This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] no sound

ogborne

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:33:40 pm

I don't use the sound feature much but, I do need it for you tube. I read Zorin 6&7 Install Guide by Wolfman. Under sound he said to install "paman". I did so and got sound, but it is very low sound. I turned the paman controls to max and set the speaker volumn to max. The sound was ok, but in xp I never have to turn the volumn up over half way. My sound comes from an intregated chip Realtek ALC 887. I did a search in Ubuntu since I could not find more information in Zorin. Below is a copy of the information given by Ubuntu. I am unsure as what to do at this point. What is your opinion? Thanks
THIS IS THE POST BELOW

I got a new computer at work, installed Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat and the sound didn't work. The fix was actually quite simple so I thought I'd share it with you in case you have a similar issue.

The computer has an HDA Intel chip (Realtek ALC887) and I couldn't open alsamixer (this error was displayed: "load hw:0 error: Invalid argument"), although the sound seemed to be working in various applications (no error there) except I couldn't hear anything.

The fix:

Edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf as root:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

And add the following line at the end of the file:

options snd-hda-intel model=generic

Save, reboot (a logout might be enough too) and try to play some audio file - the sound should work. If this generic fix doesn't work for you, try "auto" instead or see THIS post.

Update: this solution continues to work with newer Ubuntu versions, tested with te same sound card under Ubuntu 11.10, 12.04 and 12.10 (yes, I still get no sound by default in Ubuntu unless I apply this fix).

Wolfman

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:32:52 am

Hi,

did you read this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Do you have a front and back soundcard?.

Have you played with the various settings in PAMAN?.

Have you done a full system update per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

ogborne

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:22:38 pm

I have done a full system update and upgrade. I have installed both "faac & paman" I have set the volume control on paman output to max or 153% under all output devices. Under input devices, I do not show a microphone, the message reads "no devices available." I am not sure what you mean by "front and back sound cards" My sound is part of the motherboard. It is called Realtek ALC 887. I have xp installed on a different partition and when I use xp the sound is better. I will use the Ubuntu trouble shooting guide. I'm not sure which version of Ubuntu Zorin uses. Does that make a difference? Thanks

msrmf

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:52:43 pm

Some have connections in back and also have mic and headphone connections on front.

ogborne

Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:57:45 pm

Thanks to Wolfman and Msrmf for their suggestions. Problem is solved. I went through the trouble shooting guide in ubuntu and check my sound drivers. They were installed. I almost downloaded and installed a new driver, but thought better of it becaause I didn't know the version of Ubuntu that zorin 7.1 uses. On a fluke I went into rhythmbox and sure enough the sound setting were very low. I raised them to max and now I have very good volume.

For my future reference would some one tell me what version of Ubuntu 7.1 uses? That would help me alot. Thanks again..

msrmf

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:12:45 am

Click on systems settings then under system click details, will tell you.

Wolfman

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:16:54 am

Hi,

Zorin 6 is based on Ubuntu 12.04 and Zorin 7 on Ubuntu 13.04.

Have marked as solved.

Regards Wolfman :D