This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printer IP when adding

zenonzanoni

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:58:40 am

Hi,

How can I make Zorin show the IP of the printer being added when searching the network, just like Linux Mint 15 or Elementary (Luna) Linux does?

In other words, if right now with version 7 (or the previous versions too, like v6), you go to the System Settings, open Printers, and then try to add a network printer, what you get is a list of printer names but no IP next to the names. You see, I have two or more network printers of the exact same model and make and right now it is a problem to "guess" from within this window which printer is which. Linux Mint 15 shows the IP and the Name right there and then. See attached picture.

I DO know how to make the printer spit a paper with the current IP. But once I go to the "Add" window, there is no way to know which printer has which IP. It becomes a trial an error choir.

Please fix/add this... or please tell me how to enable this option.

Thank you.

Linux-Mint-15-Adding-Network-Printer.png

Wolfman

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:05:25 am

Hi,

I have never done it myself but this might help you:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Netwo ... WithUbuntu

Regards Wolfman :D

zenonzanoni

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:46:10 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. However, it seems you didn't read my question or even looked at the picture. I mean no disrespect.

Please see this other picture attached here.

I was not asking how to do it in Ubuntu or Linux Mint. I was asking how to make Zorin show the Printer name with the IP next to it, just like Linux Mint does.

Maybe the answer was automated by a computer, where it is program to find some key words and then provide a link based on that.

Any how, if someone has done it, test it, if you know how to make this happen, please tell me.

Thank you.

p.s. This screenshot is from Zorin 7. This is what you get when trying to add a network printer. You only get the name. It is good only if you have one single network printer of the same make and model. If you have more of the exact same printer, then you have to guess by trial and error.

Zorin7-Adding-Printer.png

Wolfman

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:57:05 pm

Hi,

judging by your pic, you have added no printer so how can you set up the IP?. Take a look at my printer setup and you will see that my IP is "Localhost" as I only have 1 printer, I did tell you that I don't know how to do it myself and that is why I posted that link for you!:
Printers_054.jpg

I would think that your first step would be to add the printers then start from there setting up your printer network!.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:28:04 pm

zenonzanoni

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:31:11 pm

Thank you for your kind effort. The problem is that I am not explaining the problem correctly. It’s my fault.

Let me try again. Have patience please.

I do not want to know the IP of my printer AFTER is has been added. I want to know it BEFORE it is added, from the window to install printers, as it shows the list of network printers found.

The first picture I provided with the original post belongs to Linux Mint 15. It shows the list of network printers with IP at the moment of adding them. The second picture I provided belongs to Zorin 7 with a list of network printers at the moment of adding them but it does not show the IP like Mint does. The picture provided by “wolfman” shows a printer AFTER it has been added, and still with no IP. I absolutely mean no disrespect but his answer does not make sense. It seems he is new to networks. He was honest though, he said he has not done it himself. Well, he should not reply. We are only waiting time. I don’t like waiting time… there is too little.

Here is the scenario.

I am booting different Live Linux distros from DVDs: Linux Mint 15 (Mate and Cinamon), Ubunto 13, OpenSuse, Fedora, Pear OS 7 and the beta 8, Zorin 7 (and I have also tried 6), and Elementary Luna. I have tried many others (Budhi, Manjaro, Slitaz, etc, etc.) but I have settle for these main verions.

Now, when I turn on my computer, I insert a DVD containing Linux Mint 15 and I let it boot.

The Linux desktop comes up. All is well: wire or wireless network is done automatically. I connected to my NAS too. I can go online. Everything works as it is supposed to with a live Linux DVD. (By the way, I am looking for an alternative Linux distro to replace Windows at work and I am trying different one to see which one has what we need.)

Then, I want to add my network printer. So, I go to System Preferences. I click the Printer icon (this is Linux Mint 15, please remember this) and then click on Add. NOTE: I do not have to turn on any firewall, install anything else or use the Terminal. This is exactly step by step of what I do.

