This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Screensavers and Co

Linko

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:27:39 am

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Linux and was wondering why there is no screensaver option in the Standard edition of Zorin OS 7?

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:43:45 pm

Basically, screensavers aren't necessary these days because they were originally designed to help prevent 'burn-in' on CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors. TFT/LCD/LED don't require this due to the technology involved - however there is nothing to stop you installing X-screensaver from the repository using synaptic or from a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver

:D

Wolfman

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:24:37 am

Hi,

open System Settings > Personal > Brightness & Lock and check your settings there:

Brightness & Lock_055.jpg

There is also "Screen idle activation" in Dconf Editor:

Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Desktop > Screensaver > idle-activation-enabled

dconf Editor_056.jpg

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:26:00 pm

Hi Wolfman, I think he was meaning why no 'traditional' screensaver! :D (Pear 7 included a screensaver [xscreensaver I believe] but interestingly absent in Pear 8) :D

Wolfman

Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:32:38 pm

Hi Swarf,

"Screensaver" is installed by default on Ubuntu systems, I disable it myself!.

Package is "gnome-screensaver" I think?.

Linko

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:32:42 am

Thanks for the replies.

I was just wondering why such a simple thing wasn't included in a default install of an OS. I think you have pretty much answered the question, although Zorin is supposed to be a 'Windows User' friendly OS, gently introducing the user to Linux. As a Windows user the first thing people are going to do is get used to using the OS by doing things to make it feel more familiar. A screensaver is probably one of the first ports of call. Zorin is a really good Linux system, I just think the absence of a screensaver options area is a little odd.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:53:15 am

Hi Linko,

it is installed it is just that it is not the same as Windows as it is a very simple screensaver, if you want something animated and that is what you mean:

http://www.howtogeek.com/114027/

Or just open Synaptic and type "xscreensaver" in search to install it.

Linko

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:16:55 am

Thanks Wolfman, I've done that and am able to select a few screensavers through preferences. I'm not having a go at Linux or anything as I think what has been created for free through open source is amazing, generous and an absolute god-send for some. I'm just getting my head around the concept really and thought the screensaver issue would be a good place to start :)

Wolfman

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:38:35 am

Hi Linko,

no problem, Linux does take some getting used, all the various versions of Linux will make promises, some of which they can't keep, new users of Linux must also be ready to learn something new, I suppose if you moved from Windows to MAC, you would suffer the same!.

Can we mark this as solved?.

Linko

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:36:17 pm

From what I've read, MAC is Unix based the same as Linux, so yes the learning curve would be somewhat similar for curious george's like me. Apple make everything so easy to use though that most are happy with whats offered i guess.

Anyway...rambling again....yes Wolfman, we can mark this as solved. Thanks for the help :)

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:31:50 pm

OK, got my schoolmaster head on now! (and don't feel offended! ;) )

1. Mac is 'nix but not Unix - based on an OS called Darwin with bits of BSD thrown in (I think!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexley#Mascot

2. Linux could not exist without GNU = GNU is Not Unix

https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-history.html

Linko

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:12:05 am

Lol I stand corrected...but educated (fair play).

http://support.apple.com/kb/ta25634