This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Devede stopped working yesterday

gungadinn

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:13:59 am

For years now I've been using Devede to make ISO images of video files with menus that can be burned to DVD and played in any DVD player. In Zorin OS 6.2, I created an ISO on Saturday. When I went to make another one on Sunday, as it gets to the end of the process of converting the video files and is creating the DVD Tree, it fails. I'm using Devede 3.23.1, the latest version. I applied some updates yesterday, that's the only thing I can think of that's changed since when Devede worked the day before.
I've found different things people did to fix this on-line, like changing the encoder for videos from ffmpeg to mencoder, and the encoder for menus from ffmpeg to mencoder and back again, about 7 times now, and still nothing works! I don't understand what happened.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Wolfman

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:42:12 am

Hi,

try running this terminal command to force an update and then restart:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Let us know if that helps.

Regards Wolfman:D

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:51:47 pm

Have you checked your drive to make sure there is plenty of space left? Also madvinegar reported on some files that fill up the /home folder after doing something - they are 0 bytes but fill up the /home folder nonetheless. Will get back to you later.

gungadinn

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:15:20 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have you checked your drive to make sure there is plenty of space left? Also madvinegar reported on some files that fill up the /home folder after doing something - they are 0 bytes but fill up the /home folder nonetheless. Will get back to you later.

There's 178 GB of space left on the root partition, so I can't believe that's the problem. I'll try doing what Wolfman suggested. Thanks.

gungadinn

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:04:39 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

try running this terminal command to force an update and then restart:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Let us know if that helps.

Did the above and same problem. It converts the video files for about an hour and a half, then when it gets to the create dvd tree part it aborts.
I wish I knew what that update I ran on Sunday morning changed, because Devede worked great before that.

Wolfman

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:20:51 pm

Hi,

try booting into an earlier kernel, that might be the reason?. Try doing something after booting.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:04:23 pm

Also just another thought, try booting into the second option of Zorin GRUB and from the list that appears, try running 'fsck' - this is the GNU/Linux equivalent of 'chkdsk' in Windows.

gungadinn

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:47:38 am

Sorry it took so long to get back!
I decided to try DVD Styler, and it works great. It has a lot more features than Devede, but even creating basic episode menus, which is what I will mostly use it for, is very nice.
Thanks for the advice.

Wolfman

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:02:46 am

Hi,

I will mark this as solved even though it didn't fix your original problem.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:35:34 pm

Hi Wolfman, I have been cheeky and marked as [RESOLVED] think this reflects the situation better as [SOLVED] might give wrong impression to other visitors - suggest this be the way other issues that get sorted are dealt with - but happy to be corrected! :D