This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 7 scrolling problem

Jonathan_Livingston

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:14:17 pm

Hi

I can not use scrollbar in the way as I am used to from Windows. In Windows I can move the mouse cursor till the end of right side of screen and still I can grab scrollbar. In Zorin OS I have to move one or two pixels to the left in order to do that. This makes my daily work very unpleasant in Zorin OS. It happens as in Google Chrome and file explorer.

Is this a failure or a feature of Zorin OS? btw i did not try this out on another PC. I hope there is a way to solve this problem :D

Thank you :D

JL

Wolfman

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:08:11 am

Hi JL,

first run a full system update with this terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Jonathan_Livingston

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:36:53 pm

Wolfman wrote:
first run a full system update with this terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

From here it just does not move forward...

Wolfman

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:25:11 am

Hi,

it sticks at that point for several moments/minutes becuse it has to extract the new flash player from a tar file, if you wait long enough, it will continue, try it again!.

Jonathan_Livingston

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:39:37 pm

Hi Wolfman

I did all updates available via recommended command. The problem persists.

I just found out, that neither on the left nor on the right side of screen, both left and right mouse button do not function. I have to move, I would say, one pixel away from border to make them function.

Wolfman

Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:17:31 am

Hi JL,

try installing the app "gpointing-device-settings", I am not sure if it will help but it may help you setup the mouse better, via a terminal with this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings

Let us know how you get on.

Jonathan_Livingston

Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:13:55 am

Thank you for advice, I installed the program but it does not seem to help. My mouse and touchpad are working fine, I just can not use mouse buttons when being on the right or left border of screen. The upper border is ok :D I just tried changing the display resolution, but the problem persists no matter what resolution I use. Am I the only one who experiences this? Should i try reinstal?

thank you

Wolfman

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:55:26 am

Hi JL,

have you tried changing the theme as it might be related to that?.

Jonathan_Livingston

Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:32:05 pm

Hi Wolfman

if you did mean changing to Windows XP Theme or Gnome2 Theme, the problem is still there. Any idea? :(

thank you

Wolfman

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:25:43 am

Hi JL,

no!, I meant to actually change the desktop theme from say Adwaita to Ambiance!, not the complete desktop look changer thingy from Zorin!.

Jonathan_Livingston

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:41:54 pm

Hi Wolfman

I followed your advice(now I have a new theme :mrgreen: ) but the problem is still there... :| any more ideas?

thank you

Wolfman

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:10:31 am

Hi JL,

you can try running this terminal command but don't hold your breath!:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Are you using a USB mouse and can you move it to a different USB port?.

Hope it helps.

Jonathan_Livingston

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:31:11 pm

Hi Wolfman

I tried the command but the mouse remains (probably) the same, plugging it in another port didn't help.

But afterwards I noticed few interesting things, which I didn't try out earlier.

While using the touchpad, when I move continuously to right, at the point when arriving on the right border, the mouse pointer moves in a quick motion one pixel to left and one pixel to right. This happens, when having a window opened and also when looking at desktop.

When I move to right border of screen and remain there and then press the left touchpad button, the mouse cursor jumps one or two pixels to left :o pressing left mouse button does not cause this jump.

What do you think about that? :)

Wolfman

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:53:57 am

Hi JL,

I have noticed a bit of jumping now and again but I am always switching between various Linux versions and haven't really paid much attention to it. I don't have an answer for you really sorry!. Take a look at your other thread which is basically covering the same topic anyway!.