This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

thomson speedtouch 330 installation failed :(

jkajka

Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:46:57 pm

Hi! someone can help me?
I'm new linux user, i'm trying with zorin and it goes well!, the only thing that i tried many times to install without success is the stupid thomsom speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem. i've followed the instruction from:

http://steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/

but i couldn't installed it. i'm glad if some of you could help me with this usb modem and finally enjoy completely Zorin OS without come back windows software. i remember some weeks ago i downloaded an unknown (for me) version of Zorin OS, and when i started as live boot with a usb pendrive, i had success just putting and making the dsl connection in zorin desktop, but then i removed that version and tried with the last version installing it in my hard disk, but i couldn't install the speedtouch in this new version of Zorin :(

Thanks in advance for supporting me and really sorry for my English, i'm spanish.

Wolfman

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:49:27 am

Hi,

this is rather old but might work for you, I would point out that it is also intended for people living in the United Kingdom!:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UKSpeedtouchDSLHowTo

When you tried Zorin, you said you had it working on one version, did you chose to install the 3rd party software when you installed Zorin?, most likely the drivers are in that package, it might be easier for you to reinstall Zorin , you can reinstall Zorin without losing your home partition if you follow this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Sit tight and Madvinegar should be along to help you with further instructions for your problem so please wait and hold off of reinstalling, he may well be able to help you!.

Regards Wolfman :D

jkajka

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:38:56 am

i'm going to try that about third party software, i don't remember if i used that option. related with the first link, i also tried it but i'll make it again. thanks for helping me, i'll reply as soon as possible :D

Wolfman

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:32:58 pm

Hi,

sorry but I must tell you that the 3rd party software should auto install in Zorin and you won't see that option, I have been working on a remix of Ubuntu and it is only in Ubuntu and a couple of othe Ubuntu based systems that you will see that option!, that is why I didn't think about it enough at the time of writing!.

Hopefully MV will be able to help you, he is most likely busy with his family over the weekend so please be patient.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:17:47 pm

As I understand, you said that it worked out of the box when you were using a live USB and you just plugged in the usb modem, correct?
If that's so, it means that the drivers needed are already in the kernel, so even after installation you should not need to do anything else than just plugging the usb modem in your USB slot.

What version of Zorin are you trying now? Try with Zorin 6 (the stable one) and/or Zorin 7 (the latest one).
After installation run also a

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

to get all the necessary updates, reboot and try again to plug in the modem.

Also, was there a specific USB slot you tried the modem? Maybe it needs a USB2 and not a USB1 slot to work.

jkajka

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:48:26 pm

Hi all !
madvinegar: when the modem usb was ok, I just connected and made the connection in the internet options (beside the clock, i added new dsl connection, with user name and password), then I turned on this connection and the black box in the right-top corner appeared: "dsl connecion 1 is connected" (or something like that). I didn't remember what was the version of the zorin in that moment, but now i'm using zorin 7. i'll try with the stable zorin 6 OS and i'll use the two commands that you are advising me.

in relationship with the usb slot, always I use the same, included the blessed moment when the modem was active and went well.

i'm telling you the news, thanks again! =)