This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Weird window dragging artifacts.

larmannjan

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:25:38 pm

Hi,
I am using two monitors. I like to drag stuff from one window to the other. I have a problem that when I drag one window over to the next weird artifacts appear.
As you can see in the image there is ghost of the image which is in the center and on the right there are also some weird things going on.
IMG_0365.JPG

madvinegar

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53:08 pm

This only happens when you drag a window from one monitor to the other or you experience other GPU glitches as well?

What is your GPU?
Please post back the result of:
Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA

larmannjan

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:28:45 pm

jan@JanZorin:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 580] [10de:1080] (rev a1)
Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:0947]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0e09] (rev a1)

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:49:17 pm

I could be wrong but suspect a compiz issue - uncheck any reference to animations and or cube/3d desktop.

larmannjan

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:27:25 am

Okay I unchecked 2 boxes.
ccsm.jpeg

These weird artifacts seem to only occur when I have chrome on one side in maximized mode visible and try to drag the file explorer over. I think it might be related to the fact that chrome has its own top panel.
chrome.jpeg

------------------------
UPDATE

It seems that when I enable 'Use system title bar and borders' the problem goes away. but it does take up more screen space because of the extra panel.
chrome_bar.jpeg

Anyone know what the problem of this is, why does chrome having its own window cause these glitches. Realistically is there a way to not have the extra bar and no graphic glitches?

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:48:42 am

Have you got gconf-tools installed? If not:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gconf-tools

Then launch gconf-tools and change your themes to see if this can resolve it in terms of window decorations.

NO GUARANTEES! :D

larmannjan

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:34:29 pm

I get this error:

Code:
jan@JanZorin:~$ sudo apt-get install gconf-tools
[sudo] password for jan:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gconf-tools

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:40:10 pm

Sorry, my bad:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gconf-editor

I was thinking of dconf-tools when I posted last! :oops:

larmannjan

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:43:47 am

still the same problem

Wolfman

Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:44:08 am

Hi,

just to through my tuppence worth in here, "gconf-editor" won't work on Zorin 7, it isn't in the repo's.

Install Dconf Editor with the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

Just exactly what you will achieve with it is anybodies guess, I think you need to add a few different themes and try from there, it may also be graphic card related, what Nvidia drivers do you have installed?, I personally stick with version 304 on my Nvidia rig as they are stable!.

For extra themes, install this PPA and then search Synaptic for "webupd8" or "gtk themes" which should show you a shortlist of available extra themes:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes

Only themes marked GTK3 or GTK2/3 will work!.

Regards Wolfman :D

larmannjan

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:07:43 pm

Thanks it working now