This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Help for a complete rookie

benny44

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:57:36 am

Ok, so I've decided to switch from Windows to Linux. I did it once before on a really old machine with limited success....but that was the computer's fault. Anyway, I've decided to give (after much googling) Zorin 7 a go. I have a few questions though. First, should I go with lite? Here are my computer specs: 2 GB of RAM, intel core 2 duo cpu E6400@2.13 GHz and a tiny 150 GB HD. As well, I am wondering if I can install this using a CD-R. I am in Canada, it's thanksgiving here tomorrow so there is nowhere I can get a DVD-R (small town), plus I have the day off and I have time to do it. And no, I don't have a flash drive I can use either.

One other thing: I am running Windows Vista right now and I don't want to get rid of it just yet. Would it be advisable for me to run both? (dual boot?) And if someone could steer me in the direction of a good tutorial for a complete dummy that would be great. Anyway, appreciate you taking the time to read my long winded question. Looking forward to your answers/suggestions!

Wolfman

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:37:31 am

Hi,

for partitioning, see this thread, there are different scenarios which also covers dual booting:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

If you plan on using a disk to install, see this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

Please post any other questions you have.

Regards Wolfman :D

benny44

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:38:32 am

Thanks for the quick reply! My only other question is what do you recommend for my computer considering the specs? I would like the full version and not lite, but I don't want it to slow down my computer too much.

Pierre

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:59:31 am

Here are my computer specs: 2 GB of RAM, intel core 2 duo cpu E6400@2.13 GHz and a tiny 150 GB HD.

that will run the full version of Zorin :)

- however:- you may want to consider Zorin 6 which is a LTS,
& which has 2 -3 years of life still in it, rather than Zorin 7 or even Zorin 8 ( not released yet)
as they will have of life span of around a year.

use the disk_management, which is built into Vista,
to shirk back the RHS of the hdd by an amount that you wish to use for Zorin.
- as it is only 150Gb in size, you may want to consider about 50 - 80 Gb in size.

once the vacant space has been created, - run up the Zorin disk & then it's installer ..

madvinegar

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:14:18 am

You need a DVD. Zorin7 is larger that 670mb so it will not fit in a CD.
I suggest the full version of Zorin7 (or Zorin6) as well. You can see that for yourself when you boot the live session of Zorin. Use your computerlike that for as long as you like, make sure that everything works and if you are happy with the speed and operation of your laptop then you can proceed in installing Zorin.

This is the power of Linux. Try before installing. :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55:04 am

I will post when I get back home - there is a way to install from an .iso image with ... NO DISK! :D

benny44

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:58:16 pm

Wow! All this help from complete strangers. Thanks! I have just defragmented and am about to use the RHS to give me some space. Then I am going to partition my hard drive. Looking forward to hearing from you Swarfendor437. Remember, it's ok to talk to me like a 5 year old since I feel like one right now :). BTW, this is a desktop if that makes any difference

Anonymous

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35:45 pm

benny44 >
I've been playing around with Zorin OS 6.4 Ultimate X64.
On different machines to see the overall stability.
And I'm actually happy to say for once that things are looking good.
To make the story short.

Zorin OS 6.4 Ultimate/Core X32 <> X64 will work for your desktop.
2-Gb Ram will do just fine.

If you run across an extra 2-GB to add.
It won't hurt, but improve over all speed even more.

Just follows Wolfmans post install guide and you'll be ok.

If and when you want to customize the looks of Zorin OS.
Let me know, and I'll help ya out.

Gizzy

benny44

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:40:24 pm

Ok, so I did all that. My next question is what about the lite version? It's only 650 mb and the cds that I have are 700 mb. Would that work and can I upgrade to the core version easily after that? Or will it be the same process? I'm anxious to get started on this as I am very busy the rest of the week

benny44

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:42:22 pm

Thanks Gizmuntu. I am actually pretty excited to get this started.

Anonymous

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:55:54 pm

What Make/Mode is your Desktop.
Want to look at your Desktop in more detail.

Zorin OS Lite is ok for your Desktop.
But it isn't LTS = Long Term Support
I'd rather help you get the full gusto installed and be done with it.
You can do your thing for the next couple of years and not have to worry about upgrading ect.

So let me know Make/Model of your Desktop, whereas Myself and the others will know exactly what route will be easiest for you to install Zorin OS.

In the long run you'd be much happier with the Core or Premium > Zorin OS !!!!

Gizzy

benny44

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:35:54 pm

The specs I gave are the only ones I really know. The guy I bought it from was a computer guy...he repairs ATMs for a living so he built this for me. It says HP rp5700, has a lightscribe DVD burner and is running Windows Vista business. If there is something more you would like tell me how to get it and I would be more than happy to do it. Thanks!

