This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Two Zorin 7 Questions

PhilTilson

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:50:55 am

I have been 'playing' with Zorin 7 for a week or so now, as a new user to Linux-based systems, and all seems to be going quite well, with a couple of odd things.

1. I am using a TP-Link wi-fi dongle (WN722N) which the OS picked up and installed fine, and works well. The problem is that, every time the system goes into stand-by mode, when I revive it, the dongle has gone off-line, and I have to unplug it and replug it to get it going again. If I do this, it immediately re-connects and all is fine. But why does this happen, and is there anything I can do about it?

2. Again, the OS discovered my trusty old Laserjet 1220 printer and installed it correctly. When I try to print, the software goes through the motions, the data light on the printer blinks as normal, no error messages are posted - but no printed output appears either! There's nothing shown in the output list and after a prolonged period (a minute or so), the data light stops blinking and all is as before. As I say, nothing indicates any error, it simply doesn't print.

If I switch back to Win7, both of these problems disappear.

Any ideas, experts? :shock:

Phil

madvinegar

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:59:46 am

For the 1st problem I think I can help you.
With the dongle plugged in and your internet working, post back here the results of the temrinal commands
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network

For the 2n problem we need to see if there are any linux drivers for your printer.
Is your printer connected via USB or network?
How did you install it?
If it is connected via USB, please post back the result of:
lsusb

Your best chance to get it working is to install from software center the program called HPLIP and HPLIP tools.
Open it and then try to find and install your printer from there.

Otherwise you can download it from here: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html
As I see, your all-in-one-printer is supported.

PhilTilson

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:19:06 am

Here's the results of your enquiry:

~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 040b:2000 Weltrend Semiconductor
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 03f0:0417 Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 1200 series
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 03f0:0212 Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 1220C
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB

~$ sudo lshw -c network
PCI (sysfs)

Printer is connected via USB

Hope it makes sense to you!

Phil

madvinegar

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:25:54 am

I also need the result of
Code:
sudo lshw -c network

I think the driver you need is ath9k_htc but I want to confirm that.

It takes 3-4 seconds to show the result, so please wait and then post it back here. Thanx!

About the printer, as I said, download HPLIP and HPLIP-tools from software center and try find and to install the printer from there (HPlip program).

PhilTilson

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:50:15 pm

Sorry - I didn't wait long enough! Here it is:

~$ sudo lshw -c network
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@1:2
logical name: wlan0
serial: f8:d1:11:08:3c:8a
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k_htc driverversion=3.8.0-30-generic firmware=1.3 ip=192.168.2.4 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
~$

Wolfman

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:25:47 pm

Hi,

install the package "hplip-gui" and install your printer using the HPLip Toolbox gui:

Code:
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

See the post install guide about "Adding Printers":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:48:12 pm

About your first problem with the suspend of the dongle, indeed as you have seen, your wireless driver is ath9k_htc.

Open terminal and write:
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/modules

A file will open. Inside it add the line:

SUSPEND_MODULES="ath9k_htc"

Save, exit, reboot and test if your dongle wakes up after suspend.

About your second problem, I think it is just a matter of installing and using HPLIP as me and Wolfman advise you.

PhilTilson

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:32:12 pm

@madvinegar - tried that. See below...

~$ sudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/modules

** (gedit:28949): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist

** (gedit:28949): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist

(gedit:28949): IBUS-WARNING **: The owner of /home/phil/.config/ibus/bus is not root!

Still working on the printer...

[Update] Printer problem solved - thank you! Still puzzled about the errors above, though! :(

madvinegar

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:26:05 am

No problem about the errors. I get the same ones. The important think is: Did the blank document open? Did you insert the line

SUSPEND_MODULES="ath9k_htc"

inside it and then save it, exit, reboot?
Did you try after that to see if your wireless works after suspend?

PhilTilson

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:57:41 am

Interesting! The first time, the file did not open, so I assumed this was because of the error messages.

Having read your reply, I tried again. This time the file did open, though it was empty. I added the line as specified and - woo hoo! The wireless works after a suspend! Thanks again.

Having been wedded to Windows since version 3.0 (yes, I am that old!) it's going to be a bit of a learning curve, but I am already appreciating the advantages of Zorin.

Microsoft lost me for good when I foolishly 'upgraded' to Windows 8!

Phil

madvinegar

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:25:04 am

Great! So both of your issues are solved???
Can we mark the thread as solved?

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:56:17 am

PhilTilson wrote:Microsoft lost me for good when I foolishly 'upgraded' to Windows 8!
Phil

Interesting, as I made a comment that it looks like they copied Pear OS but badly on another forum and commented that you would have had to have had experience of Gnome3 DE to find your way around! Glad you are sorted - 60 blue jewels in advance to madvinegar! ;)