This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Wine / WYSIWYG Web Builder

adrian5750

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:58:37 pm

Hi
Complete linux novice here - have Zorin installed and running - now trying to set up a windows-based program called WYSIWYG Web Builder. Largely a process of trial and error <g> - but I now have the software installed, and sort of running.
However, I'm clearly missing something in the 'pseudo-windows' environment - as drawing a text box in WYSIWYG doesn't work - rather than a box, it's more like a line that gets created, and the 'handles' can't be dragged to make the very thin box into a line. I tried installing corefonts via winetricks - but that didn't fix it...

Any suggestions, please ?
Thanks (and apologies for being so clueless!)
Adrian

Wolfman

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:58:09 am

Hi Adrian,

try installing the complete Mono package which is the "Net Framework" package of Linux, open a terminal and paste this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

Let us know if it helps.

Regards Wolfman:D

adrian5750

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:59:33 pm

HI Wolfman
Many thanks for the suggestion.
Doesn't seem to have made any difference..... so I don't know what I've done wrong ?
Drawing a text-box in wysiwyg still only creates a box with a vertical size of 1 pixel - which you can't stretch vertically. The software allows 'manual' entry of dimensions for a text box, but, whatever you enter for the height, it stubbornly remains at 1 pixel...
Have tried with WYSIWYG8 and WYSIWYG9 - same result with both...

I get the feeling that there's some vital part of the jigsaw missing.....

Thanks
Adrian

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:16:36 pm

Hi adrian5750, it could be that WYSIWYG web builder might need some .dll files manually adding to the .winecfg settings folder.

If you still have a windows machine handy this might help:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Keep us posted! ;)

[Footnote: If you attempt to install Office 2007 you have to add 'riched20.dll' to ensure PowerPoint runs corrrectly - I will have to boot into Zorin to post a screenshot of what I mean (In Windows 7 at moment!) There are other bits as well - native first then Windows and vice versa settings that may have to be 'tweaked'.]

adrian5750

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:18:55 pm

Hi Wolfman.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Originally in Crossover I was unable to get wysiwyg to install. A user on the crossover forum reckoned that they had success with the install under crossover by auto-installing e-sword (which crossover knows how to install) - then uninstalling e-sword but installing wysiwyg into the same bottle.
So - I tried this plan - but it gives exactly the same symptoms - can't get a text box to open up larger than 1 pixel tall.
I don't know what distro the user on the crossover forum was using - whether it was Zorin or not...?

I did look at 'dependencywalker' (I'm trying to get Zorin / wysiwyg running on a laptop - but have winxp on the laptop as well as on my main desktop pc) - but I must admit it was all rather involved... and I wasn't sure what I should be doing with the information..

Thanks
Adrian

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:00:55 pm

Hi again, I appreciate what you are saying - wine used .dll's and that app is supposed to say what the .exe's rely on - I thought that if it gave the .dll's you could add them - as wine comes with them - you just have to add the appropriate ones:

03.png

Then edit accordingly:

02.jpg

adrian5750

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:46:44 pm

HI
I've been trying various things here - but without any great success.
Spoke to the 'CrossOver' people - seems that their program's not a great help in this instance as it doesn't 'know' what WYSIWYGWebBuilder requires to operate....

So - went back to Wine / PlayonLinux.

Still stuck on getting WYSIWYG to create a text box that's bigger than 1 pixel tall....there's a thread here www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/forum/viewtop ... 5&start=15
that discusses the use of WYSIWYG under linux, and another user reports the same problem.

Looking at dependencywalker - I see that some of the dll's that wine reports as being installed are mentioned..

currently wine is showing gdiplus, mfc42, mfc4u, mscoree and riched as 'overrides'

but dependencywalker shows quite a lot more dll's (from the top-level of the tree)
kernel32, version, wininet, riched20, mfc42u, msvcrt, user32, gdi32, comdlg32, advapi32, shell32, comctl32, ole32 & olepro32

Now I'm guessing that some of these are provided by wine ? Correct ??

I'm still very much in the dark about all of this - and would welcome any suggestions.
It'd be great to migrate away from Windows completely - but I need to be able to run WYSIWYG under Zorin Linux to make this a reality.

Thanks
Adrian

Wolfman

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:33:04 am

Hi Adrian,

I honestly have no idea as I don't use such software, look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1332995

(There are a few links for you!)

Have you also looked here?:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=25677

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:48:33 pm

Hi Adrian,

Those screenshots I posted include .dll's that come with Wine - I have not checked the entire list but if you do that drop-down like I have shown in the first screenshot you should be able to scroll-down and check if all those .dll's are present. Keep us posted! :D