This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS keeps freezeing

gabeapp

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:18:36 am

i installed Zorin on my SSD, i am dual booting windows 8 and Zorin, but it keeps freezeing, windows runs perfectly and couldnt be happier with the performance, but i would really like to have zorin running on the drive also. i have had people tell me it is the drive that is faulty, if it is faulty then please explain how windows is working perfectly fine but linux wont, then i will believe you. its not just zorin, its all linux distros (mint, debian, fedora etc...).

thanks in advance!

Wolfman

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:25:01 am

Hi,

try the terminal command:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

(Ideally the above should be done in recovery mode, boot into reovery mode and start "network" (network cable required) then drop to "root" and restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del", do not click on "Resume"!!:)

And you can try the force update command if the above doesn't work, boot into reovery mode and start "network" (network cable required) then drop to "root" and restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del", do not click on "Resume"!!:):

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

What graphics card does your PC have?.

For Nvidia:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:52:11 am

Sadly, datek1 is no longer with us - don't know if bilfriis on his triple boot used an SSD for his install - but if not would advise due to the nature of Windows 8 and Secure Boot you would be better getting a standard drive, install Zorin to that but not BEFORE removing the SSD.

gabeapp

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:18:27 pm

thanks for the reply Wolfman, but i forgot to mention some information, sorry!
the extra info is zorin runs fine for a couple of minutes, but when i am using the shell and run a command, i get an I/O Error, the system does not shutdown, it will keep running, even though i cant move the move after awhile and the keyboard input doesnt work either i am forced to press and hold the power button.
I will get the exact error message later, but it is something todo with linux not being compatible with the SSD or something relative to that, like a missing driver or something

Anonymous

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:39:15 pm

How to fix the main problem : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5689

From my experience with SSD's, it wouldn't be a good idea for the average user.

Here's the three best reasons > " From personal viewpoint " [ Why ]
1.) To much $$$$ for the little amount in drive space.
2.) Controller issues with quite a few of the late model computers still in use.
3.) 2-TB HD 7200 RPM for half the $$$$ of an SSD.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:18:06 pm

Hi,

did you do a disk install and follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Regards Wolfman :D