This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Can't install Zorin 7 Core Edition

doylez

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52:01 pm

I can't seem to install anything "linux" on my old Dell 2350 XP-home pc. I have a Zorin 7 core
disc and I never get the screens that shows the install options such as "other". Also I do not get a
partition manager screen that shows any hard-drive info. Also, nothing is click-able except "quit" "back"
and "continue". I even dug out my old "ubuntu 9.1 live cd" (which used to be installed on this computer)
and it does exactly the same thing.
Gparted has no problem with the hard-drive. It shows everything and it will manipulate any part of it.
I have tried these installs with one full size partition and with the three linux partitions, and the result
is always the same. Hard-drive is a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60Gig. When ubuntu was on the computer
the HDD was a 40Gig WD? Can't see what difference that would make unless I have some cmos setting
wrong for linux. This setup has been working well for 5 or 6 years with the Seagate.
I have not tried completely wiping the drive, ie wiping XP and everything else but I can do this if you
think it may work. I have a full disc image backup and even a clone on another 60 Gig Seagate disc.
I don't think it will work but, I will try it if I have to.
Thanks

Wolfman

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:28:22 am

Hi,

if you can see the boot menu when starting from the disk; you can try the following, as soon as you see the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset" (you can also try "acpi=off" if nomodeset doesn't work for you) then press enter and see if it boots, there is also and option to boot in safe mode, you should try that also.

Other commands:

nolapic

edd=on

nodmraid

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

doylez

Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:12:52 pm

Thanks Wolfman, I have tried safe mode but haven't tried the others yet.

doylez

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42:07 pm

Tried "nomodeset", Welcome Screen came up, picked language then "Continue"
Preparing to install Zorin screen came up, hit "Continue" then "Installation Type"
screen came up but still showed nothing. Even tho there was nothing to change
to, I clicked "Change" because it appeared to be the only thing click-able other
than "Quit", 'Back", and "Install now" and I knew from past tries that wouldn't
work. Then "Backup Now" screen came up, I hit "No" then "Sorry Zorin 7 Has
Experienced an Internal Error" and at this point I shut down to try the "acpi=off"
command you had told me to try.
Tried with "acpi=off" command and got the same results as everytime before
except it showed "Something else" at the top of the screen this time. There was
still nothing under the "Device for boot loader installation" except /dev/sda
which is always there. Next screen was "No root file system is defined" which
has always come up when I hit the "Install Now" button.

Tried my old ubuntu disc again. Steps 1,2,and3, ok. Step 4 "Prepare Partitions"
is blank . Next is the "No root file system" popup.

Wolfman

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:39:29 am

Hi,

have you checked your partition layout?, it sounds like your HD drive might be in need of a formatting or two!. Try using a partition tool to see what exactly you have in terms of partitions and pre create your partitions then try starting the Zorin disk again and select the "Something Else" option and use exisiting parts you created!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Hope it helps.

doylez

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:45:54 am

I reformatted the entire hard drive with NTFS, then ext2, then ext4, then
tried setting up boot, swap, root, and home partitions again and a few of
the different file systems, and after each change tried the discs several
times to no joy. Tried setting the bios back to factory default settings and
on each of the partition changes, still will not show the hard drive when
in install mode.
I ran my old knoppix 5.3.1 disc that I use for trouble shooting and it says
that there is nothing wrong with the HDD.
I am going to see if I can reinstall XP tomorrow. I would almost bet that
it won't install. we will see...
Thanks Wolfman, this is giving me a headache and I'm probably giving it
to you.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:34:16 am

Hi,

you do have only the one HDD don't you?, some PC's have two and you might be overlooking that, when you run Gparted, there is a dropdown menu in the top right corner which if you clicked on it; would show you the other drives.
-dev-sda - GParted_004.jpg

If you only want Linux on there, at the installer prompt where it asks where you want to install, select "Use entire disk" and try that method, have you tried to start the installer directly from the menu?.

Let us know how you get on.

doylez

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:22:47 pm

zorin101 (1).jpg
It has only one HDD but it did have two. There was a 60Gig master and a 60Gig slave. I cloned the master on the slave (wasn't anything on it) and completely removed it from the computer.
To see if anything would install on this comp, I did a reinstall of windows XP and it went without a hitch.
I would think the Zorin disc was bad but ubuntu will not reinstall.
Thanks for putting up with a codger in his 70s. I used to think I knew a little something about computers.
Thanks again

Wolfman

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:54:18 am

Hi,

if you took out the original master drive on the PC, it might be that the jumper on the drive is still set to "Slave" and that is why you are having a problem, see this link about changing jumpers on IDE drives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUX9X8t23Y

and:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... drive.html

(Not infering you are a dummy btw! :D )

index.jpeg
index.jpeg (7.75 KiB)

You also need to make sure that the IDE cable is in the IDE 1 slot on the motherboard!.

