This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

RV770 on glxgears runs 60 FPS

VoidByte

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:40:49 am

Hello together,

i run a grafic chipset RV770 (HIS Radeon HD 4870 IceQ 4+ Turbo). On Windows i can Run games like Assasins Creed III, Arma 3 or Risen 2 on ultra high setting by getting 40-60 FPS.
In Zorin OS, im almost on 60 FPS when running glxgears. So.. i guess something went horribly wrong.

Was looking for several tutorials, some say fglrx is the way it is, others say create an xorg.conf and use "Driver: Radeon", and so on.. lots of different meanings, tried everything, and nothing of all helps.

So, if anyone have an idea, how i get my 3D Acceleration to work on a normal value, please help me.

Here is my actual xorg.conf file:

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
   Driver   "radeon"
   Option   "SWcursor"              "off"
   Option   "EnablePageFlip"        "on"
   Option   "AccelMethod"           "EXA"
   Option   "RenderAccel"           "on"
   Option   "ColorTiling"           "on"
   Option   "EXAVSync"              "off"
   Option   "EXAPixmaps"            "on"
   Option   "AccelDFS"              "on"
EndSection

and this is the fglrx output:

Code:
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.935 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.936 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.876 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.994 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.937 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.936 FPS

Wolfman

Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:23:05 pm

Hi,

don't mess with the config files, first try a full system update with the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

It may be a case of missing dependencies!.

Did you look for the AMD drivers in Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Addtional Drivers?

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:35:00 pm

VoidByte

Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:12:37 pm

Hey guys,

thank you for this.. help.
Update&upgrade also dist-upgrade is the first thing i do, each time i boot up linux. Each linux distribution.
And no, there is no third party driver. And i cant choose one. The list is empty.

I was happy to see this Ubuntu-Catalyst-Install Tool. But it ends up with this: http://misc.binary-soul.de/zorinOS7cata.png (not the link, the screenshot ^^)

And that problem with the AMD-Original driver is also known: "We cant find out what operating System you use" is what he say on Kali Linux, on Linux Mint, and now on Zorin OS.
Ubuntu itself and "ZevenOs Neptune 3" are the only Systems that support my chipset and have no problems with installing the correct driver. (Oh and Windows for sure, they suppport everything)

Any ideas what i can do? (excapt by going back to Ubuntu or just using Windows for Windows things)

Wolfman

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:52:53 am

Hi,

sorry my bad, the AMD drivers will only show in Synaptic for graphic cards higher than version 5xxxx +, either stick with the opensource drivers that came with the system or drop down to Zorin 6!, I have an ATI graphics card ver 4xxx and use the opensource drivers only but I don't play games on that PC/Notebook!.

You can try install the "FGLRX" package but it will most likely cripple your system!.

Regards Wolfman :D