This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] hosed avant window navigator and can't run system

helios17

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:44:42 pm

So recently, I posted about a problem with the avant window navigator...it turns out it was the culprit for a bar or gray spot covering half the panel. (this is in Gnome setting). I informed some of my Reglue Kids that they could run metacity --replace for a short term solution and kill the avant window navigator in the system monitor under processes. That would take care of it for that session.

I am emailing back and forth with a young man now that decided he would just uninstall the avant window navigator and be done with the problem. It now gives him an error that it cannot open gnome panel (not sure if that's exactly what it says). Anyway...he is dead in the water. What is the command to go to init 3 or whatever he has to do to re install avant window navigator.

Thanks a bunch.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:11:26 pm

If he has admin rights to install then simply:

Code:
sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator

Wolfman

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:25:33 am

Hi,

boot the PC to what remains of the normal desktop and press "Ctrl + Alt + t" which will open a terminal and you can paste the command Swarf posted and restart your PC with "Ctrl + Alt Del", if you also borked "Gnome", you can install full Gnome support with the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome

This will add several packages you don't need but imo, adds stability to the system!.

To do them both together:

Code:
sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator gnome

Regards Wolfman :D

helios17

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:39:31 pm

Thanks guys for the fast response. I was swamped with work out in the field and am just now catching up.

Unfortunatly, when I boot into that partition and enter the desktop, I get a frozen Zorin circle and a warning dialog box that says"

Failed to load session "zorin_desktop"

I have neither mouse or keyboard capabilities at this screen. The only option I have is a hard shutdown by holding the power button or pulling the plug. That's why I was wondering if booting into an init3 environment might work to install the missing packages. Also, I set him up with a temporary Zorin 6.4 educational version just so he can have internet access. Would dragging critical files and folders from the new Zorin desktop into the old zorin desktop (via drag and drop) work? I rarely get that lucky but I thought I might bring it up.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:15:23 am

Hi,

try running "DPKG" per this guide, a network cable is required!:

http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

If doesn't work after running "DPKG", reboot into recovery mode again and activate the network once more then drop to root and enter the following command then restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on "Resume"!!.

Code:
sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator gnome

This should help the situation!.

helios17

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:44:23 pm

Thank you guys. I am enroute to the shop now. Will execute instructions, You Rock,

helios17

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42:01 pm

Hey guys...we're good. I had to wait for the youngster to get home and talk him through it.

Actually, we just had to drop to a root shell and supply the apt-get -y install avant-window-navigator.

Worked like a charm. Thanks again.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:13:17 am

Hi,

glad to hear it, I will mark this as solved.