This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] I have two swap partitions - does it matter?

ElectricRider

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:14:47 pm

I recently set up Mint, and Zorin to dual boot with Windows. I may just replace the Mint cus I like Zorin so much but I set up a swap file for each not thinking. Do the OS's know which swap partition to use? I cannot see how because you don't actually instruct the OS to use a particular swap partition. Is the second swap hurting me somehow or should I just remove it or is it needed at all?

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28:02 pm

Hi Electricrider, You could delete both (so long as they are side by side) and create one larger one - but it should not really matter as Zorin will find the one it needs from the install. Have you deleted Mint?

(Posted from AmigaSys 4, inside of Amiga Forever, on Windows 8.1 Preview - LOL!)

ElectricRider

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:56:07 pm

Thanks for the answer.

I'm about to delete Mint now.. Each swap area is 5 gigs so i'll just delete the one i made for Mint when i delete the partition. I figure 5 should be more than enough swap space.

Ya know i like Mint I really do but Zorin is just so much more comfortable in many windows type ways that make using the OS lots easier. Heck i use Vector Linux which is another animal altogether ( slackware) as well as PC-BSD 9.0 isotope. I play with these when I feel like being nerdy and learning something different but they cannot replace the streamlined experience i'm having with Zorin. Tried version 5 a couple of years ago and for some reason didn't stick with it. I can see using Zorin 7.1 for everyday use much easier than i can those. I'm even determined to get Battlefield 4 running on it LOL.

An Amiga fan LOL.. I guess you tried the Commodore OS too ! You make me feel not so old LOL I'll mark this as Solved.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:03:31 am

Hi ER,

one swap is enough even if you have more than one version of Linux installed!.

Here is a partition guide which might be of interest to you:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Howto ... ningBasics

Regards Wolfman :D