This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Menu too low

larmannjan

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:29:43 pm

I have a small problem with the Zorin menu being to low when I has set the panel ti auto-hide. As you can see in the image the Zorin menu is underneath the panel when I open it. How can I move it up? I have posted what the problem looks like and what my awn settings are.
AWNsettings.png

zorin_panel.jpeg

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:17:43 pm

I had this issue after customising the theme using 'Tweak Tool'. Open AWN preferences (right click the panel at the bottom and select 'AWN Preferences' and make sure that - oops will have to reboot as in Pear 8 trying to upload a wall for Pear - back in a while!

larmannjan

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:13:33 pm

?huh?
oops will have to reboot as in Pear 8 trying to upload a wall for Pear - back in a while!?/

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:14:04 pm

When I was responding I had a 'blank' out in my head - if you use intellihide or window dodge this will cause the issue - to resolve - install the 'task manager' function - to do so, click on task manager - the information is in that little 'i' next to your 'intellihide' box.

larmannjan

Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:56:37 pm

So here is what I did:
1. Right Click on panel > Dock Preferences
2. Applets > Launcher/Taskmanager > drag it down to the 'active' window.
3. close
4. log out > login

It still is below.

larmannjan

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:10:46 am

@Giz. I want the panel to auto-hide but keep the menu above

Wolfman

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:23:13 am

Hi,

if I understand you correctly; you want the panel on the top of your desktop, is that right?.

Right click panel > Dock Preferences > Preferences > Orientation > and select "Top" from the drop-down menu:
Awn Settings_050.jpg

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:58:12 am

Hi Wolfman, it is not that he wants the panel at the top (but it would solve his issue). He wants the panel at the bottom to 'intellihide' but when he 'unhides' and clicks on the 'Z' button the search bar and logout and turn-off buttons cannot be seen. I think because Ubuntu is updating with each release it would seem futile to have AWN on any version other than 6 of Zorin. They would do better if they put mate.nu that datek1 wrote.
I have screwed my 7 install up by trying to remove AWN and reinstall manually as outlined here:

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/03/how-to- ... unity.html

and promptly lost the Zorin DE.

I think with these intermediate releases (6 monthly rolling releases by Ubuntu) is causing real issues - new kernel will not necessarily have the dependencies needed for it to run smoothly (a bit like the windows wireless drivers not being 'complete' - dkms module etc which I have uploaded to the 'How-tos' section. I think 7 is so tightly written that if you mess with it you are screwed. The only other possible solution might be to use YAMA (Yet Another Menu Application) which is in the AWN applets but you then 'regress' to a Win2k type menu. The only other solution is to not have 'intellihide' or 'window dodge' active. I can confirm the OP's last posting is correct - task manager does not solve the issue.

larmannjan

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:21:01 pm

Alright I guess I will just have to find a way to live with it.

Anonymous

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:36:09 pm

If autohide is a must have.
You can install Cinnamon 1.8 Desktop.
Yo can add the Win7 menu or a choice of others.
And use all- of the- above > everything works.
Tested on Zorin OS7.

: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable

: sudo apt-get update

: sudo apt-get install cinnamon nemo

: Restart

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:02:51 pm

Great work Gizmuntu! I can't try this yet for reasons explained above - another 60 blue jewels to you sir! :D

larmannjan

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:23:51 pm

Gizmuntu wrote:If autohide is a must have.
You can install Cinnamon 1.8 Desktop.
Yo can add the Win7 menu or a choice of others.
And use all- of the- above > everything works.
Tested on Zorin OS7.

: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable

: sudo apt-get update

: sudo apt-get install cinnamon nemo

: Restart

I tried Linux Mint Cinnamon before and it was not stable at all, I got a lot of Kernal Panics. Is your method stable?

larmannjan

Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:53:56 pm

Did not work, Kernal panic everywhere. How can I undo those actions?

Wolfman

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:47:52 am

Hi,

restart your PC in recovery mode and start network using a network cable (not WIFI) and then drop to "root" and enter the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove cinnamon nemo

then restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on "Resume".

Restart again in recovery mode and start the network once more; then run "DPKG and restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on "Resume".

larmannjan

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:29:04 pm

Thanks Wolfman.
Do the zorin brothers plan on 'fixing' this?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:01:20 pm

I stated elsewhere that the menu has been 'branded' by Zorin as 'Zorin Menu' - it is actually based on 'GnoMenu' where the Developer just walked away from the project in 2010. Not sure if in this thread or elsewhere, I think that the Zorin brothers can safely choose a different menu system altogether (if you take a look at Windows 8.1 as an example). I noticed in Zorin 7 you can no longer bind the Windows key to launching the menu - that has been removed, as has alternative 'buttons' for the menu.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:44:14 am

larmannjan wrote:Thanks Wolfman.
Do the zorin brothers plan on 'fixing' this?

Hi,

if you mean "Autohide", it does work, you might need to play around with it a little!. I prefer "Intellihide" myself!.

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:25:28 am

Hi Wolfman, intellihide does work but causes issues when attempting to use the menu - that said, I notice if you click the Menu button, then hover away from it, autohide comes into place leaving the search bar clear to enter or click on the menu buttons - but takes a bit of getting used to! :D