This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Create a direct access to a folder

pp4mnklinux

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:07:48 am

Hello:

This Question is related with a previous one about image viewer software.

Now, I have instaled 'photoxx`as my default image viewer and when I go into a folder with photos I can see all of them without problem.

The difficulty is when my wife must search the folder with photos that we have got in our PC into another disk.

With windows, I created a Direct Access, so she only need to click on it to open all the sub-folders and navigate to the one she wanna see.

Now, I want to create in Cairo Doc a Direct Access to the Folder With Photos (Which is into another disk with NTFS system)

What are the steps to create at Cairo dock this direct access (I need mount the volume when linux starts, create the Direct Access (I made it using `make link' and putting it at linux desktop) and when the Direct Access (link) has been created, I need to put it into cairo dock (I need to put the link to the photos folder and I dont know how to do it, because if I try to put the original folder it copies all the photos to linux disk and if I try to put the link I cant do it)

THANKS

THANKS IN ADVANCE :arrow:

Wolfman

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:57:45 am

Hi,

right click AWN dock > Preferences > Applets > File Tools > File Browser Lanucher Or File Manager > Stacks Applet:
Awn Settings_047.jpg

Not sure if they will work though!.

Regards Wolfman :D

pp4mnklinux

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:48:39 am

thanky, Ill try, but the problem is that it opens the general list of disks and I want to open an specific folder with subfolders

THANK YOU but I need to open a folder with sub-folders (P:/fotos/ and all the sub-folders inside it)

madvinegar

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:37:44 am

Can you just drag n drop the folder you want onto cairo dock?

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:25:32 pm

As a starting point, please read this tutorial on 'cifs' - let us know how you get on! :D

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

pp4mnklinux

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:37:02 pm

@ madvinegar,.- I cant drag n drop the folder, thanks

@swarfendor437 ,. I'll try to read it as soon as I can and I'll say you

THANKS

Linx

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01:34 am

I'm having a little trouble understanding the question, this is what I understand you to be asking.

How to create a shortcut or a link to the new mount location.

In addition to this, I understand this if for a photo viewer in which I know nothing about. If it isn't what your asking, I'm sorry, but this is what I got.

To do this, you must first determine the location of the external drive/disk. In Ubuntu based systems this is normally going to be /media/<YourDriveLabel>. To be able to fund out for sure, open terminal and run "ls /media/" and this will like each folder under the /media directory. It'll be up to you to determine which if your drive/disk ( I don't have an external drive or a Disk handy to show you what to expect ) . then from terminal you can type "ln -s -t ~/Pictures/drive /media/<YourDriveLabel>". That will create a soft link to the drive/disk. Most programs are going to view the soft link just was they would a normal directory or file.

Let me know if this helps, or if I'm just missing something. Also screenshots would be helpful.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:50:06 am

Hi Linx,

What he has - cairo-dock on Zorin, an external drive formatted to NTFS which is shared between a Windows machine and wanting same share access in Zorin - he then wants a direct link to the folder on the external drive formatted to NTFS - that is why I suggested he start with getting CIFS working first and then approach the issue of adding an icon to 'the stack'.

Linx

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:53:19 am

Oh then my last post can be ignored!