This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Users list at start up

calmiller

Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:02:57 pm

I am trying to get an IBM Thinkpad T42 set up with Zorin Lite 6 for my grandchildren to use for schoolwork. My only snag has been that the computer boots to my desktop (I have admin priveleges) and if the kids want to use their desktop they have to logout from mine before being given a list of users to choose from. I want the computer to open with the list of users to select from (like Win 7 which is what the kids are used to). Otherwise Zorin seems to be perfect for them and me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Zorin is the only OS on this computer.

Wolfman

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:59:22 am

Hi,

open System Settings > System > User Accouints and unlock it, then change Auto Login to "Off" and this should then take you to the login window when you boot and you can choose the user from there!.
User Accounts_002.jpg

A better tool is the package "gnome-system-tools" which you will find under Users & Groups in the administration list in the main menu should you install it.

To install via a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

Regards Wolfman :D

calmiller

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:40:00 pm

From my start menu I have SYSTEM TOOLS>USERS and GROUPS and on that window I do not see an unlock option nor an auto-login switch. When I run the command to install gnome-system-tools I get a message that the latest version is already installed. So I'm stuck at this point trying to find the auto-login switch and I don't know where to look. Cal

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:00:40 pm

Hi, Menu | System Tools | System Settings | User Accounts (bottom panel):

Screenshot user account.jpg

calmiller

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:46:37 pm

Wolfman

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:45:12 am

Hi,

sorry but I didn't notice you were using Zorin Lite! :oops: .

Please take a look at this thread which explains how Users & Groups works:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/66718/ho ... and-groups

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835&p=22914#p22914

Regards Wolfman :D

calmiller

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:09:09 pm

Thanks for your input. Although your replies didn't quite resolve things for me, they did identify the need to turn off auto-login. My User and Groups window does not have the switch as is the case with several of the illustrations in the link above. But a search for "Turn off Auto-Login" found this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/106428/h ... atic-login

And so I was able to resolve my issue. Thanks for your help with this. Cal

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:06:42 pm

Hi, glad you finally got sorted and 60 blue jewels to you! Have marked thread as [SOLVED]!