatherLinux' due to the OS's Logo! When I installed 6.0 a while back everything was hunkydory until the updates and the first major one was a kernel update - I cannot see how a few minor updates to applications can create a 'freeze'. It could well be that GNU/Linux fairs better on Intel processors these days but I am 'anti' Intel because of the 'Wintel' links in the past! I would be curious to see how LinuxLite fairs on this 64-bit Phenom II x6 core - only Zorin via it's repost have offered a processor control application for it (conservative, peformance, on-demand). My install of Pear reports it's slowest speed of 800 Hz when it is capable of 2.7 GHz! I have also stated elsewhere that when you install Zorin it points to a server in the US as this is where Zorin has made the most influence so I would like to see what your outcome would be if you change your server location before doing ANY updates (including the proverbial 'dpkg' as this will use what the OS is pointing to. So ignore any updates after immediate install UNTIL you have changed the server location for updates to EITHER Main Server or the Country Server that matches your location - this is all hypothesis on my part but I remember a long running thread about a non-existent 86 Kb update that affected me and other members and this was resolved by moving the updates from the US Server to Main Server or alternatively, for me, UK Server/s.

Uzi

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:30:05 pm

Swarf,

My Linuz Lite updates are coming from America too.

Uzi.

Wolfman

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:08:56 am

Hi Albert,

can we merge your thread with this one:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5103&p=26206#p26206

As they are both on the same theme??.

Regards Wolfman :D

Alb

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:21:49 pm

Yes, Im sorry, I could not find my topic and thought something had gone wrong. I made a new one.
Lets stick to the onther one!

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:56:57 pm

Have [LOCKED] this topic as other thread more active and on same topic!