This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ubuntu upgrade killed Zorin menus

dolson80301

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09:01 pm

I am testing Zorin for an XP replacement at my company. Monday an Ubuntu update came across and hung my test dual boot install on my personal laptop and my test PC. The only way out was to powercycle the machines and now I get the Zorin login in, background, home icon but not menus or way to do anything but explore with files 3.8.2. how do I redo the Ubuntu or fix the Zorin so I can move forward? or do I have to delete the install and start from scratch?

I have to cold boot because I have no command lines options or anything. At the login prompt I click the Zorin logo and get the choices Zorin (default) Zorin (no Effects)

Once logged in I have an icon for home and the reminta I was experimenting with and thats it. tried connecting to computer instead of home and search on tweaktools but got an error and clicked on report it. Should I try gnome and run any tools etc. from there? I have not bottom of the screen menus so I cant get to bash or anything. I can navagate via files to bin or usr bin etc. but dont know where bash or anything else is in linux

Wolfman

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:19:30 am

Hi,

log out and at the login window, click on the cogwheel and select "Zorin" from the list of desktop options, you can use Tweak Tool to change the icons and themes back to Zorin once you log back in.

Tweak Tool > Theme > GTK + Theme & Current Theme:
Tweak Tool_060.jpg

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:38:54 pm

Also make sure that 'Update to latest version of Ubuntu' is set to 'Never' in 'Update Settings'! :D

dolson80301

Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:56:47 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Also make sure that 'Update to latest version of Ubuntu' is set to 'Never' in 'Update Settings'! :D

Well.....
I can boot into gnome no effects and get some of my usability back the zorin lookchanger gives me no functioning win7 or xp, only gnome seems to give me tool bars back and now I'm getting ubuntu errors it looks like the upgrade partially upgraded so I have a mixed mode machine ubuntu with zorin packages installed but neither fully functioning, and I keep getting ubuntu errors. history shows flashplugin-installer (11.2.20.310ubuntu1,11.2.202.327 ubunto0.3.10.1) as the last install, So unless there is a good re-update or fix update command I can issue it looks like this machine is toast.

how do I find the tweak tool? I have even tried find / -name "tweak*" to no avail.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:42:41 am

Hi,

boot your PC and run this terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Then reboot and at the login window, select Zorin as described above in my previous post.

Let us know if it helps.

dolson80301

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:54:56 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

boot your PC and run this terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Then reboot and at the login window, select Zorin as described above in my previous post.

Let us know if it helps.

got in to the tweaker and put zorin in the places listed i.e. whiteglass, default zorin, zorin, zorin but after reboot and coming in with zorin I have no toolbars and since I have no menus top bottom or anyway to reboot zorin again I am totally helpless unless I cold boot and start up with gnome again.

PS I put in another request for an easy users guide to have an easy way to rebuild/reload/repair or remove Zorin when others have these problems. Not that you arent doing a great job, its just a request for an easy how to guild for beginners to get a feel for where to start.

Wolfman

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13:15 am

Hi,

boot into your empty desktop and press Ctrl + Alt + t to open a terminal and paste this command:

Code:
avant-window-navigator

This will start the panel for you, take a look at the post install guide and this section for how to configure the panel:

More info about the AWN (Avant Window Manger)

Let us know how you get on.