This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] How do I edit/modify the boot menu?

jmckeone

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:38:24 pm

I have Windows 7 and the latest build of Zorin on a drive but it appears that whatever Zorin is using for boot management did not add a line for the Windows install. Is that a graphical boot manager that is available that I can use to add this other partition?

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:57:58 pm

This could be what you need?:

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

jmckeone

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12:53 am

That works within Windows but I'm looking for something comparable that will work from within Zorin as the system boots to Zorin but is not recognizing the windows install.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:43:55 am

Hi,

you can try "Boot Repair", see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4635

I would download a disk for future use and you can boot directly from it as a normal OS in live mode, a very useful tool.

Download from here, just click on the link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair/

Or install the PPA per the guide!.

Regards Wolfman :D

jmckeone

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:35:46 pm

Attached is the drive with the Windows install I'm looking to add. Being a complete newb to Zorin I was wondering what the reference to that partition would be. When I last did anything with linux it would have turned up something like hd0a and I'm not familiar with what sdg refers to.

It would seem that the image won't upload or display.

/dev/sdg1 is the NTFS partition with /sdg2 being the ext4

Wolfman

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:33:10 pm

Hi,

your main drive should show up as "sda" which indicates it is the main hard drive, you show sdg1 so my question is, how many HDD's do you have on your PC?.

Do you have Zorin on an external drive as sdg1 would indicate a USB drive?.

Regards Wolfman :D