This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Install Problems for prgrm frmrly available In SC

kc5poo

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:39:14 pm

Before I installed Zorin OS 7 on my system, I had Zorin OS 6 on my computer. There was an application that was available through Software Center which I could download, called Biblememorizer. This application no longer seems to be available through the Software Center although the program is still out there to be had. It is in tar.gz format. Furthermore, when it is extracted, there are instructions for installing it in the file it creates, but they are totally mystefying to me. I'll post what I mean by this down below. I will say this.... I tried using ALIEN to convert it to a .DEB file. It said it installed, but It did not give me an icon in Zorn Menu, so I don't know how to access the program, or even if it will run correctly. The instructions contained in the extracted file are as follows:

Unix (Including Mac OS X - but see notes below)
===============================================

Although BibleMemorizer does not use the automake/autoconfigure system that
most packages use, you may use it in a very similar manner. The provided
./configure script sets the appropriate options in qmake_vars and runs QMake
for you. If you have more than one version of Qt installed, make sure that
"qmake -v" returns the appropriate version. If not, set your PATH variable so
that the appropriate qmake executable is run.

./configure now has quite a few options for you to configure. You can type
"./configure --help" to get a list of options and what they do. Do note that
Sword options are now set automatically on systems with a properly configured
pkg-config installation, but can still be set manually for other systems.

After running ./configure, run "make" and then (as root) "make install" to
install BibleMemorizer.

I don't understand what it is talking about with regard to "./configure" or what I'm supposed to do with these instruction. One might say I'm the extreme novice when it comes to installing through terminal. Can anyone please help me?

Wolfman

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:22:49 am

Hi,

go here and download the appropriate package and install with "gdebi":

64 Bit:

http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/ubuntu-uni ... 4.deb.html

32 Bit:

http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-12.04/ubuntu-uni ... 6.deb.html

This may or may not work on Zorin 7!.

Regards Wolfman :D

kc5poo

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:59:41 am

Hey Wolfman,

Tried your suggestion, but Software Center (don't know if I have gdebit) give me an error message about lacking dependencies. Tried chasing after the dependencies that the website says are required and that led me on a wild goose chase. Hmmm. Any thoughts?

Wolfman

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:15:59 am

Hi,

right click the downloaded package > Open With > Gdebi and try using that, Ubuntu Software Center isn't the best in my opinion!.

Make a note of missing dependencies if any and go here to find them if you can:

http://pkgs.org/

(Only select Ubuntu or Debian operating system packages (.deb packages; not RPM or TAR!) from the above link!)

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman:D

kc5poo

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:43:21 am

Wolfman,

YOU ARE A GOD SEND! Your suggestions worked. I installed Gdebi. Checked out what the missing dependency was, downloaded and installed it. Then tried installing Biblememorizer and It WORKED! THANK YOU!!!

As Always, I appreciate you and Swarf, so much you guys have been such a blessing to me in helping me with my issue. May the LORD BLESS you both, and my HIS love, HIS light, and HIS mercy follow you all the days of your lives.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:36:09 am

Hi Mark,

nice one matey :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Glad to be of help.

Regards Wolfman :D