NEVER SELECT "CS" (CABLE SELECT), BUT ALWAYS "MASTER" OR "SLAVE".

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:38:11 pm

I noticed one glaring issue on the last screenshot - 'no root' defined - when you use gparted you should also see an option to 'mark as type' or something similar, and from the dropdown, select '/' - this tells the bootloader where to boot from! home should be /home!

doylez

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:33:37 pm

Thanks guys, The master drive is the one that is still in there. Don't know about the cables...will check.
I have actually set it up with the foward slashes and it still nothing shows up on that screen. I have not been able to mark anything on that screen.
Guys, What I can't figure out is, why will windows install on the completely formatted for linux drive, but Zorin or ubuntu won't install no matter how it is formatted?
I have tried it as one big NTFS and many other configs to no avail.
I will go into the tower again and see what I can find!
I am tired of seeing that "no root defined" popup. I have tried maybe 25 to 30 installs and everytime the
results are identical. I really don't understand how Windows installed again?
Thanks Guys

Wolfman

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:46:17 pm

doylez

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:36:11 pm

I studied your excellent tutorials again tho I had studied them and others while I was waiting on the dvd to arrive.

Only have one HDD and it is jumpered for Master or Single unit.
Cables are in correct sockets.

Do you think my KVM switch may be causing some trouble?
I have a KVM switch between this old computer and my newer Win7
computer. Remember XP went back on it and XP re-partitioned it
because I had no NTFS partition on the HDD. I had set it up for Zorin.

I get the WELCOME screen, I get the PREPARING to install ZORIN screen,
then it jumps past the next 3 screens to a blank INSTALLATION TYPE
screen with nothing clickable but QUIT, BACK, and INSTALL NOW.

I can take pics of each step as I try another install if you would like me to.
Thanks to you Guys again

Wolfman

Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:24:54 am

Hi,

I would try downloading a Zorin Lite version as it may be a case that Zorin 7 is too heavy for your old Dell PC?. If you can install XP, you should be able to boot the Lite version and once booted; open Gparted and check your partitions agian and create a root (" / ") and a home (" /home ") with the highlighted mount points when using the installer, you need to create a swap partition (swap has no mount point) which shouldn't be more than double your RAM!.

That said, if you can boot the Zorin 7 normal version, it should somehow work, why your partitions aren't showing is a bit of a mystery, another option is to boot Zorin 7 and then run Gparted from the live CD and see if your partitions show up!.

Try that and let us know how you get on.

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Howto ... ningBasics

And download link:

http://zorin-os.com/free7.html

doylez

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:29:29 pm

pic5.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic1.jpg

Wofman said "try running Gparted from the live cd"

That is how I have been running Gparted. Ubuntu does the same thing when I try to install it and it used to be installed on this very computer.

Wolfman, Swarfendor, I'm going to quit taking up all your time.
I'm sorry Guys for having this weird problem and I will not bother you further after this series.
Win or lose....I'm quitting.

Thanks

Wolfman

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:19:32 am

Hi doylez,

I honestly don't know what else to suggest apart from resetting your BIOS to default!.

As for taking up our time, that is why we are here; to help you and others, I don't give in so easily!. :D Chin up and soldier on!. :D

Have you tried starting the PC and when you see the Zorin menu, pres "TAB" and type in "nomodeset" and then press enter and see if that helps!.

Do you have another IDE HDD to try out?.

doylez

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:16:00 am

Yes Wolfman, I set the bios to default a few posts back and I have tried all 5 commands that you gave me.
In fact every time I make a change to anything in the computer, I try 6 installs, first with no commands and
then a try for each of the commands. The only command that makes any change is the acpi=off command.
The acpi=off command will (sometimes) give a window that is still unpopulated but instead of showing
"installation type" in the upper left corner, it will show "other".
The computer is old, but it has a 2Gig cpu and 1Gig of ram so I think it should handle the install???
Something as crazy as...weak battery? It has never been changed out??
When ubuntu was on it, it did have a different HDD, so you may be on to something. I'm game to try anything. I have 2 more HDD but they are exactly like the one that is in it. All 60Gig seagates.
Thanks Wolfman

Wolfman

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:09:53 am

Hi,

it may be that the drive is simply not up to it for Linux, Windows for all its faults will still install on a more or less dead drive!, try the other HDD drives even if they are the same model!.

