This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[LOCKED - HARDWARE FAILURE] No Sound

Decimator Omega

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:21:03 am

Before I get to this problem, I have an update to share:

I was forced to uninstall Zorin OS from my gaming machine since I needed to get UDK. That is now running Windows, but I got the core 32 bit version of Zorin OS on my old machine. On with the problem:

So ever since I got Zorin on this machine, everything has been working fine up until the most recent update it seems, because after this update, my sound is completely dead and nothing I do seems to be working.

Is there anyway that I can fix this or is there even a fix for this? Thanks.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:49:24 am

Hi Deci,

the first stop is of course to check all the settings in the sound manager and make sure things aren't muted!.

Your 2nd option is to run "DPKG" per the update guide using a network cable and see if this fixes the problem:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Try also installing the following packages and use Pulse Audio Manager tio see if that helps, use the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-all faac flac paman

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

and:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Decimator Omega

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50:54 am

I'll be sure to give these a try tomorrow Wolfman.

Thanks for the links! :D

Decimator Omega

Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:51:07 am

Nothing seems to be working. :/

I'm going to try Zorin Lite now since this is an older machine.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:37:38 am

Hi Deci,

one thing to bear in mind is that some PC's have a front and back soundcard sockets, if your speakers are also not in the right (correct) socket, they won't work, normally the light green socket is for system loudspeakers and the front socket is for headphones, on some older PC's, you can use both the front and back sockets for loudspeakers!.

Good luck.

Decimator Omega

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:20:46 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi Deci,

one thing to bear in mind is that some PC's have a front and back soundcard sockets, if your speakers are also not in the right (correct) socket, they won't work, normally the light green socket is for system loudspeakers and the front socket is for headphones, on some older PC's, you can use both the front and back sockets for loudspeakers!.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reminder, however I have not changed any of the hardware around recently, and this problem happened after awhile of having Zorin OS.

There is a possibliy that my sound card may have crapped out however.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:31:11 am

Hi Deci,

it may be that the soundcard is simply loose and needs a gentle push into its socket on the motherboard?????.

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:56:50 am

I don't know if it would upset the system, but try removing Pulse Audio and replace it with ALSA and all associated packages - you may also want to install OSS - depending on how old the system is! :D

Decimator Omega

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:56:22 am

it may be that the soundcard is simply loose and needs a gentle push into its socket on the motherboard?????.

Either that's what happened or something even worse. I just switched to Zorin OS 7.1 on this machine and I still have no sound on this thing.

This is a Dell Dmension 5100. It's as old as 2005. The sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster. Not sure exactly which one it is but I'll check. I think my sound card might have died. Wouldn't Zorin 7.1 be able to pick it up and have a driver for it if it didn't? And it can't be because the sound card isn't supported, because Zorin OS 7 was able to get the driver for it.

Yeah I think my sound card got burned out or something. I'll let you all know before you lock this thread by opening up this machine by checking it. In the mean time, any suggestions for this computer will be appreciated.

Decimator Omega

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:57:20 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I don't know if it would upset the system, but try removing Pulse Audio and replace it with ALSA and all associated packages - you may also want to install OSS - depending on how old the system is! :D

Well it's a 2005 computer so it's pretty old, also I just switch to Zorin 7.1 or Zorin Lite for this machine, so I hope OSS is avaiable in the software center.

Wolfman

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:40:44 am

Hi Deci,

if the soundcard was working and now doesn't, it may be A: your card is dead (long live the card). B: it doesn't like the newer kernel updates and you should try booting into an older kernel and see if it works!.

Decimator Omega

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:52:48 am

if the soundcard was working and now doesn't, it may be A: your card is dead (long live the card). B: it doesn't like the newer kernel updates and you should try booting into an older kernel and see if it works!.

If it doesn't like the new kernel update, how do I boot into an older kernel?

Wolfman

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59:01 am

Hi Deci,

assuming you only have Zorin Lite installed, as soon as you boot the PC; start hitting the "shift" key and a menu should appear, select the 2nd older kernel option and then another if necessary when you reboot, by pressing shift, it will grant you access to the recovery menu also. (If shift doesn't work, try the "Esc" key!!)

Decimator Omega

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:03:11 am

assuming you only have Zorin Lite installed, as soon as you boot the PC; start hitting the "shift" key and a menu should appear, select the 2nd older kernel option and then another if necessary when you reboot, by pressing shift, it will grant you access to the recovery menu also. (If shift doesn't work, try the "Esc" key!!)

Thanks. I'll try that right now before I go to sleep. Be right back. :)

Wolfman

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:06:19 am

Hurry up, I've got to go out!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Decimator Omega

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:10:31 am

Wolfman wrote:Hurry up, I've got to go out!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well I did hit the s*** key, nothing happened. The Esc key just cancled the count down. I went into the advanced option of booting Zorin however, that didn't really change anything, I'm still not getting any sound.

Unless that wasn't what I was suppose to do?

Bah. I'll see if I can figure out my no sound problem tomorrow. If you gotta go out that's fine man. You take care. I'm gonna get some sleep. A good rest might be the answer to my problem. :P

Wolfman

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17:46 am

Hi,

if you were in the main boot menu, there should be advanced options for you to select an older kernel!.

Another thing to try is a full system update with this terminal command then reboot:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

See also:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=2247

and make sure your software updates also are set for "Pre-released" updates in your software sources list.

Gotta go, good night Deci and sleep well :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Decimator Omega

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:22:54 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

if you were in the main boot menu, there should be advanced options for you to select an older kernel!.

Another thing to try is a full system update with this terminal command then reboot:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

See also:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=2247

and make sure your software updates also are set for "Pre-released" updates in your software sources list.

Gotta go, good night Deci and sleep well :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Wolfman. Goodnight. :D

Decimator Omega

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:50:23 pm

Well after some digging around and trying other OS's to pinpoint the probelm, I can confirm that it is my sound card since other OS's like Windows XP with it's drivers installed also had no sound.

I don't use this computer often anyway so it's okay. You may lock this if you wish.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:59:10 pm

Hi Decimator Omega, thanks for the update - have [LOCKED] as requested! :D