This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Desktop on Ubuntu 12.04 VPS?

mahjohn

Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:49:16 pm

Is there anyway to install Zorin/Core/Lite on an Ubuntu 64 VPS? I'm playing around with a VPS, but as i'm human, I prefer things in color with a GUI rather than command line....all the time. Is it possible to install a Zorin Desktop onto Ubuntu 12.04, then be able to "Stop X" (however this is done), when not in use to minimize use of system resources. I did install Lubuntu...only to realize that it is 32bit so didn't really work.

thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:53:01 pm

Hi mahjohn, and Welcome to Zorin! (Had to look up VPS = Virtual Private Server). Basically I don't think that will work. Zorin is a customised fork of Ubuntu (6 = 12.04 and 7.x 13.04). I am prepared to be corrected but for now I think the answer is a definite no!

mahjohn

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:59:45 pm

thanks for the info....I know I can install the Ubuntu desktop, but not really looking to install ALL the other c*** that comes with it. I'm sure Linux purists would say "just use the terminal"....but really...c'mon, if you want people to adopt Linux, make it usable.....this is why I love Zorin. I need to spend time using the O/S, not programming the O/S.

If anyone knows of something simple and clean that would work, please reply...thanks.

Wolfman

Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:59:59 am

Hi mahjohn,

I don't do it myself but this might be of some help or at least give you an idea or two:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Player

I know it is not really what you wanted but as I said, it might give you an idea!.

Regards Wolfman :D

garrettlmills

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:14:57 pm

This may be a little impure on a Zorin site, but when i need a lightweight DE on my server i use LXDE. It has a layout similar to windows (Start menu and task bar) and zorin. It is lightweight and too me about 2 minutes to install on my ubuntu 13.10 sysem.

Code:
sudo apt-get install lxde

I would try this because it is compatible with all the applications on ubuntu, but they are not required for it to run.

Good Luck!

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:26:03 pm

garrettlmills wrote:This may be a little impure on a Zorin site, but when i need a lightweight DE on my server i use LXDE. It has a layout similar to windows (Start menu and task bar) and zorin. It is lightweight and too me about 2 minutes to install on my ubuntu 13.10 sysem.

Code:
sudo apt-get install lxde

I would try this because it is compatible with all the applications on ubuntu, but they are not required for it to run.

Good Luck!

Not impure at all friend! I don't think my post is still around but I did post a picture of Zorin with LXDE! :D If I find it I will post back here!

Here you go!

Beyond imagining screenshot.jpg

[In fact a very nice distro for multimedia fans uses LXDE and based on Debian - AVLinux ;) ]