This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Uploaded screenshots don't show properly

Jaime

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:03:12 am

I took some screenshots with shutter and uploaded them to this forum for some help. I then checked to see if they were showing correctly and noticed that they are not. They are fine on my desktop. I did have some updates today so I'm not sure if that did anything. I tried using chrome and I get the same thing. I just get what you see on the attached file. Do you have any idea of what this may be. I thought it was the long file names which I'm still having a problem with, but then I shorten the names, uploaded again and still, nothing changed.
http://avsnap.com/forum/index.php?topic=185.0

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:18:48 am

Did you choose that theme or have you undertaken a recent upgrade that included 'Ubuntu' updates which can corrupt Zorin? In 7 I think this is set to Never but on 6.0 I don't think was the default setting. I noticed that the window decoration looks like Ubuntu rather than Zorin. That file indicates that it is in /tmp - any screenshot should save to 'Pictures' - I would also avoid any underlines - you can rename the whole screenshot by highlighting all the text in front of the .png to a simple word that describes the picture you are taking or reference subject - see my recent posting here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5712#p27214

What happens when you use the inbuilt software? (Menu | Accessories | Screenshot)

Jaime

Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:42:22 pm

I checked the defaults for the updates on 6 and only LTS updates was already selected. That's fine with me since this is the reason I chose LTS. I didn't see any version updates, but there were just some regular updates for other things that I can't remember now. Sounds like the Ubuntu guys are still breaking things every update. I don't know but once I need to update more screenshots I'll check things out again as I'm not sure what is causing that. I thought it may just be the other forum but I looked at an old screenshot I uploaded with windows a while back and got the same thing. I know that was working so I'll wait and see what they say on there if anything.

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:48:03 pm

Now if you got the same results in Windows that could be possible indication of failing hard drive - I've seen similar hieroglyphs on failing drives with file names looking like that - I would check your file system a.s.a.p. by choosing 2nd menu option at boot and run 'fsck'.

Jaime

Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:25:18 am

Sorry, what I meant was I used my windows laptop to look at the screenshots I uploaded from zorin and an old screenshot that was uploaded like a year or more. Basically they didn't show on the laptop either so I thought maybe it's the new updates that screw something up in zorin or the forum is having some problems displaying any png files. My hard drives are fairly new and haven't had any problems there yet. I'll wait and see how things develop on the forum side as I'm waiting to see about the program and on my updates.

Wolfman

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:42:39 am

Hi,

don't try and upload PNG pics to the forum, use only JPG format.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:35:56 am

Hi Wolfman, I usually do this but on odd occasions (I don't know why it happens) the .png file is smaller than the .jpg so I upload the .png file - but only where it is smaller.

Jaime

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:17:14 pm

Interesting. I just changed the file type fron png to jpeg which gives me a much smaller file. I didn't realize this. Unfortunately the default print screen button still gives me a png file if I don't use shutter. Thanks for the heads up on that bit. I'll try to use jpeg as my default from now on. I like the smaller files anyway since I'm just trying to show a problem and not print.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:36:55 pm

Jaime wrote:Interesting. I just changed the file type fron png to jpeg which gives me a much smaller file. I didn't realize this. Unfortunately the default print screen button still gives me a png file if I don't use shutter. Thanks for the heads up on that bit. I'll try to use jpeg as my default from now on. I like the smaller files anyway since I'm just trying to show a problem and not print.

After you have taken your screenshot as a .png, just go to your Pictrues folder and double-click it to view in 'image viewer' then click on 'Save As' and just change the extension to ,jpg in the save as box! ;)

This is what I do!

Wolfman

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:54:06 am

Hi Jaime,

take a look at the FAQ's here for Shutter:

http://shutter-project.org/

Jaime

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:55:56 pm

Well I just ran into another little problem with this. Even though I changed the file type to jpeg, guess what, the forum doesn't allow jpeg files, only jpg! LOL. So I renamed the new screenshot to jpg, but I don't know if it will work. There's no option in shutter to change the default to jpg only jpeg. Now I have to go look this up, I thought they were the same thing. Avsnap is a windows program, but that forum is really making me work.

