This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] firefox install problems

ogborne

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:20:49 am

I am very new to linux, but zorin 7.1 seems very easy to use and I like it very much. Everything seems to work very well except for one glich. I have been using chrome for web browsing and I like it, but I am a long time user of firefox in windows. I have tried to install firefox using zorin web browser and it seems to install, but when I open firefox and type in the search bar and then click on the search button nothing happens. I can type in a web address and it will connect to the website, but the search function doesn't seem to work. I have uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it, but I still get the same results. I think zorin 7.1 is installed properly, because everything seems to work. I have downloaded software from the software center and that worked. Is there another way to install firefox in zorin 7.1? This is not a major problem as I can use chrome for browsing. Now that I have nautilus, I am almost ready to switch completely from xp. Thanks so much for such a great distro.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:52:10 am

Hi,

open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command, enter your password and restart your PC afterwards:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

It may just be a case of missing dependencies!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:13:22 pm

If after following Wolfman's advice and you are still having issues, go to the official 'mozilla' download for the correct version (country/language) and search for a '.deb' file - Don't have 7.1 installed but 7 (as well as 6.0! ):

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

choose the language and Penguin icon of your choice to download a .tar.bz file.

Next, open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

Then cd (change directory) to where you downloaded 'firefox-25.0.tar.bz' and enter in the terminal:

Code:
sudo alien firefox-25.0.tar.bz

this will create a '.deb' package - you can use the software centre(/er) to install or if not already installed, use 'Gdebi Package Installer' - to install this, within the terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Then you can go to the download location using nautilus explorer, right-click the created .deb package and select 'Open with ...' gdebi.

ogborne

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:33:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. Wolfman's suggestion did not work. I am trying the Swarfendor 437 suggestion, but being very new to linux I got stuck. After the terminal command to install alien, I got a long verbage that some packages are no longer required, a suggestion of other packages. At the end of this verbage I was given a choice of yes/no. I selected yes and many items were processed. Firefox-25.0.tar.bz was down loaded in my downloads directory. This is where I got stuck. I opened the downloads directory and then opened the terminal window I tried cd /home/downloads but that command was not recognized. How do I get the terminal to recognize the directory that Firefox is downloaded in? I sorry for such an elementary question. Thanks for any advice.

Auldyin

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:53:26 pm

Hi
Try Home/"your name"/downloads
The name you used when you installed Zorin.

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:04:54 pm

To get to the 'Downloads' folder (notice capital 'D' - you have to navigate to it like this:

45.png

When you open a terminal you are already in your '/home' folder i.e., /home/user (name)/

Once you have 'cd'd to 'Downloads' then you enter:

[code]sudo alien 'firefox-25.0.tar.bz' - just remembered - this might not work - unzip the .tar.bz that you download, using Archive Manager - extract all the files into the same Downloads location - should create a new folder, then, open the files, select them all then 'compress' and save as 'firefox-25.0.tar.gz' - then use alien on the newly created '.tar.gz' to create 'firefox-25.0.deb'

Keep us posted! :D

ogborne

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:33:45 am

Thanks to Auldyin and Swarfendor 437. Well I got into Downloads, made the deb package, looked in sofware center under internet and found firefox, but it said it was already installed so I assumed it was the fire fox that was not working. I then installed gdebi and right clicked the deb package and opened with gdebi. gdebi started to install firefox, but stopped an gave the message "Error: a later version is already installed." Perhaps I should have uninstalled the non working firefox before I installed the deb package. Thanks again for both of your replies. Just a curious question. Are you both from Ireland?

Auldyin

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:50:56 am

Hi ogborne

I'm Scottish born and bred but with some Irish ancestry

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

msrmf

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15:40 pm

You should give Opera a try, FF was giving me some weird things with Linux.

ogborne

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:24:27 am

Thanks msrmf,

I just used Opera yesterday and it worked fine. It has a print preview feature, which is convenient to me. I had been using Chrome and like it well, but no print preview feature.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:13:59 am

Hi,

did you try updating per my suggestion earlier?.

Or can we mark this as solved?.

Regards Wolfman :D

ogborne

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:31:10 am

I have not completely fix my problem, however I consider it solved. I still can not use the search panel in the center of firefox just below the firefox logo, but I can use the google search panel in the upper right hand corner. This works and allows me to do the search function. I certainly appreciate all the posts concerning my problem. I consider this forum the best for help. I promise I will search for answers before I post. Again thanks for your input. I can't help but notice that many of you are from Europe. This forum must be world wide. As for me, I live in Phoenix, Arizona USA. I am so new to Zorin that I doubt I can be of any help, but I'll sure try.

gamelover85

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:52:47 pm

I have this problem too but none of the suggestions worked for me. Can someone help me too?

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:49:02 am

gamelover85 wrote:I have this problem too but none of the suggestions worked for me. Can someone help me too?

Hi,

did you do the upates as per the earlier suggestions and have you tried Opera browser too?:

http://www.opera.com/computer/linux

Download then right click and open with Gdebi!. :D

Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command for updating:

Code:

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

gamelover85

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:18:27 am

Wolfman wrote:
gamelover85 wrote:I have this problem too but none of the suggestions worked for me. Can someone help me too?

Hi,

did you do the upates as per the earlier suggestions and have you tried Opera browser too?:

http://www.opera.com/computer/linux

Download then right click and open with Gdebi!. :D

Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command for updating:

Code:

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Yeah sorry after I posted this, I noticed I overlooked something. What the creator of this post said was he couldn't use the firefox start page to search. That's what I was still dealing with. So i followed his instruction and just set my default home page to google. And for the most part its fine. Its just for some reason on linux the firefox start page doesn't want to work. Everything else in firefox works though so thanks anyways.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:32:02 am

Hi GL,

do you have the correct name set for your homepage?.

Firefox > Edit > Preferences > General > Homepage:
Firefox Preferences_015.jpg

gamelover85

Fri May 02, 2014 11:41:24 pm

My bad wrong post... :cry: