This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New user - A few notes about zorin

larmannjan

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:20:34 pm

Hi,
I am new to linux. I came form windows 7. You can see why i chose this distro. I am using the ultimate edition.
I have a few thing that I could use your help with.
1.) The home button does not seem to bring up the menu. That's weird because it does in other distros.

2.) I have the bottom panel set up to dissapear when my mouse is not there. However when I open the zorin menu the panel overlaps some of the menu. I would like the zorin menu to be raised up a little over the panel.

3.) When hovering over open app in the panel the icon is often black.

4.) in windows 7 home+left would mover your app to the left side of the screen. just like dragging and snapping it to the left does. Could this be added. The same is true for home+up = fullscreen , home+right would take up the right half of the screen.

5.) The panel again: I like the lucido look but it is semi transparent in some regions i would rather have it be filled with a shade of gray. becuase it is hard to see icons if there is other stuff under them.

6.) In windows 7 in the bottom right there is a button that shows the desktop. I used it a lot. Is there a zorin option for this?

Thats all for now.
The picture is for 2.)
Pannel.png
2.)

Wolfman

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:26:33 am

Hi and welcome,

first off, please take the time to read the post install guide as there are several tips related to the AWN panel:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

I don't have time at the moment to answer all your questions and will will be back later!. I am sure someone else will pipe up in the meantime.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:58:09 am

larmannjan wrote:Hi,
I am new to linux. I came form windows 7. You can see why i chose this distro. I am using the ultimate edition.
I have a few thing that I could use your help with.
1.) The home button does not seem to bring up the menu. That's weird because it does in other distros.

The home button shows your folders - I think you might have to activate the option for side panel for 'places' if that is what you mean.

2.) I have the bottom panel set up to dissapear when my mouse is not there. However when I open the zorin menu the panel overlaps some of the menu. I would like the zorin menu to be raised up a little over the panel.

I would do as Wolfman says and do a complete update by opening a Terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and entering:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

3.) When hovering over open app in the panel the icon is often black.

4.) in windows 7 home+left would mover your app to the left side of the screen. just like dragging and snapping it to the left does. Could this be added. The same is true for home+up = fullscreen , home+right would take up the right half of the screen.

Try Ctrl+ Windows key+ cursor keys! ;)

5.) The panel again: I like the lucido look but it is semi transparent in some regions i would rather have it be filled with a shade of gray. becuase it is hard to see icons if there is other stuff under them.

Right click the panel where no icons are and select 'Edit Awn preferences' - change the settings where you see 'panel mode'

6.) In windows 7 in the bottom right there is a button that shows the desktop. I used it a lot. Is there a zorin option for this?

Whilst in AWN preferences go to 'Applets' if show desktop is not there you will need to install 'awn-applets-all' from Synaptic Package Manager (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager)

Thats all for now.
The picture is for 2.)
Pannel.png

Wolfman

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:21:26 am

HI,

have you done a full system update in the meantime?, try running "DPKG" per this guide and also check your software sources list to make sure that all the update boxes have a tick in them!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A network cable is required for the above to work!.

Swarf has already advised you to do a full system update, this is just "Safe Mode" for Linux!.

larmannjan

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:17:41 am

Hi, thanks I have figured out a lot of these problems on my own also.
1.) I put in a ticket and it seems this will be added in the future.
2.) update does not do anything.
3.) Nvidia related. see here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2490
4.) Try Ctrl+ Windows key+ cursor keys
5.) Right click the panel where no icons are and select 'Edit Awn preferences' - change the settings where you see 'panel mode'
6.) There is a awn pannel for that.

Wolfman

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:03:00 am

Hi,

when you say "update doesn't do anything"; do you mean it doesn't work or it didn't help solve your problem?. I assume you mean the latter?.

Can we mark this as solved?.

Grayfox

Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:04:47 pm

If you want a more trational Win7 taskbar look use Edgy as the style
There is a show desktop applet for the AWN

If you want a "My Computer" icon on the desktop like windows type the following into the text editor and save it as Computer.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Computer
Comment=Access and organize files
Keywords=folder;manager;explore;disk;filesystem;
Exec=nautilus --new-window computer:///
Icon=system
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;
MimeType=inode/directory;application/x-gnome-saved-search;
Actions=Window;

Then rightclick it and set its permissions to executable. and you will have a windows style desktop.

See my example

I am using other applets but the indcator3 does the same job

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:50:08 pm

Hi larmannjan, I need to apologise as 'awn-applets-all' will bauk if you try to install it as some no longer exist!

Change your 'indicator-applet-3' for 'Notification area'.