This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GPU question

laword

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:00:28 pm

Hello,

First I just want to say that I have used this forum to solve some of my earlier issues (grub failing to install). So I will fire away with my first noob ( sorry I have some linux knowledge but google has been my friend since my move from Win7)

I have a ATI Radeon HD 5670 GPU. I'm running Zorin OS 7 Core. I installed the drivers from ATI, the version number is 13.4? But the install showed 12.4.. I have read that there has been some issues with the ATI driver and Xorg or Xserver (after reading my eyes have become crossed..) I took a software update and from this update after rebooting my display would be blank. So after some thought I decide to do another clean install and hold off from updating until I can make sense of the issue.

So really i guess my question is: " Is it better to use to experimental beta driver from ATI to get around this display issue or Use the option under additional drivers"using X.org X server option."

I'm pretty sure that I might need to send a log file or display results but due to my minor ( and I hope refreshing and growing) knowledge of linux I can provide it. I just worry about having to due another fresh install again and again.

Thank you all for any and all help.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:27:05 pm

Hi,

do not use experimental drivers as they can be unstable and unsupported by the OS!. Only use the recommended drivers!.

Use the Additional Drivers tool in Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Addtional Drivers only!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

You can safely use the drivers from the PPA's from the above link!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:37:25 pm

When everything is stable are you using the 'default' drivers with Zorin? These will be either x-org or noveau - the latter for nVidia cards. I would avoid 'flgrx' at all costs!

laword

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:56:19 pm

The first time I installed Zorin yes, I did leave the option checked. I'm not sure but I do believe that I had accepted a update and there wasn't any issues. Which should just answer my question. My own reason for installing the ATI drivers or flgrx is that I moved to this OS so I can test it out for my future HTPC build and gaming build using the ATI card. But it seems that using nVidia card might be the better option since there is some issues with the ATI. Correct me if I'm wrong. Either way thank you both Swarfendor437 and Wolfman. Just trying to get a good handle on which to use and ensure that when I build both pc the cards in them will be used to full potential.

laword

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:11:45 pm

After review the site that Wolfman suggested, I see that the issue was dealing with a nVidia card. And the commnands are for installing nVidia settings. Would the command used there be the same for ATI. I apologize if I seem to be missing anything here. I am using a file i have created to copy and document any and all commands so in the event I have an issue can cant get my desktop back and need to do another fresh install I can easily pull up the doc and get back to the same state I was before I lost everything. Thanks again.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:58:26 pm

Hi laword, that link Wolfman posted was specifically aimed at nVidia users. I have not got a separate GPU but onboard ATi Graphics (AMD 3000 chipset). Basically I would stick with the Linux drivers - I appreciate this limits your experience of changing characteristics but remember most graphics cards are built with DirectX in mind - after all, the Games industry is as big as Hollywood movie making - who is going to make a graphics card for the benefit of our wonderful OpenGL graphics! :D

laword

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:46:57 pm

OK, and thanks again. I do agree and believe that using that linux driver is the best course of action. This forum and user have been very friendly and prompt to respond. I'm glad I made the switch to this OS. I hope that I am able to contribute something to this project down the road. Thank again.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:15:32 pm

No worries laword - we are all here to help each other, Moderators and Members alike! :D

Enjoy the Zorin experience! :D