This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

wifi and other drivers

feelin'good

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:27:51 am

Just purchased the below notebook and installed Zorin 7 on it after wiping Win8 - need to find, download, and install wifi, lan, and a
few other drivers- would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Using a a linksys wifi usb at the moment.
A friend and I spent the better part of hour searching Zorin, sofware updater etc and couldn't them or a way to do it.
The notebook would say connected when hooked directly to a modem but would not connect to the net.

hp pavilion 17 notebook pc
AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon hd graphics
Gallium 0.4 llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 128 bits)
64 bit
quadcore

madvinegar

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:19:58 am

Please post back here the results of the following commands:

lspci -nn
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

Wolfman

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:41:29 am

Hi,

further to MV'S suggestion, did you select to install 3rd party software when installing Zorin (Ubuntu), there are WiFi drivers included in that package!.

Regards Wolfman :D

feelin'good

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:35:09 pm

wolfman, Though it was the expectation to be offered such an option it can never be found during installation,was offered a variety of other options though-security and other updates.

feelin'good

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:37:24 pm

madvinegar-just a quick look to see replies-will do so later in the day and thanks

Wolfman

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:00:02 am

feelin'good wrote:wolfman, Though it was the expectation to be offered such an option it can never be found during installation,was offered a variety of other options though-security and other updates.

Hi feelin'good,

you are right; I forgot that Zorin installs those packages automatically, I have been installing other OS'es recently and am used to having that option sorry!. :oops:

When you say "Modem", do you mean a "Router" or a DSL modem which you need to enter your user account details for your network connection?:

Setting up ppp

Open a terminal (Applications > System Tools > Terminal) and type

Code:
sudo pppconfig

You will be on the main menu. Choose 'Create Create a connection'.
Leave the name as 'provider', hit 'Ok'.
Select 'Dynamic Use dynamic DNS', hit 'Ok'.
Select 'PAP Peer Authentication Protocol', hit 'Ok'.
Enter your user name for the ISP, hit 'Ok'.
Enter your password for the ISP, hit 'Ok'.
Leave the speed at 115200 as recommended, hit 'Ok'.
Choose Tone or Pulse dialing, hit 'Ok'.
Enter the phone number to your ISP (do not use any dashes), hit 'Ok'.
You can try to have your modem detected automatically, but it did not work for me, even on my easily detectable external modem.
If the modem wasn't detected, it will ask you for the port your modem is on. Enter the device name for your modem, hit 'Ok'.
A summary screen will appear and give you the opportunity to make changes if needed.
Choose 'Finished Write files and return to main menu.'.
Choose 'Quit Exit this utility'.

Exit the terminal window, type:

$ exit

Source:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Dialu ... etUpDialer

Regards Wolfman