This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

alienware m11x and zorin os

tuke8

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:55:58 pm

Hi
Well yeah i got alienware m11x and i just installed zorin os on it ultimate edition :D so enjoy my donation.
it has i3 2350m 1.3ghz 5gb of ram and nvidia m550 1gb but the reason why i installed linux on it, its quite simple, cpu is only 1.3ghz and this linux works so much faster, i do not play games on that alienware anyway, i got desktop what runs games.
and its just nice play around with linux, so i just wanna give a try.
obv will be awesome to muck something up and then try to fix it on my own.
but i kind of screwed up my gfx driver it has Intel® HD Graphics 3000 and plus optimus m550gt
but i dont get it how it works @ all.
also done clean reinstall to fix my driver, because it all works @ first even shows on computer details
that my Intel® HD Graphics 3000 running display, but i tryed also install nvidias display driver and then it all happens, im still getting on desktop area and can do some stuff, but it all kind of lags and runs badly, also shows unknown display driver something like that.
but im noob so i need some serious step by step help.
its kind of stupid reinstall os every time if i screw up.
main thing is also i have now idea how intel and optimus works, obv i runned tests played HL2 and game runned quite well. so im not sure if both cards work out of box.
any commands to roll back gfx driver or something like that.
ty

Wolfman

Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:28:52 am

Hi,

take a look here and add the PPA from the thread, you must restart your PC and update it again once rebooted!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

For a full update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Do not use any profanity (bad language) in your next reply. Please take the time to read this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2322&p=9737#p9737

Regards Wolfman :D

tuke8

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:07:10 am

thx i take a look later