This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Multiple Issues Toshiba Satellite P870

Aethos

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:30:31 pm

Installed Zorin 64 bit Core

I'm having multible issues of which I cannot find a solution for, as all current solutions are for Unity or very Gnome specific.

The first Major Issue is that my touchpad will not work. It was detected for awhile in system settings, but then after trying to edit the settings for it, it lost detection and is now not detected at all. It would not work even when it was detected. I think this might be a bug.

The second issue is the F10 key binding.
I have tried the solutions presented on Ubuntu Forums, but none work, especially since many are Unity specific.
I wanted to get rid of the Key binding since F10 is what my computer was set for Volume Up.

Third Issue is Brightness.
It always starts off with a standard brightness set to max. I'm not sure if there is a way to change the default to a lower brightness.
I also couldn't figure out how to make brightness shortcuts.

And the last issue:
Keyboard Backlight; cannot turn it off or on.
Luckily, it was at least set to on before installation, so it stayed on.
However, I cannot turn it off in order to save battery when not needed.

I really love Zorin, it is my favorite Linux OS, and was my primary OS back when it was version 5. On that OS, everything worked perfectly; I could even control brightness through the keyboard shortcuts that came preset with my computer!
Granted, the graphical interface was buggier, but everything worked without flaw.
Now, it seems to be reversed.
The Interface is flawless and the OS snappy, but there are many minor things that do not work or do not work well, such as in this case the touchpad and keyboard shortcuts.

I really don't want to go back to Windows, but feel that I might have to at this rate...

Wolfman

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:28:33 am

Hi,

for brightness control > System Settings > Personal > Brightness & Lock.

For backlight problems, see this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Debugging/Backlight

which you might find an answer, I did look on "AskUbuntu" but couldn't find one!.

For key bindings, > System Settings > Hardware > Keyboard > Shortcuts and choose the appropriate settings yourself.

For your touchpad:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad

Don't make changes to cofig files if you don't fully understand exactly what you are doing.

Last but not least, you must make sure you fully update the system as soon as you have it installed, run the following force update command in a terminal and restart your PC:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

The above command will make sure that there are no missing dependencies!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Aethos

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:59:23 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

for brightness control > System Settings > Personal > Brightness & Lock.

For backlight problems, see this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Debugging/Backlight

which you might find an answer, I did look on "AskUbuntu" but couldn't find one!.

Fixed, but can't create hotkeys to control backlight, and still starts in max brightness.
Did find a useful little applet though that lets me lower the brightness even further.

For key bindings, > System Settings > Hardware > Keyboard > Shortcuts and choose the appropriate settings yourself.

There is no option there that lets me use F10 as a keybinding, since F10 always opens the menu.
F10 doesn't appear there either, so I ca'n't disable it.
That's the problem I'm having: I want to get rid of F10's default action but can't.

For your touchpad:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad

Don't make changes to cofig files if you don't fully understand exactly what you are doing.

Still working on this.
It still is strange though that the touchpad is recognized when the system starts, but as soon as I unplug my mouse and plug it back in, it disappears right in front of my eyes in the menu.

Last but not least, you must make sure you fully update the system as soon as you have it installed, run the following force update command in a terminal and restart your PC:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

The above command will make sure that there are no missing dependencies!.

Done, but nothing changed.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know if this helps.

Well, at least the backlight helped.
I was wondering, does Zorin Ultimate come with Unity?
Perhaps if I try Ultimate instead of Core it'll fix these problems?
When I used Zorin 5, it was Ultimate after all.
Also, How can I disable/enable my keyboard backlight?

Wolfman

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:40:36 pm

Hi,

are you using Zorin 6 or 7?.

The F10 key isn't assigned to anything in Zorin 7 that I can see?.

The Ultimate version does have Unity but only in reduced form as it uses "Docky" as the Unity panel!.

abdulmasood11

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:11:47 pm

aptop Wi Fi connection drops out on Win8.. but after installing win 7 laptop is compeletely fine.. also connecting issue little bit i found on p870 satellite