This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] sound issues

Mettuck

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:55:10 am

First of all, hello.

I've been messing around with Zorin a while back and while it did provide superior performance compared to windows, some things prevented me from moving further than the live USB.

Now, windows has become far too slugish and seeing as how it seems I'll be stuck with this netbook of mine, I want to make the most use of it:

The netbok is Acer Aspire One 522, based on AMD's C-50 APU, connexant audio.

Now, the problem is - I have sound issues on windows as well - it will play constantly while speakers/headphones are plugged in and without a hitch. However, if I take them out, it'll play for a minute or two, and then stop. If I pause the video/music and wait for a minute or two and then resume - playback will resume. This may sound like something overheating (at least it did t me) but here's something even more weird: if I insert the headphones just for 1 sec and pull them back out, internal netbook speakers resume playback immediately.
Now, I'm not asking for perfect drivers on Zorin, just as I've gotten used to faulty stuff in win, but the problem is - I'd like to install Zorin Lite as it is insanely fast compared to win 7 starter. However - when I boot it up using live usb I get no sound whatsoever. Curiously, Zorin core does have sound, but with a trick - ONLY when I use the audio jack with headphones and/or speakers.
I already have 3 partitions and I need this netbook for the time being so I cannot blindly rush in hoping that full install will solve this, is there anything I can try on live boot to see if I can get some sound going on Zorin lite?

Wolfman

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:01:46 am

Hi,

open a terminal in the Live CD and enter this command in the terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-all faac flac paman

once installed, open Pulse Audio Manager and check your settings with that, it is far better than the sound applet in Zorin Lite!.

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Mettuck

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17:48 am

Hm, so I tried that, but when I try to actually run pulse volume control I get this:

And I seem a little lost on how to run the manager, if that is what you meant exactly (or is that something like the backend, while volume control is to be tampered with?)

I did make some progress tho - fiddling with VLCs audio settings and those in xbmc I now know what should I use to get sound output (XBMC even acted almost the same as my windows audio does), but I can't get this to run?

Wolfman

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:10:00 am

Hi,

did you open the applet "PulseAudio Volume Control" ??.

You should have a window like this showing "Output":
Volume Control_001.jpg

This is the settings window you need to have open!.

I cannot say whether or not that it will work 100 pro in a live CD mode though as there might be other components that are needed which aren't available in live CD mode!.

Let us know how you get on.

Mettuck

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:54:44 pm

I did try to open it, but I get the error from the screenshot I posted.

It might just be the fact that some things don't work on live boot, so i'll try to get a backup hdd for the weekend and do a full install on one of my data partitions and see how it goes.

Hopefully, I won't mess up the dual-boot thing :)

Mettuck

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:52:22 am

Greetings again.
First of all, apologies for double posting and resurrecting a thread, but someone may have a similar issue and I am half-way through solving my problems.

So I tried USB Live of Zorin lite 7. I didn't get any sound, again. So I just googled and the first result was a page from this forum which had someone posting 3 suggestions - trying alsamixer in terminal, another one and installing paman. Now, the problem is I did all three, and somehow paman was working and everything was just dandy. So i foolishly, forgot to save the page or memorize the search term. Now, I actually forgot what was the 2nd thing I did so this is why forgetting it is a problem.
After performing a full install I was, again, greeted by a mute OS. So I kept googling, installing paman which showed the same error as before (pictured above) and curiously, alsamixer refused to let me actually change my default sound card. default and the first option had 0 settings available whilst the 3rd had all of them.

So I googled some more and ran into a guy explaining how to set a default sound card:
find the modprobe.d folder, and add some lines to alsa-base.conf. Now, the funny thing is, when I ran "cat /proc/asound/modules" in terminal, I got these 2 lines:

0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_hda_intel

So i just opened the abovementioned config file, added 2 more lines (yes, it does look like nonsense, doesn't it?):

options snd_hda_intel index=0
options snd_hda_intel index=1

Restarted my netbook and by some strange magic - a volume control icon appeared next to my battery icon. Now I have sound, alsamixer's default setting actually has options available for me to tinker with (tho gnome-alsamixer fails to work) but paman still won't work. This just seems like quite a curiosity which I'd like to share, and if anyone knows a solution to actually getting paman to work I'd like to try it.

In a way, this feels like playing Dark Souls - extremely frustrating, but once you figure it out it's oh so sattisfying. Then again, I have no idea how alsamixer differentiates between the two modules...

Wolfman

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:18:19 am

Hi,

thanks for sharing your problem solver, I can really only refer people to pages like this one: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto or this one: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting when things go wrong if the Paman or Alsamixer trick won't work.

Can we mark this as solved now?.

Mettuck

Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07:42 pm

I will look around those pages certainly :).

Yes we can mark this issue as solved. I have my sound back without any major problems.

Thank you for your help :)

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:43:44 am

60 blue ones to Wolfman! :D