Another tip is to format the first 5 - 10 GB's of the first partition to nothing, simply create a 5 - 10 GB partition and leave it unformatted and then create your Linux partitions to the right of the empty space if you understand what I mean!. You will lose 5 - 10 GB's of diskspace but it normally works if the first part of the drive is damaged!.

doylez

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:13:33 pm

Thanks wolfman, I will try that format tip.
I will let you know how that turns out!
Thanks

Wolfman

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:12:06 am

Hi doylez,

where did you get the DVD from?, if you burnt it yourself, did you follow this advice:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

If the disk wasn't burnt at a slow speed, it could be that the disk is corrupted!, is the DVD drive okay,?, has it been cleaned using a disk drive cleaning tool or by cleaning the lens?.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaiTJYHQCCg

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:50:23 pm

doylez wrote:
pic5.jpg
You are not permitted to mount any partition (or drive) during install!
pic4.jpg
If it is unpopulated it suggests that your hard drive has had everything deleted but not formatted! ;-)
pic3.jpg
See my answer on the previous pic! ;-)
pic2.jpg
As per previous picture! ;-)
pic1.jpg

Ditto above! ;-)

Wolfman said "try running Gparted from the live cd"

That is how I have been running Gparted. Ubuntu does the same thing when I try to install it and it used to be installed on this very computer.

Wolfman, Swarfendor, I'm going to quit taking up all your time.
I'm sorry Guys for having this weird problem and I will not bother you further after this series.
Win or lose....I'm quitting.

Thanks

I am guessing the mbr could be corrupt - another point to look at if you want to be rid of everything is to write a new partition table - but because I am not sure the state of your mbr I would not risk it - I would download any or all of the following utility CD's

Sys Rescue CD
Ultimate Boot CD
Hiren's Boot CD

and look for the mbr utilities!

PS I thought my quote would add your original pics - can't solve that problem! :D

doylez

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:44:44 pm

I got the dvd from EBay.
I tried the format tip you gave me and it didn't make any change in the installation problem.
Thanks Wolfman

Wolfman

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:50:41 pm

doylez wrote:I got the dvd from EBay.
I tried the format tip you gave me and it didn't make any change in the installation problem.
Thanks Wolfman

Hi,

if you got the DVD from eBay; the chances are that it is a bad burn. Only download direct from Zorin, the seller on EBay is most likely not authorised to sell Zorin CD's!!.

Download from here:

http://zorin-os.com/free.html

and burn the disk at the slowest possible speed as advised before!.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:29:15 pm

Ditto what Wolfman has reported - always useful to know ALL the facts at point of posting! :D

doylez

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:26:36 pm

100_2378.JPG
Thanks Guys, I will burn my own DVD and give that a try.

Wolfman, I got the DVD from "Maxweis1". He has a very good track record with buyers.
I'll bet he is authorized but I will burn a DVD.

Wolfman

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:07:05 am

Hi doylez,

he may well be a good seller but as far as I know, the Zorin Brothers sell their own software either by download or hard disk through the post, if the seller burnt the disk too fast, this would explain a lot; hence my post about burning at the slowest possible speed!.

If once you have created your own disk and it works, demand a refund telling the seller that it is faulty possibly due to fast burning which produced read/write errors!.

Good luck. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

doylez

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:38:14 am

Ok...I downloaded Zorin 7 Lite. Burned and ran the DVD. I had all the screens that I should have and all the
options. I chose to wipe out XP and install Zorin. It looked like it installed perfectly and then said to remove the
DVD and restart the computer. When I restarted the computer I got a : ERROR : attempt to read or write outside
of disk 'hd0' . grub rescue>_
I have no idea what to type in.
Thanks

Wolfman

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:28:25 am

Hi doylez,

start the Zorin live CD and once booted, open a terminal and type or copy and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo update-grub

This will repair the grub menu, restart once done and it should have fixed the problem.

Another suggestion is to download and create a bootable repair disk from "Boot repair":

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

Boot the Cd and use the disk to repair grub that way.

doylez

Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:05:58 am

I am in business Wolfman!! Thanks very much!
Now do I un-register, or in other words how do I show this series of posts to be complete?
Thanks again Wolfman and you too Swarfendor.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:52:34 am

Hi doylez,

well done mate, great to hear!. :D

To mark as solved you should edit the subject line of the first post in the thread but I will do that for you!.

Lesson to learnt here, don't buy 3rd party burns of Linux ISO's from eBay!. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

smithma364

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:06:04 am

What am I supposed to do or type in after I get verifying DMI pool data............
Error:attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'.
Entering rescue mode...
Grub rescue>

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:11:26 pm

smithma364 wrote:What am I supposed to do or type in after I get verifying DMI pool data............
Error:attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'.
Entering rescue mode...
Grub rescue>

You should no longer be attempting to install Zorin 7 as it reached end of life a couple of years ago - you should only be considering Zorin OS 9 Core or Zorin OS 9 Lite - anything prior to Zorin 9 will certainly have major security flaws:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267

In future can you start a new thread? When I have time I will start Locking/removing outdated threads, including this one! ;) :D