This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] French menu in Zorin

martin2012

Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:38:42 pm

Hello,

I just installed Zorin, it is really very good.

I would like a menu entirely in French, how do I do?

Thanks
Martin

Wolfman

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:13:50 am

Hi,

take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699

Let us know if it helps.

Regards Wolfman:D

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:25:00 pm

Bienvenue sur Zorin ! Je pense que la question est le fait que le menu faisait partie de ce qui est maintenant un projet « mort » - et éventuelle absence d'une traduction française. Beaucoup de projets dans le monde GNU/Linux dépendent de bénévoles afin d'offrir des entrées de la traduction. J'espère qu'il ne sera pas gâcher votre plaisir de Zorin !

[English: Welcome to Zorin! I think the issue is down to the fact that the menu was part of what is now a 'dead' project - and possible lack of a French translation. A lot of projects in the GNU/Linux world are dependent upon volunteers to offer translation inputs. I hope it will not spoil your enjoyment of Zorin!]

martin2012

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:15:25 am

I have not succeeded in changing English part of the main menu. But this is not a big problem. Everything else works very well.

Thank you!

Wolfman

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:44:39 am

Hi Martin,

try this bit of the guide link I posted earlier:

Reset Ubuntu Locales Manually:

Make sure that you have installed your desired country locale files before you start doing the following!.

To manually reset your system locale should the above not have worked for you, you need to make yourself "root", open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + t and enter the following command:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

Enter your password and navigate through your home folder: Computer (or File System) > Etc > Default > Locale

You will now have a file that looks like this, I will be using German for my example, you need to replace the appropriate lines (Lang & Language) with your desired country locale!.

LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="en_GB:en"

LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"

In my example, you need to change the top two lines to look like this, edit/replace "en_EN" with "de_DE":

LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="de_DE:de"

LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"

(All the lines beginning with "LC" are still set to en_GB, which is what I want, you would need to make sure that all yours are set to "de_DE" as per my example language!.)

Once you have made your changes, click on "File" > "Save" close Gedit and restart your PC, your system should restart in the desired language and you will be asked to change the folder names which you should do!.

Regards Wolfman :D

martin2012

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:32:25 am

O.k. Tanks!

I have my french menu.

Martin

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:37:23 pm

Another 60 blue jewels to Wolfman! :D

jayfkay

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:54:21 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Bienvenue sur Zorin ! Je pense que la question est le fait que le menu faisait partie de ce qui est maintenant un projet « mort » - et éventuelle absence d'une traduction française. Beaucoup de projets dans le monde GNU/Linux dépendent de bénévoles afin d'offrir des entrées de la traduction. J'espère qu'il ne sera pas gâcher votre plaisir de Zorin !

[English: Welcome to Zorin! I think the issue is down to the fact that the menu was part of what is now a 'dead' project - and possible lack of a French translation. A lot of projects in the GNU/Linux world are dependent upon volunteers to offer translation inputs. I hope it will not spoil your enjoyment of Zorin!]

Hello! I'd like to have a generally usable translation of Zorin.

For that i need to locate where exactly some translations are handled.
Example:
"Moving files" dialog window is translated WRONG.
I searched for it under ubuntu translations (im lost here, too much), under lxde pcmanfm i found nothing, lubuntu doesnt have launchpad or pootle for translations...

I just need a way to track back miss-translations that i find in Zorin, so that i can fix them. (how/where from Zorin gets translations)

I'm using Zorin 9 lite.

Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:25:40 pm

jayfkay wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Bienvenue sur Zorin ! Je pense que la question est le fait que le menu faisait partie de ce qui est maintenant un projet « mort » - et éventuelle absence d'une traduction française. Beaucoup de projets dans le monde GNU/Linux dépendent de bénévoles afin d'offrir des entrées de la traduction. J'espère qu'il ne sera pas gâcher votre plaisir de Zorin !

Hello! I'd like to have a generally usable translation of Zorin.

For that i need to locate where exactly some translations are handled.
Example:
"Moving files" dialog window is translated WRONG.
I searched for it under ubuntu translations (im lost here, too much), under lxde pcmanfm i found nothing, lubuntu doesnt have launchpad or pootle for translations...

I just need a way to track back miss-translations that i find in Zorin, so that i can fix them. (how/where from Zorin gets translations)

I'm using Zorin 9 lite.

Thank you.

Please start a new thread - in this section - as the OP issue is different to the one you are posting about - I will then delete this and your post. Thanks.

See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7393