This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

help please

zorin0s

Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:51:26 am

Hello, my old pc blew up and had to get a new one. I have just reinstalled zorin on it and have got it pretty much to my liking, apart from a few things. The first major thing being I can't shut down my pc. When i click shut down, it appears as though it's going to but then it goes to a blue login screen. Any ideas what is going on? Ive tried login in as a guest aswell and it still won't shut down, it just keeps going back to the login screen. Also another minor glitch is that when i watch a video or music, it stutters every now and then

3.2.0-55-generic-pae #85-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 2 14:03:15 UTC 2013 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Description: Zorin OS 6
Release: 6
Codename: precise

Wolfman

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:47:39 am

Hi,

start your PC in recovery mode and first activate "Network" (Network cable required) then run "DPKG" per this guide, let us know how you get on:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

If it won't shut down normally, press Ctrl + Alt + t and enter this command in the terminal:

Code:
sudo poweroff

Or:

Code:
sudo shutdown -h now

You can also try forcing an update with this terminal command if there are missing dependencies:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

zorin0s

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:19:37 am

I did the upgrade and it seems to be switching off normally now. Not sure about the weird video stutter, will keep you posted. tnx

Wolfman

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:30:29 am

Hi,

do you have a Nvidia graphics card?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Let us know please.

zorin0s

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:37:18 am

No here are my new system specs

Processor Model: Amd E2-1800
Processor Speed: 1.7Ghz
Display: None
System RAM: 4Gb Ddr3 (1 X 4Gb)
Hard Disk: 1Tb 5400Rpm
Optical Drive: Dvd Supermulti Sata
Card Reader: Multi-In-1 Card Reader (Mmc, Sd)
Video Graphics: Hd7470 (2Gb) Dvi/Hdmi
Keyboard and Mouse: Ps2 Keyboard And Mouse
Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/PCI-Ex1/LP/2T2R/EX-Antenna

zorin0s

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:46:44 pm

The stuttering is really bad. youtube videos play ok, but the sound stutters periodically, if i watch other videos online away from youtube the video is as choppy as anything. I am assuming it may have something to do with upgrading drivers but have no idea how

Wolfman

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:19:18 am

Hi,

install your graphic card drivers via the System Settings menu, right click on the top panel Computer Icon > “System Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers" and select the “Recommended version for your card, install them (“Activate”) and restart your PC.

Do an update after you restart and restart again!.

Let us know if it helps.

zorin0s

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:36:41 am

didnt really help. videos are still laggy, like going frame by frame jerkyness

Wolfman

Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:49:18 am

Hi,

run this command and restart again:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Is the lagging only when you are on the internet?.

Let us know if it helps.

zorin0s

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:02:09 am

videos on dvd are ok, youtuve videos are ok, although i just went to watch one in HD and it was taking forever to change it to the 1080p. it seems to happen on HD videos

im still getting audio stutter aswell

zorin0s

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:04:23 am

still getting audio stutter aswell

Wolfman

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:15:44 am

Hi,

I recommend that for the best sound playback; you use "Pulse Audio Manager", it has a good number of settings which under normal circumstances will give you excellent sound support. (You'll find in under sound & video once installed!)

Install these packages via a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-all faac flac paman

You might want to check that the package "sox" is also installed just to be on the safe side!!. (You can look in Synaptic but it should already be installed! and if it isn't, install it, it is very important!)

For lagging videos via Flash, right click any flash video while it is playing and select "Global Settings" > "Global Storage Settings panel" and move the slider all the way to the right!.

Hope it helps.