Linx

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:59:03 am

jpg and jpeg are the same format.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:45:17 am

Jaime wrote:Well I just ran into another little problem with this. Even though I changed the file type to jpeg, guess what, the forum doesn't allow jpeg files, only jpg! LOL. So I renamed the new screenshot to jpg, but I don't know if it will work. There's no option in shutter to change the default to jpg only jpeg. Now I have to go look this up, I thought they were the same thing. Avsnap is a windows program, but that forum is really making me work.

:shock:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5711#p27284

Jaime

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17:19 pm

I did check that. I also just used shutter to save the screenshot as a gif, but the forum still won't show this file either. I'm attaching a screenshot of their file types. I have also just double clicked my screenshot and tried the "save as" and the only option there is jpeg, no jpg file type. Yes, that forum seems to be weird about that, but now that the gif doesn't display on my windows machine either, I have no idea what is happening. The only thing that seems to work is the youtube video.

Jaime

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:24:24 pm

I just tried doing another test with a gif file. Still no go even though this is a supported file. My firefox also crapped out like it's been doing.
http://avsnap.com/forum/index.php?topic ... 497#msg497

Auldyin

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:21:33 am

Hi Jalme

I notice you are opening a picture file in gedit which is a text editor.
Screenshot-1.png

Shouldn't it be opened in a picture viewer i.e. the Zorin defaults, Image Viewer or Shotwell Photo Viewer :?:

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Jaime

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:14:17 am

You're right, that is the default when I was testing to open the file from the forum or maybe it was my desktop I can't remember now. I was trying to view files from there and zorin i think just asked if I wanted to open with that or choose another program which I couldn't get to. I'm just going by memory now. In any case, I did manage to make a diagram. Do you know of any other free diagramming software? Avsnap has some nice features but I think development is not often on it so it's crashing every now and then along with firefox also freezing on me. As you can see I have also used their forum but not one reply so I'm not going to try and keep trying to figure out what the heck is going on with it. Can't say I didn't try. :( I'll keep using it the way it is, but I just have to rememember that. Here's a sample of what I was able to make while trying to learn it in the past two days. I have a power window kit that was bought many years ago and I lost the sheet that came with it. I then took it out the other day to try and set it up and two switches don't work, so that's why I ended up making a diagram of the wires that it has, to hopefully help me figure out how to make it work. I'm currently installing the Diag program. It was very simple when I first tried it years ago.

Wolfman

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:21:15 am

Hi Jaime,

a whole list of goodies for you here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuEngineering

Auldyin

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:03:08 pm

hi Jalme

So your picture files don't load in gedit by default :?:

For diagramming software look in the Software Centre - Science & Engineering - Electronics.

Cheers Auldyin

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:46:57 pm

Ah yes Dia is a very good all-round tech-drawing piece of software. Whilst preparing diagrams in school I used to be able to do circuit diagrams very quickly but now it is a 'managed service' that piece of software never made it! :(

In respect of the 'gedit' issue, I don't think this is limited to Zorin - it's a Gnome3/Ubuntu 12.10 upwards issue where default items in the context menu bear no resemblance to what you want to use e.g., Wine for example does not show up with .exe's but Archive Manager! :evil:

Jaime

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:00:22 pm

Thanks guys, very helpful information. I think you may be right about the edit program being there before and not having another option to choose the program I want to use to open the attachments. I was just trying to test the file but it's fine. I used the windows laptop and the file still didn't show so I'll just stick to the videos there if I need to add anything else. I just try to give back feedback to help improve things like that, that's all. I'm not trying to be a complainer in any way shape or form on that forum. Not that they said anything, so I do appreciate the work they did on it. I'll check out the link wolman added, there are a few other proggies I haven't seen.

Jaime

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:03:24 pm

Sorry I missed yours. My default was the editor, but now that I think about it, maybe it went to that due to the way the file was scrambled or whatever happened to it. I'll have to keep that in mind and see if I get anything other than the editor with other pictures. I haven't had any other things to look at so can't say if it will pick that up or not. I hope it's image viewer.

Auldyin wrote:Hi Jalme

I notice you are opening a picture file in gedit which is a text editor.
Screenshot-1.png

Shouldn't it be opened in a picture viewer i.e. the Zorin defaults, Image Viewer or Shotwell Photo Viewer :?:

Cheers Auldyin