This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is it safe to install updates?

kadafi

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:47:46 pm

I'm getting update notifications and one of the items says "Ubuntu base".
Is it safe to install these updates that pops up or will it mess the OS up?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:46:48 pm

I would avoid any Ubuntu updates! Please open your Update Manager and click on the Settings button - click on the Updates Tab and make sure that 'Update to the latest version of Ubuntu' is set to 'Never'.

Wolfman

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:49:13 am

kadafi wrote:I'm getting update notifications and one of the items says "Ubuntu base".
Is it safe to install these updates that pops up or will it mess the OS up?

Hi,

you can install that package no problem, you should still follow Swarf's advice!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

jojothehobo

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:43:32 pm

I had a problem with kernel updates making my system not boot until I booted to an earlier kernel. In my case this was a 3.2.xx for Zorin 6 Ultimate LTS. What I did to solve this, based on some advice from either Wolfman or Swarfendor437 was to use Synaptic to uninstall the newer kernels, and this is key, use the completely remove option. Following that the update manager never tried to install a kernel from post Zorin 6 (Ubuntu 12.04). It only installed the latest 3.2.xx kernel and it boots everytime. I'm not sure of how this happened but it worked for me.

all the best
Jojo