Anonymous

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:45:58 pm

benny44 wrote:The specs I gave are the only ones I really know. The guy I bought it from was a computer guy...he repairs ATMs for a living so he built this for me. It says HP rp5700, has a lightscribe DVD burner and is running Windows Vista business. If there is something more you would like tell me how to get it and I would be more than happy to do it. Thanks!

Use the USB install method.
Wolfman has already left you the link on how to install Zorin OS via USB.
That is if you happen to own a > " USB Flash Drive "
I stay away from DVD's now a days.
With all the different things that can go wrong.
It can get very expensive.

Note : Note to Boot Zorin OS from USB to need to press [ Esc ] a few seconds after you hit the power.
This is the usual routine for booting from USB on the majority of HP > Desktops <

benny44

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:55:04 pm

Well after searching everywhere for a DVD my wife handed me her flash drive. I am in luck! Thank you for all your help. If you don't hear from me in a while you will know something went horribly wrong with the installation :)

Anonymous

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:01:28 pm

Do one important thing before you install Zorin OS on the USB.
Do a complete format on the USB > not a quick format.
To make sure it's nice and clean.

benny44

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:06:03 pm

Just doing that now. I have the full Zorin downloaded and ready to go. I went in and partitioned my hd. Is there anything else I should do? The tutorial may cover this anyway, if so disregard my question

Anonymous

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:13:52 pm

benny44 wrote:Just doing that now. I have the full Zorin downloaded and ready to go. I went in and partitioned my hd. Is there anything else I should do? The tutorial may cover this anyway, if so disregard my question

If your dual booting along side of Windows, make darn sure you have a good backup of your Windows side before you go forth with the Zorin OS installation.

Wolfmans tutorial is where you should read over a couple of times very careful.
Make sure you have a complete understanding as what to do.

Got to head out for practice.
Be back online in a couple of hours.

benny44

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:53:20 pm

Ok, so I put on the .iso on a thumb drive using universal usb installer, following the steps they said. Tried booting from the USB drive. Selected the first option on the (I assume?) Zorin screen. Something that ended with "and persistently save changes". After that it went to a black dos-like screen and said there was an error. Something about a kernel image I believe. It ended with a colon and gave me an opportunity to type something. Which of course I didn't do since I was completely lost. Please help!

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34:40 pm

I am not wanting to hijack this thread, but this is the most appropriate thread on how to install from an .iso downloaded to the hard drive:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ing+iso+hd

Wolfman

Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:56:35 am

benny44 wrote:Ok, so I put on the .iso on a thumb drive using universal usb installer, following the steps they said. Tried booting from the USB drive. Selected the first option on the (I assume?) Zorin screen. Something that ended with "and persistently save changes". After that it went to a black dos-like screen and said there was an error. Something about a kernel image I believe. It ended with a colon and gave me an opportunity to type something. Which of course I didn't do since I was completely lost. Please help!

Hi,

if you can see the boot menu when starting from the USB stick; you can try the following, as soon as you see the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key
tab key.jpeg
tab key.jpeg (3.19 KiB)
and type "nomodeset" (you can also try "acpi=off" if nomodeset doesn't work for you) then press enter and see if it boots, there is also and option to boot in safe mode, you should try that also.

What are your PC's specs and what graphics card does it have?.

Linx

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:41:03 am

I hope the install goes well.

I have successfully ran Core 32 bit on a computer with e 3.2 Ghx Pentium 4, with 1.5 GB or ram and a 30GB HDD.
Full specs: http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Pr ... 509443.pdf

And personally, I really like Zorin 7. A heck of alot more than 6, it just seems cleaner, but that may be just me.

The only time I have every had to run the lite version was not for computer specs but for battery life. I had a computer that in windows had a battery life of about 10 minutes, in Zorin lite, that expanded to about 20-30 minutes. I made some additional modifications (no X) and got 1-2 hours out of it. Yay Linux.

benny44

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:57:55 am

Thanks everyone for all the help. I have Zorin downloaded and I'm good to go. Crazy busy with work, so haven't had any time to do it. It failed when I tried the first time, so I had to redownload it again yesterday. I actually was able to get mint 15 installed and running fine but neither my wife or I really care for it. (is it blasphemous to mention other flavors of linux? Or is this all one happy community?) Anyway, going to do the install in the morning and I will let you know if all goes well. Thanks again!

benny44

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:59:04 am

And I've decided to try Zorin 7....it looks a little sharper I think and anything that looks better will help me convince my wife to use it!

Wolfman

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:23:47 am

Hi Benny,

glad to hear it, have marked as solved!.