This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printing envelopes with libreoffice writer

Jaime

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:32:23 am

Hi guys. It has been a long time since I used zorin, but since I wanted to install my linux box again, I decided on zorin as my forum account still works, and now I really hate that ubuntu interface not to mention the forum screwup with that ubuntu one account. In any case I have been trying to print an envelope and I'm having a problem finding where I choose the envelope size. I'm attaching the screenshots to show you what I have. I have also been finding out that I can't copy files with long names to my nas just as I can't attach screenshots with long names. Is there a way to also shorten these permanently? I have to keep changing these manually. This is the fax/printer that I have and just can't get this to work. If I also open the back tray I get an error of size. I'm trying to not get the envelope all wrinkled, but this is not working. I also want to apologize, the files got upload the opposite of what I chose. Thanks.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:20:43 am

Hi,

try this from their forum:

http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/ ... -easy-way/

See also:

http://www.pcmech.com/article/how-to-pr ... breoffice/

I am sure there are other answers should that not work for you on their forum!:

Regards Wolfman :D

Jaime

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:36:41 am

Thanks Woflman. I did see the first link you have there and still was no good for me. I then installed the very latest of libreoffice on my windows 7 laptop and that's what you see on your second link. It's the windows version. In any case, I managed to print with the windows version, but I still have to waste quite a few envelopes to get the information aligned correctly and I don't get all those envelope options. In short, you want to pick com 10 in windows and zorin for a regular size 10 envelope. It was all just trial and error. Unfortuntely even choosing this gives me an error when I try to print with the rear door open in zorin. The error I get from my zorin desktop machine when I try to print is "Duplex Disabled, close the back cover and put the duplex tray back in. I don't get this on the windows version. So I still can't print an envelope from zorin without going up the top of the printer. Either way, my envelopes are coming out wrinkled, the back is a little better, but still not without any wrinkles which sucks as I barely use this printer. In the printer properties device I choose envelope for media type in zorin, but still, nothing changes. I just thought I mention this for anyone else trying to print an envelope. So even choosing the right size, the information is still not quite ligned up when printing.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:39:39 am

Hi Jaime,

it might just be a case of trial and error to find out what works, I never bother to print envelopes myself!.

Jaime

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:37:42 am

Okay, there was a firmware update for my printer and also some updates on my os, now every time I try to print an envelope I get "Size error DX. Specify the correct paper and press start" which I have done, but now the envelope won't even print...my printer is a brother MFC -7860DW. I'm printing more individual envelopes and well I can't print any so I'm hoping someone has an idea of what is going on. I'm still on the LTS version. Anyway I send feedback to Brother about this error in case it's just the firmware screwing things up. It seems to print fine for everything else.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:08:34 am

Hi Jaime,

try booting into an earlier kernel and see if that helps!. The only other thing that I can suggest is that you check the settings throughly!.

as I don't have a Brother printer, I cannot really say much else.

Have a look here even though it isn't for Linux:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic ... ing#199928

Can you install Word using Wine?.

Jaime

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:21:02 am

I remember the envelope sides they show on there in windows. I just had to change to how the printer was fed the envelope and it worked fine there. I think I have an old office version somewhere I can try. If it installs when I find it that will be fine too. I had to hand write my envelope which was fine, but I like to use the printer since I sometimes used to get those questions at work, so I like to make sure I test things out myself. If it doesn't work here I don't think I want to bother with a previous one since I'll have to keep doing that. I'll leave it alone for now and twiddle my thumbs while I see what I can do or if I find those cds. As for brother printers, they were great on the older models, the new models suck so far. They give you less toner which I stopped using so I just use some fillers even though they are not the best, but have worked so far. The menu on this thing is not very straight forward now, I have to keep staring at it for a bit before I can remember what the heck I'm supposed to press. I'm hoping it's just my all in one fax, but who knows.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:55:16 am

Hi Jaime,

not that this will help you with your current problem but the next time you buy a printer, get one from HP, HP support Linux really well and are easy to install and use!.

Have you figured it out yet?.

See page 7 here as a just for info thing:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BS ... _usr_b.pdf

Jaime

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:14:57 am

Thanks I'll try to keep it in mind, unfortunately they started making pretty crappy printers and I had an old Brother before I bought the new one which was just slow, but worked flawlessly even with ubuntu. Now I wished I kept it even though it was slow to print. Now I had to do what you said, I thought I would have to boot to the older os, but I choose it before login to not use any special features which I forget what is called. Whatevery the latest update that came in pretty much screw up the OS. I can't even get the menu up top so I had to reboot twice just to get back in. Also, zorin still has this weird box still popping up when there is an update or something is getting installed. That has always annoyed me as it always seems like something that's not supposed to be there. In any case I'm trying to back up my HD and figure out what to install. I was wondering if an update to zorin 7 would help, but I don't know.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:47:28 am

Hi Jaime,

if as you say the system is a bit screwed up, run "DPKG" (network cable required) per this guide and restart as recommended with Ctrl + Alt + Del:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Check your software sources settings too, the info is also in the guide!.

I don't know why that pic is showing what it is, running DPKG may solve that too!.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:44:43 pm

I would be curious to know if you get any better results with Kingsoft Office for Linux - that way you could check if it was a LibreOffice issue - you could also try AbiWord (part of Gnome Office) - again to rule out LibreOffice issues (I know in the past when editing (imported) documents created in M$ Office in OpenOffice - page numbering would not align correctly.