The next window shows a list of network printers that have been found “automatically” right after I clicked the Add button (of course, I waited for about ten seconds since I noticed that it was automatically searching). From the list of NETWORK printers that are being shown, I have to click on one and then click on “Proceed” (in Zorin the button is “Add”).

At work, and at home, I have several printers of the same make and model. For the sake of this conversation, let me say I have five HP Laserjet 3600 network printers connected to the… you guessed it: network, and each is being shown on the list given by Linux Mint 15.

Right here, it is very easy to know which printer I want (each printer is located in a different room too, not that it matters). I go to my printer, number 2, and make it spit a network setup page which tells me the IP being used on that particular printer. In this case it shows IP 10.160.55.22

Then I go back to my computer with the live Linux Mint 15, and, wait for it… wait… for… it… simply choose the printer which Linux Mint 15 is showing with the IP I am looking for, besides the name of HP Laserjet 3600. In other words, Linux Mint 15 is showing a list of printer like this:

HP LaserJet 3600 (10.160.55.15)
HP LaserJet 3600 (10.160.55.45)
HP LaserJet 3600 (10.160.55.100)
HP LaserJet 3600 (10.160.55.22)
HP LaserJet 3600 (10.160.55.35)

Zorin show the list of found network printers like this:

HP LaserJet 3600
HP LaserJet 36002
HP LaserJet 36003
HP LaserJet 3600
HP LaserJet 3600

Anyways, going back to Linux Mint 15…

After I click on the one printer I need to select, I click “Forward” (“Add” in Zorin), and the printer is added to my list of printers (of course, after the Linux finds the proper drivers, etc.).

Does this make sense to you?

With Zorin, since it will only show the name of the printer “when adding it” with only a “sequential” number, I have to click on one and install it. Test it. Ah, it was not that one. Let’s remove it. Let’s “Add” the second one… Nope, that wasn’t it either… etc. Until I find the right one. How do I know it wasn’t the right one? Because I request a “test page” and it will not print it.

Now… Can someone with network experience please tell me how to make Zorin show the IP of my network printer next to the list of names of all the printers found when adding them? Not after it has been added. Please?

I know all of you would like to help me and have good intentions. However, I would prefer someone that has DONE IT before, someone who knows about this problem and how to fix it, if it is fixable, someone with network experience and that uses network printers. The only reply I got here is from someone using one network printer. That won’t help me. But I appreciate the effort though.

I do networks for Windows and Mac, but I am now trying to switch to Linux. I found Zorin and I like it to the point that I would like to implement it at work. I will not be the only one adding printers there. Our staff will have to do it too and they need it to work the way Linux Mint 15 does when it comes to adding printers.

If Zorin cannot do it, then is ok. Linux Mint it is for us then, or Linux Elementary.

Just so you know, Linux Elementary (Luna) does it just like Linux Mint 15. There are a few other distros that work this way too. But I am debating between Linux Mint 15 and Linux Elementary, because it is not for me, it is for the staff at work and they need specific functionality that Zorin doesn’t seem to have when it comes to adding network printers.

I apologize for the long explanation or if I sounded rude. I just need my problem to be well described so that I can get the right answer.

Thank you.

Wolfman

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:46:59 am

Hi,

thanks for your full explanation, I take no offence so no problem there!. :D

You can try this command in a terminal and see if it lists the IP's of your printers:

Code:
lpinfo -v

and you can try reading through this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems

I cannot help you further as like I said, I have never done it, the only other option is of course to search the web.

Sorry I cannot help you further.

Good luck!. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:46:40 am

Just as an aside here, I used to have Zorin 5 on a USB and I could find a Network printer by spitting out an information page at work or checking in Windows first what the IP of the printer was before booting from USB so I could install the printer that way but 18 months down the line it no longer works and there has been no change in Windows 7 Enterprise network. I am wondering if it is a CIFS issue - by that I mean that Samba has now been deprecated since 12.04 - Zorin 6 is based on that, and 7 is based on 13.04 - so suspect Samba will still be deprecated. If CIFS is used I wonder if it would make any difference, but I am just guessing here.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:26:56 am

Found something else for you which might help:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/87540/fi ... ip-address