This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Which virtualbox version should I download for this

Jaime

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:16:01 am

I would like to get the updated virtualbox on my zorin, but I'm not sure which one is the correct one as the numbers don't match anything that I can tell. Okay this is going to make it a bit harder, but I know it's a version of the Ubuntu, just now sure which one.

madvinegar

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:53:19 am

You need the ubuntu LTS 12.04 precise pangolin AMD 64bit.

Jaime

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:44:29 pm

Thanks. Will this be changing to match any time soon? Just wondering. I also need to change my name on here, I don't want anyone confusing me with the zorin guys/gals on here.

Jaime

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51:56 am

Okay I had downloaded and installed that correct version. Tonight I was trying to install this omv on a virtual machine and all I get are errors. I got one other working fine before so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/suggestions on this. Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:45:39 pm

Hi Jaime, Having looked at bottom right of the screenshot, do you have DKMS installed? look for it in synaptic.

Once installed, run that command mentioned in the screenshot.

Did you:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

after you installed Virtual Box? ;)

Jaime

Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:20:16 pm

I missed that dkms so I installed it and I could only perform the first command. Either way I still got the same thing. I did see this other message and typed the /etc command afterwards and now it looks like that fixed it.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:47:45 pm

So the $64,000 question - is it fixed? :?:

Jaime

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:52:56 pm

Well, I was testing it just now. It worked, but I had the vm open and firefox open since I was connecting to the managed vm. I just bridged the nic on the vm so I could do this. It worked fine for a while, and I just left all that open while I read something else. Well needles to say my computer just crashed altogether so I had to reboot as I could not do anything. So yes and no. It did let me get my vm installed without a problem but then the computer just took a dump. I know my hardware is fine since it's the same thing I was using for my windows OS. This is what it looked like when it froze.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:35:35 pm

OK, I notice that you have 'orange' folders - was that by choice or were Ubuntu updates applied to the VM? Also do you use 'Bridged connection' for network?

Jaime

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01:27 pm

I think when I changed to gnome, that's what it used. I didn't specifically asked for orange. I thought that was the default. I only used the update you posted above and installed the dmsk or whatever virtualbox was asking for. That was it. Yes the bridged connection is just for the network so I could actually log into the nas vm since it uses the browser for the setup. Otherwise I could not see it since it was on a different subnet. Let me know if there is anything you would like me to check.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:55:08 pm

I was going to ask you to check the Update Manager | Settings - make sure that 'Update to latest version of Ubuntu' is set to never! ;)

Jaime

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:51:18 am

This is what it's setup at. I haven't changed it. Why would it be a bad thing to get the regular updates for the current version? Okay I can think of random stuff breaking, but I thought that is usually for the complete version updates? Can I do the regular security updates or any of those shown there for the current version?

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33:47 pm

There has been some 'glitches' with that window - but the bottom should be set to 'Never' as it pulls Ubuntu updates, not Zorin - Zorin is a fork - it is not 'pure' Ubuntu! ;)

Jaime

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:19:12 am

Got it, but I thought you could still put the updates even with the fork as they are not a full upgrade. I can't change it now sine I'm having a few bugs and don't want to get stuck with them. If the changes get better I'll go ahead and change it to never, would be useless at this point I guess.

Swarfendor437 wrote:There has been some 'glitches' with that window - but the bottom should be set to 'Never' as it pulls Ubuntu updates, not Zorin - Zorin is a fork - it is not 'pure' Ubuntu! ;)

Wolfman

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:52:06 am

Hi Jaime,

is this solved now?.

For future reference about updating:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

Jaime

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:02:03 am

Sure, I guess we can close it since I don't know what else to do about the updates but just let them go. I had a few more today and things are moving okay.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:42:15 am

Hi,

it is worth taking a few minutes to read through the update guide as there are several things to look at, it might help you in the future.

Have marked as solved.

Regards Wolfman :D